Arcam a65+ and Yarland tube amp combo

ernest74

Standard Member
Hi all,

While deciding whether to use the Arcam A65+ or the Yarland FV34C as my main amp I though of using both!
Basically the idea would be to use the Yarland (10w push-pull tube amp) as a power amp and the Arcam as a pre...
I've always use integrated amps, so I don't know much about pre-power combos...

Can anyone advise if this is an idea worth considering or if I'm talking nonsense?

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

While deciding whether to use the Arcam A65+ or the Yarland FV34C as my main amp I though of using both!
Basically the idea would be to use the Yarland (10w push-pull tube amp) as a power amp and the Arcam as a pre...
I've always use integrated amps, so I don't know much about pre-power combos...

Can anyone advise if this is an idea worth considering or if I'm talking nonsense?

Depends very much on the speakers and room size.

The 10W output of the Yarland will be fine for relatively efficient speakers,or a small room,or both,but won't really work with other situations.

Do you already have both of these amps?...if so,my advice would simply be to try it.

Seeker_UK

Looking at the Yarland, I can't see a "power in" ie connection that bypasses the preamp section. So it would be tricky to run it as a power amplifier without having it modified.

ernest74

Standard Member
Depends very much on the speakers and room size.

The 10W output of the Yarland will be fine for relatively efficient speakers,or a small room,or both,but won't really work with other situations.

Do you already have both of these amps?...if so,my advice would simply be to try it.

The room is pretty small and the speakers sensitivity is 88db...

And yes, I do have both amps already...I bought the Arcam in the UK before moving the Yarland from Italy...
Yesterday I connected them together, pre-amp out from the Arcam to the cd input on the Yarland...It worked, but I have to keep the Yarland volume quite high (almost at the maximum) and then control the actual volume from the Arcam...almost like a musical instrument amp, with gain and pre volumes...

I'll do more tests during the week...

ernest74

Standard Member
Looking at the Yarland, I can't see a "power in" ie connection that bypasses the preamp section. So it would be tricky to run it as a power amplifier without having it modified.

True...but I'm sure I've read somewhere that technically the Yarland is a power amplifier with an input selector...

alexs2

Distinguished Member
True...but I'm sure I've read somewhere that technically the Yarland is a power amplifier with an input selector...

If the Yarland is an integrated amp,and doesn't have a poweramp in,then all you'll be doing is using the Arcam to drive the Yarland's preamp section.

Seeker_UK

The Yarland will struggle with speakers with 88db sensitivity which is why you're running the volume at max.

ernest74

Standard Member
The Yarland will struggle with speakers with 88db sensitivity which is why you're running the volume at max.

yeah, I understand that, but why if I use the Yarland only I don't have any problems with volume? at 9 o'clock it's already enough...

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The cause of the volume problem is that you are using two preamps in sequence, and a preamp typically attenuates - especially when you use it as the volume control.

At a minimum you need to set the volume of the Arcam to be nearly maximum and control the volume on the Yarland. I would question the sound quality of this setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom