1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam 88 Suggestion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by garysteel, Apr 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. garysteel

garysteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've just jumped on the bandwagon yesterday, and bought the DV88. the very first thing I noticed was the Stop button issue. Checked all relevant net sources which led me here for a full account of what to expect, hmm maybe should have done this first. Well anyway, that this firmware is now available will put my mind at rest, although I would have expected more than LO08 and 1.3 buying now. (Sevenoaks Southampton contact Arcam monday for me for the update)

My one little itsy bitsy addition to the future (everyones got something) and someone might have suggested this and I've missed it - is being able to switch the machine on (without the Remote) from pressing the eject or play buttons. I know you can switch on by pressing the standby of and on but I don't like to do that, (Switch something off and then on) I like to leave the standby switch alone. When you decide you want to listen/watch something its easier when the machine is off and your nearer it at that moment than the remote, to touch the eject, and open ...or if you know the disc is in there just hit the play button as you walk by.

My little suggestion, if others agree that this is useful then a show of hands may spark some interest, or this may just be me out own my own being pedantic. Never the less, I've been impressed with the support and replies on the web from Arcam. This is my fourth DVD player (One Sony 715 and Two Pioneer 717, 737) and this DV88 appears to smash them all.

I too, would like to be able to DL updates and do it myself, but I see were Arcam are coming from, but would take that risk on myself as it would be instant access and no having to disconnect and move the kit.

Gary

2. UrbanTiger

UrbanTiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary,

Bought my DV88 from Sevenoaks in Epsom with that firmware etc just 2 weeks ago, but they did the update for me yesterday so thats OK :D

I agree with the 'eject to turn on' request. It would make the macro on my Pronto alot easier :)

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hear Hear I agree.. I am so used to hitting the eject button on my old Pioneer.. when it is in stand by mode.

For the Arcam it means either going and finding the remote.. or turning the player off/on which is a real pain.. It does make the standby mode sort of redundant...

Matt