1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam A90 versus FMJ A22/A32

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by bluesfan, Nov 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to choose between A90 (which I've heard) and A22/A32 (which I haven't) driving BW603s. Has anyone got any advice/opinions either way negative/positive wise to help me choose between them? I've heard the FMJs are a bit sharper or drier. I liked the warmth of the A90. Is that still there? One review suggested they preferred aspects of the A90 over the A32.

2. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afraid I haven't heard the FMJ amps either but I have also read people saying the FMJ is a leaner not so warm sound. The last person who I read about comparing the two said he prefered the bass control of the A90 over the A32.
    I would be safer than sorry and book a demo if you can, as theres only one real way to find out!!

One thing I would personally consider is that I found the 603's I demo'ed could be a little heavy handed with the bass on occassions. If you are keeping the 603's long term then a slightly leaner bass from the A32 may match them a little better....just a thought??

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, At last a reply!

Yeah the 603s are a bit boomy. I think that's a good point. The A90 did sound warm and that helps with long listening but some people complained it's not lively enough. Perhaps the A32 is the answer.

4. NAA

NAA
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO
    Between A85 & A90 i've prefer A85.
    Between A90 & A32 i've prefer A32.

A90 have warm sonic, i am agree, may heard A32 a long time without weariness. But without humour too. Try compare your A85 and A90. You must uderstand.

P.S. Difference in bass control is not most important in music, if you dont need Disco in House.

5. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really wonder how one can possibly prefer the A85 over to the A90... Honestly.
    Basically, these two amps must have exactly the same sound characteristics. Its just that the A90 must have a slight edge because of better control and its ability to drive more demanding speakers.

My two cents.

6. NAA

NAA
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. I assure you that, you can not feel 5 Watt difference in test A85 & A90. Or it will be very very small.
    2. Try compare both two Amps, and can say all yourself. :smoke:

7. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the A90 was much better than A80 when I demoed but if you think the A85 is close to the A90 (and I could probably getting cheaper) gives me something to think about.

This isn't an exact science I know but try finding a shop with an A22/A32 to demo in Yorks - impossible.

8. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not directly compared A85 with A90 but when I've demo'ed other stuff an A90 has been used in place of my A85 and I haven't noticed any real difference, but then I don't suppose I would have done given the scenario! I doubt there would be a great difference between the two in a direct comparison though.

In any case, hurry up and get a demo on the A32, if your quick there's an A32 on ethingy at the moment with 6 days to go...may be of interest to you??? If not i've seen A85's going for about £450 in good condition and you could do far worse than that.