Arcam Alpha 10 Integrated Amp problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sebcobb, May 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. sebcobb

sebcobb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I’ve just joined the forum so hello all!

I need some help/advise with regards to my Alpha 10 integrated amp.

There is a low buzzing noise coming out of the unit itself, this continues even when the amp is switched off! Does anyone else have an Alpha 10? Is this problem normal? What can I do to get rid/minimise it?

Hope someone out there can help!!
    :lease:

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    It's probably the mains transformer. You can sometimes hear the core vibrating with the mains voltage.

As the Alpha 10 has a standby function the on/off switch could be after the mains transformer and so it will still buzz even when the unit it is "off".

Just a guess - I don't know for sure.

Hope this helps.

Dave

3. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    My Alpha 10 DAVE amp has the slightest hum - it is noticable only if you stick your ear to the machine - it is virtually silent in standby. The same goes for my 10P amp.
    My Alpha 9 CD player on the other hand is much "louder" in its hum even when the power sitch on the front panel is off - I understand that it has power to some circuits when plugged in.
    I tend to turn them off at the wall if I'm not using them for more than a few hours.

Hope this helps

4. sebcobb

sebcobb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the transformer changed as that was exactly what we thought it was but the sound is still there! Have spoken to the Arcam approved repairer that changed it and he is going to have another look!

I do have the DAVE module although I no longer use it and have tri-amped my PMC OB1’s with the two power amps (neither of which have the same buzz). I will mention your experience to the repairer as this could also be helpful although the buzz really is quite loud as I can here it from my sitting position when the volume is low!

Thank you both for your accurate and useful comments!

5. mcguiganp

mcguiganp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Definately sounds like the transformer. One thing to check is that the mounting bolt going through the middle of the toroidal transformer is tight enough. If not, this could give you some vibration. If the transformer still hums then you will probably have to replace it again. Get a better specced toroidal and you should be ok. CHeapie ones tend to hum like a bag of old socks ;)