1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Alpha 8 cd player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by SOUNDSTYLE, Feb 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Does anyone who owns this cd player have problems with the power button not clicking into position (I don't know any other way to explain it) once the button is pressed.

I had to press it at least ten times last night before the power would turn on.

Could the spring for the power button be on it's way out?

Thanks

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Not with an Arcam CD player ... but my dad use to have a Sony TV that the power switch would sometimes act like you're describing ... in the end he took it to an service engineer who replaced the switch ... I don't think you'd be able to just replace the spring.

Drop Arcam a line, I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction of someone who can replace the power switch for you.

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have an Arcam 8. But I don't have a problem because I leave it powered up all the time, which I recommend you do as all hifi gear works better left on. It's pretty obvious you have a faulty switch contact, but why go to the bother of having it repaired when the player will thank you for leaving it on? If the display bothers you, I'm sure you're aware it can be disabled - which you should also do for optimum sound quality.

4. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I thought you didn't have to leave it on with this make.
    As long as the cd player is connected to the power supply it will keep the important parts ready for when you want to play a cd.
    If you listen carefully you can hear a hum from the cd player.
    I might be wrong though, but I'm sure I read it in the instruction booklet which came with it.
    I do leave my amps on at all times though.:)

5. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Soundstyle - interesting, I am facing the disagreeable concept of being wrong!* I still think the easiest fix is to leave it powered up all the time and just disconnect from the mains when you go on your hols.

*Diane Keaton: "What you're saying is all wrong, and why are you in such a bad mood anyway?"
    Woody Allen: "It's very depressing to be disagreed with."