1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam A85/DV88+ expansion or AVR200?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vanwel, Feb 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've already got some help about this subject, but I'm going to need a little more.
    At the moment I have an Arcam A85 and DV88+. I would like to go to 5.1 sound (don't have space for more) and would like to stick with Arcam. I like the brand and I'd really like to keep one style in my system.
    I'v got a budget of +/- 1500 quid (as you seem call it in England. Why is that?), or 2500 EURO, excluding speakers.
    The FMJ range regrettably, is a no go.
    That leaves me with two options. Buying the AVR200 or upgrading my current system with add-ons.

AVR - 1500 EURO

or

P85/3 - 1500 EURO
    6ch board for A85 - 400-500 EURO? (est., don't really have a clue)
    DVD-A board for DV88+ - 300 EURO (est.)

Second option would come down to 2200-2300 EURO. Far more expensive than the complete AVR200!
    However, a lot of people seem to think the AVR200 is outdated. I'm not really into home cinema yet, so I wouldn't know.
    The upgrade option would give me better 5.1 sound. But how is that possible? It gives me 5.1 sound, but nothing more, right?
    The AVR200 has prologic II and stuff like that. Don't think the other option has that? Don't really know if I need it, just like DTS NEO. That makes it possible to listen to stereo in surround or something like that?
    I hope you guys can clear things up for me and I'd like you to tell me what would be the better choice.

Thanks!

2. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'quid' it is just a slang term for pounds, we use it in Scotland also.

I hope the AVR200 is not outdated (like you say you only need 5.1) as I have just bought an DV88+ and the AVR200.

Mike

3. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, if you like it, then it shouldn't matter what others say. It has DPLII en most things you need, but it is especially good with stereo music and that's great! But since I already have an A85, I'd like a receiver which is more movie orientated.
    But hey, maybe I don't hear the difference between the AVR200 and other receivers. I'm thinking about buying the Sony DB1080 or the Yamaha RX-V630RDS, costing 1/3 of the Arcam.
    However, I think the Arcam looks so beauuuuutiful! :cool: I NEED that design!

4. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've also just bought a DV88 (2nd hand) and an AVR200 and really like them although my primary reason for purchase was their stereo performance as I have to admit to enjoying the AV performance of other similar priced amps more. The Sony 555es in particular just had so much more impact.

Why not get the AVR200 now, run the front channels with the A85 and then consider a P85/3 later if you think you need it?

Ben.

p.s. The Sony / Pioneer pair that I also seriously considered wouldn't have looked as good in my front room as the Arcam gear does. Everybody loves it!

5. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Arcam gear sure looks good! :cool: Don't need and don't want an AV rack with doors in it! :D
    However, as you already stated, HT performance is not up to par with other similar and lower priced products. So getting an AVR200 is pretty useless, because I already have an even better performing stereo amp.
    I think I'd better buy myself an ugly Yamaha 630 or Sony 1080. I think they are better for movies, right?
    I'm just hoping Arcam will release new HT gear in their DiVA range soon!