Arcam Alpha 5+ CD Player showing "ERR"

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by highstream, Feb 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. highstream

highstream
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just unpacked my Arcam Alpha 5 integrated amp and 5+ CD player, the latter last repaired and updated in Dec 2001; they had been in storage (boxed) for several years, from a basement storage room to a garage that's ranges from 38F to 65F (+3 to 17C), before ending up stacked in my living room corner for the past year. The amp is sounding good, but the CD player is returning "ERR" upon loading CDs. Being in the States, I've written Arcam to see if anyone is still doing repairs for them - and if it's worth trying to bring the player back to life (the set is intended for a sibling's living room). In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has a guess offhand what might lead to an ERR message, assuming good CDs. Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    It could just be a stuck drive motor. Does the disc spin? If not try taking the cover off and gently spin the disc. Failing that it is unlikely to be economic to repair unless you can find the parts to replace the mechanism/laser

3. highstream

highstream
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion. Gently spinning the disk didn't do it. In addition, since manually taking the tray in and out a couple of times, the tray has come disconnected from whatever carries it out with the button, so that a motor runs but no action. Oh well...