1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam advises bi-amping, What do YOU say?(justified?)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by STIFA, Jan 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. STIFA

STIFA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As we all know Arcam.co.uk says that bi-amping is ADVISEABLE.
    Since there are many discussions concerning bi-amping (passive and active), I would like to learn from people who have tried it - does it justify the cost of two amps?

I have Alpha 9p and wondering which way to go - another integrated for bi-amp or just plain pre-amp.

Also any advices on pre-amps are welcome. Thanks

Mare

2. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have been running a 9 & 9p bi-amping some Kef Reference 3.2's for 3 years and yes theres a marked difference in clarity, image and power. It was even more marked when I shorted the 9p out a few weeks ago and had to go back to bi-wired on just the 9. You get so used to how stuff sounds, you sometimes dont appreciate what you've got until its gone. Anyway, Arcam have repaired the shorted amp "thanks", and I'm now impressed again. Well worth spending for a decent interconnect between the two amps though, else you'll end up making things worse.

3. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Certainly made a difference for me. I was biamping with just the AV300 then managed to get a P25/3 and biamped the front three channels. I was really surprised how much difference this made to the bass specifically.

4. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bi-amping can bring significant benifits. IMO this depends on the speakers though.

At the time I was using an AVR 300 with a pair of Acoustic energy AE1 Mk1's and to be honest it made no real difference - if it did it was not chalk and cheese.

I have always hankered after floor standing speakers and went to my dealer who has the same kit as me, on dem but in single amp mode and he suggested I hear a pair of Monitor Audo GR10 stand mounts first, result very nice, very lively but not really for me. He then replaced the speakers with GR20 floor standing speakers, they certainly gave more in certain areas but they were generally dissapointing, he left me to listen for 20 mins or more and I determined not to buy these.

He expressed some suprise at my lack of enthusiasm and I asked if he would bi-amp them, having done this the difference was startling, the speakers came alive, a totally different experience. I bought them.

If you have AVR300 and are not using the two rear outs, or have any other means of bi-amping, for the sake of a bit of cable for heavens sake give it a try, it could transform the sound emanating from your speakers.

Since then I have changed my kit around and now use a different amp combo for stereo that IMO is seriously good. :)

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may or may not make a difference, depending on many factors in your setup.

Arcam is of course advising it (as any other company does) simply to sell you more.

The only way to be sure is to test it in your own setup. However be sure that gains of the amps are matched for bi-amping.

6. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I agree with the above postings. I think Bi-amping can improve things depending on two main factors:

1. The design of the speakers

2. The capability of the Amps

I think the main part of the speaker design that affects bi-amping is the design of the two sections of the cross-over. By using bi-amping you are isolating the treble and bass parts of the cross-over and therefore any interaction between them. The area where they interact most is around the cross-over point which is normally slap bang in the mid-range.

If the amps are not able to drive the speakers properly then bi-amping splits the load up making life easier for each amp. A big factor in this is the power supply for the amp. An AVR300 has 7 channels to power from a single power supply however a P9 or P90 only has two or three channels.

The best advice is to try it out.

As for amp gains. I think all the Arcams have the same gain (or are switchable to the same gain.) This means you can mix and match the Alpha/Diva and FMJ ranges.

Hope this helps

7. scott brown

scott brown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have my von schweikert fronts biamped and love it. I have 4 channels of the p7 going to them and they sound sooo nice