1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arcam alpha 10 +10p

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by andrew constant, Dec 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what does the gain on the back of the amp actually do ?...does it increase or decrease the bass.

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The Gain Button does not affet the bass at all. It changes the amplification of the amplifer. (i.e the volume increase from input to output).

I quote form the manual

"Gain - This switch allows you to change the sensitivity of the amplifer to match the gain when biamping to external power amp. The normal position is suitable for use when biamping with ARCAM power amplifers such as the Alpha 9P or 10P. The low gain position is suitable for certain home theatre systems."

HOWEVER.

If you are using this amplifer to biamp a system, if you use the mormal setting on the tweeter and the low gain setting on the bass you will get less bass and visa versa, low gain on tweeter normal on base will give more base. This is not recomended, it will not harm the amplifer, but it will completely unbalance the frequency response of your speakers in an unpredicatable way. Both the amplifers should be set on the normal position.

Best Regards,
    Andrew

3. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your reply,i am using them with a av amp 2 get a better sound out of my front left & right speakers ,i am also doing this so i can adjust the bass using the av amp as i dont get a deep enough sound from my speakers.