1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam 720p/1080i DVD player ?????

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Hifi addict, Dec 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will there be a Arcam DVD player who will support the 720p/1080i display modes in the near future?

Or would the DV79 / DV29 be upgradable to that ? (through software update or a hardware add-on board) :confused: :confused:

2. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Never say never! One rarely knows what goes on in the bowels of any R&D department!

Arcam currently believe that their players offer the best audo/visual performance for the money and encourage non scaled transmission of video to the display. Many display devices (front projection) incorporate high quality scalers for just that purpose. Perhaps it is better to transmit a lower bandwidth signal, minimising data loss and errors - after all, there is a lucrative market for external scalers!!

3. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, but them maybe a strange question, but what signal does DVD 'contain'. If they hold 576p then upscaling would indeed not be to great.

I see that fi. the marantz 9500 does have 720p/1080i so wondering if I should go for that or stick to Arcam (what I prefer). I believe that using 720p would again be a big step up the quality ladder

4. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  5. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Very simply,

DVD as it is a digital medium has finite steps and boundaries (resolution and colour bit depth), say 720 x 576 at 8 bits per RGB value

Digital display devices also have fixed resolutions and colour bit depth say 1280 x 720 at 8 bits per RGB value.

In order to make DVD fit the display device, scaling must be involved (stretching, shrinking, processing, anti aliasing etc etc) whether that be at the source or in the display.

Therefore, the strength of the scaler at either end of the transmision wire (HDMI, DVI) dictates the best place for the scaling to be performed. Plasmas tend to have mediocre scalers compared to projectors and especially external scalers (DVDO, Lumagen, Crystalio etc) hence passing the least processed signal (480i/576i) from source to scaler should be considered the best method. Also, SDI (Serial Digital Interface) is a broadcast quality raw signal stream straight from a DVD Mpeg decoder.

This is Arcam's current stance on the situation. Consumer trends suggest feature packed DVD players as the best and most desirable solution. If you get the oportunity try and get a demo of all these methods and see for yourself what you perceive to be the best!

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The only advantage I can se for 720p / 1080i is if the panel based display device you are using has exactly that resolution, otherwise you are going through two scaling stages. Does the Pioneer 435 HDE have a native 720p panel?

7. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic: the pioneer 435 is capable of displaying 720p/1080i so that would be using his maximum resolution

and Mad: thanks for the explanation..... learning all the time.
    So the 576p of the arcam is not even near as the 720p that my screen can display?

8. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Addict,

Neither is 720p the same as the 768 lines of the pioneer panel!

The panel will accept many signal types though will scale certain resolutions better than others. The Arcam DVD players are very good and it will take something special to give you significantly noticeable picture benefits.

The last piece of advice and probably the best is to go and check out some of the usual suspects, Arcam DV27a, DV29, Marantz 9500, Pioneer 868, Denon 3910 and let YOUR eyes be the judge!

Good luck and merry xmas....

9. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll do that. I believe my dealer has all those models you mentioned. It will take some hours though.... :D

thanks
    Marcel

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Mad Daren

from memory you panel is something like 1024 x 768. This is NOT 720p. It will however accept 720p and 1080i. What happens is the the dvd player deinterlaces the signal fro 576i to 576p. You want it to then scale to 720p. The panel doesn't talk 720p but only 1024 x 768 so it rescales again. Two scaling operations is less than ideal. Personally I prefer to let the player just deinterlace to 576p and send that to the Pioneer. This is then scaled to 1024 x 768 in one go. Personally I think this is the best way to go before you buy a dedicated scaler. 720p and 1080i sound wonderful but the reality is they are ONLY great when the native resolution is 720p and 1080i and the panel can accept the native resolution at the required frequency. Just a tip from someone who 'plays' ith these things ;)

11. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's the problem with the whole idea of the upconverting/upsclaing DVD players. If the scaled image output by the player is not exactly the display's native resolution, the display will just scale it again. One of the reasons dedicated scalers are expensive is that they can be configured to match display resolution exactly so that scaling only happens once. If your setup ends up scaling video more than once quality is that more likely to suffer as a result.

I'm happy sending 480p to my 720p display and will wait for something else when there's actually HD source material to play (if the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle doesn't ruin things for us).

12. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, didn't think this matter was so complex, but now i am a little bit wiser.... i'll let my eye's decide then, but what i am hearing here is that the DV79 would be fine with my pio 435

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    use your eyes and ears 8is a greta way forward. The 79 is a great playe in my book, great combo with Pio

14. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I ordered my DV79 today and hope to get it just before the year end.

15. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My 435XDE reports a 525p for ntsc and 625p for pal according to the little info box up in top right corner, when feeding material from my DV79 via HDMI
    as you would expect.

It only reports 480p if I run a pal xbox game, and 525p when playing NTSC Burnout3 :), via my modded xbox with Hidef Cable.

Results on the whole are pretty good, apart from how it handles dark scenes, where like all plasmas you lose pretty much all definition.