1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam A32 volume

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by marcus2704, Jul 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Quick question to hopefully put my mind at rest as Im a new A32 owner as of two days ago.

After going from a 9/9p combination to the A32, driving large paradigm twin-coned floorstanding speakers, Im concerned that I have to set the A32 to -15 Db before it becomes what I would call 'loud' when playing DVDs. Im able to max the volume by which time its considerably loud, but should I even be able to drive it that hard? Input trim has been set to +8.

Am I just missing the benefit of bi-amping which I could solve by purchasing a FMJ series power amp? Is this a normal level for the A32 range and Im concerning myself over an issue that isnt there?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see that the A32 is 100W/8Ohm and 150W/4 so I'd be surprised if it is not powerful enough. What setting did you use on the 9/9P? Did that use a dB scale (I'm thinking that different log laws might apply and you might have had the 9 on a higher volume than you thought)?

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    HI,

The old 9 amp had a very large amount of "head room" on the volume control and the amplifer would have been in clipping at around half volume. Since with digital volume controls there is really no need for all this extra head room we have set the A32 (and other electronic control amps) to have much less of this useless headroom above clipping.

At full volume on a A32 the amplifer will be driven into clipping by a normal input signal from a CD player. With a DVD it will be driven into clipping in loud parts of the movie and may not seem that loud in quite passages (although Ill bet it is still pretty loud) this is simply because DVDs have so much dynamic range i.e they can go from very soft to very loud in a movie. Since to go any louder risks damage to your speakers there really isnt any need for more volume range.

Bi Amping your speakers will not increase the volume it may reduce clipping at very high volumes however this will tend to make it sound quiter, not louder. The volume level will remain the same as that is set by the preamplifer.

Bottom Line, you amp is working correctly and you do not need to worry about it.

Regards,
    Andrew

4. marcus2704

marcus2704

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many thanks for your replies, Ive since found that certain DVDs seem to be 'louder' than others which ties in with what you say, for example the fight sequences in Kill bill sounded very loud whereas on a more sedate DVD but at the same volume level it sounded far quieter.

I may still investigate the power amp but at £850 Id need to be sure that the addition would be worth the money invested, if overall volume isnt increased then what is the main advantage of bi-amping? Am I right in thinking that there to be tighter bass response and clarity? I was suitably impressed by the 9P addition I made to my last setup.

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    HI,

Biamping will give you exactly the kind of improvement you heard on your old system with the 9P but as ever if possible listen to it first to make sure it is worth it to you.

Regards,
    Andrew