1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Alpha 8 digital out problem!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by thebigboss, Feb 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. thebigboss

thebigboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a portable MD recorder and want to record digitaly from my Arcam Alpha 8 cd player so I have bought a Profigold 481 digital lead which in turn is fed through a Vivanco coax/optical converter.

The problem is that when I try to record it marks a track on the MD every few seconds and each time it makes a mark you get a judder in the sound. Also I have noticed when the MD is in sync mode waiting for a signal I can hear lots of pops and clicks. I have tried the lead and converter on a dvd player and it works fine so It must be the digital out on my Arcam.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this problem?

P.S. Would it be wise to upgrade the optical cable which I got free with my Sony MD.

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Sounds like your digital output is goosed, I have seen a few cases recently where people connecting to offboard DACs, namely Tag DAC 20 have been unable to get a lock on their DACs all due to the digital output on the CD player being f’nackered :

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4056

You could contact Arcam and see if any repair could be done to the units digital output, I think one area that may be of concern is the Vivanco coaxial/optical convertor, even though you have tried your DVD player with it. It may be the culprit when fed with the Arcams digital output, I think you are probably using a little portable MD recorder Id imagine, the leads that come with these units does not inspire confidence. Ie can you try the Arcam 8 into a full size MD or CDR deck with the coaxial or optical link without the convertor in place. Anyway just some thoughts.

3. thebigboss

thebigboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will do some testing this weekend.