1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Alpha 7R amp V £300 AV amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phil1880, Jun 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. phil1880

phil1880

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Im new to this site, but I would like some advice,
    I currenty use my old Arcam Alfa 7 amp with my Limit 900se DVD and Eltax Liberty 5 speakers. I like the sound of of CD's but its not great for the sound from movies.
    My wife will only let me have one system in the house and I need a set up that will do both music and flims.
    I could afford about £300 to get an AV amp (denon1905?) and build a set up arround this. Would CD's be as good with a modern AV Amp at this price point or should I stick to the Arcam and get some better stereo speaker, I have read that an AV amp cost about 3 times the price of a stereo amp to get about the same quality, is this true?

Thanks for any advice Phil

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    IMO you will never get as good music replay from an AV system without spending a lot of money!
    In the past I had a Denon 3802 that was fed into Arcam Alpha 8r & 8p to bi-amp my speakers. this was the only way I could get CD replay that I was happy with. The 3802 was ok, but far from the sound quality I got from the Arcam amps.
    I don't know the Alpha 7 amp or the newer Denon receivers, but I would still think your Arcam will be better for music than any budget receiver. I would think you would need something like the Arcam AVR-250/300 to get as good music replay from an AV system, and that is far more than your current £300 budget.

Mark.

3. phil1880

phil1880

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I think that I am moving towards sticking with my amp, and not going for a full surround system. I will look at replacing my speakers with some better quality floor standers.
    Would it work if I got an active Sub, and attatched it to the Limit dvd900se's output and just kept the rest of the sound from a pair of floor standers through my Arcam stereo Amp (phono conected)? would this give more the bass for films and then I could turn it off for music/cd's

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If you connect the sub directly to your DVD player you will have no control over it's volume. What you should do is connect the output from your amp to the sub, and then output the sub to the speakers. Set the volume on the sub to your taste and then as the volume on the amp goes up & down it will adjust both the sub and the speakers output.
    When buying the sub just make sure that it has 'high level inputs' so it can accept the output from the amp.

Mark.