1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Alpha 6+ amp - using headphones

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Scot1970, Sep 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Scot1970

Scot1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there, I have had an Alpha 6 Plus amplifier for nearly 10 years. But tonight I used the headphone socket for the first time. I was surprised to find that the speakers do not cut out when the headphone jack is in the socket, i.e. when I'm listening on my headphones, I'm also hearing the speakers. Is this something Arcam has done deliberately, or is it perhaps because I have not used the headphone socket up until now that there is now a flaw?

Can you suggest a way around this? I suppose I could insert the speaker cables into the Speaker 2 outputs instead of the Speaker 1 outputs (the SP2 outputs have a cut-out button on the front panel), but I'd rather not have to do that.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I think this has always been how Arcam amps work. My Alpha 10 did not cut off the speakers. I also seem to rememeber that my old Alpha+ amp did not cut the speakers off.

As you say your SP1 output is unswitched. It would defeat the point if they went through a switch that cut the speakers off when you insert the headphone plug as this would break the direct path.

I think you will have to use SP2 if you want to turn the speakers off.

HTH

3. Scot1970

Scot1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers

4. planetbass

planetbass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about buying an Alpha 6 amp and I'm concerned about a couple of things that relate to the posts below:

If my single set of speakers is wired to SP2 so that I can use headphones and cut out the speakers, does that mean that I risk damaging the output stage as the "default" speaker output has no load across it?

Does this "straight-line" wiring of SP1 mean that the speakers go 'pop' when you switch the amp on? My old Alpha 3 used to do it and it used to tick me off (it's one of the reasons I sold the amp). I'd like to think that one of Avondale's "soft-start" modules could help but the casing is slim and there may be no scope to do this, even if I felt confident to to the mod myself.

This is one reason I've held onto my old Marantz PM32 this long - it's easy to live with.

Any comments guys? Thanks!

Chris

5. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    My AVR250 does mute the speakers when I plug in. My NAD T753 didn't.

Dan.