• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Arcam 350 turning up Friday, tips on setting up please.

Nick Webb

Standard Member
Hi, i'm replacing my Onkyo 805 with an Arcam 350 which i'm picking up this Friday.

My Onkyo was professionally installed as technically i don't have much of a clue.

I'm gonna swap all the leads over to the relevant sockets and then refer to the manual. Does anybody have any tips for me or settings i should be putting in?

Alternatively, if anybody lives near Chippenham,Wilts i'd be willing to pay about £25 for someone to do it for me.

Advice/tips most welcome and thanks in advance.

Nick.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What speakers have you got? as this will impact how you set the amp up.
As a start you can look at all the settings in your Onkyo and then put them as far as possible into the Arcam.
The 350 manual was fairly easy to follow when I set mine up with nicely laid out On Screen Display.
If you do not have a sound meter (guessing you do not from what you have said above) then use your ears to judge if the relative levels of each speaker are the same. The sub will always sound a little quieter than the other speakers.

-Matt-

Established Member
Just send it to me! :devil:

I'm sure there are people on this board (especially in the arcam owners area) who could guide you through the process, however, more information is required. What sources do you have and what connections do these provide? What tv and speakers etc?

Good luck with the amp - I was looking for one of these myself - I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with the sound.

Nick Webb

Standard Member
How do i find the Arcam owners' forum?

My tv Fujitsu 42" 58 series plasma with Fujitsu clip on speaker, for tv only.
Xbow 360 optical cable into amp other leads into tv.
Pioneer 989 dvd player, hdmi inti tv and coaxial into amp, i think.
Samsung 1500 bluray hdmi into amp.
Cabasse Eole 5.1 speakers and sub.

I realise i'm going to need some leads for the Samsung into the amp for audio but what are these leads called? On the back of the Samsung there is a left and a right socket for audio out.

Nick.

Jaunty

Prominent Member
How do i find the Arcam owners' forum?

My tv Fujitsu 42" 58 series plasma with Fujitsu clip on speaker, for tv only.
Xbow 360 optical cable into amp other leads into tv.
Pioneer 989 dvd player, hdmi inti tv and coaxial into amp, i think.
Samsung 1500 bluray hdmi into amp.
Cabasse Eole 5.1 speakers and sub.

I realise i'm going to need some leads for the Samsung into the amp for audio but what are these leads called? On the back of the Samsung there is a left and a right socket for audio out.

Nick.

The Arcam will not handle audio over HDMI. So you want the Samsung 1500 HDMI to go straight to the Plasma for the picture, but want an a optical cable from the 1500 to the Arcam AVR350 for audio. The 1500 will re-encode TrueHD audio and send it as a DTS signal to the Arcam.

I assume you could use the 1500 audio outs in to the Plasma (if it has anlogue inputs) for basic stereo sound without turning the amp on, otherwise you won't need them. I think.

johnc7803

Standard Member
Nick,

depends how lazy you want to be when watching different sources,

you could connect both the players to the 350 via HDMI (picture only) and then use a another connection for the audio (either optical or digital, 350 has 3 of each available and these can be attached via the menus to any source).
Using the existing co-axial and HMDI from the Pioneer.

For the Samsung Audio, depends what outputs it has available, could be a single phono lead for a digital connection, 2 phonos L&R or maybe 6 phonos for Multi channel - don't know much about that one.

For the Xbox, i used the lead that came with it to connect to the AV Optical in for the Audio, and Component "High Quality Video In" as marked on the back of the 350 (3 plugs) - then you get Halo 3 in full surround sound.

There's plenty of options, but maybe just easier first time to try to match up with the existing sockets - with pen and paper or digital camera...

Good luck and happy watching and listening.

john

Da Philster

Established Member
:)
The Arcam will not handle audio over HDMI. So you want the Samsung 1500 HDMI to go straight to the Plasma for the picture, but want an a optical cable from the 1500 to the Arcam AVR350 for audio. The 1500 will re-encode TrueHD audio and send it as a DTS signal to the Arcam.

I assume you could use the 1500 audio outs in to the Plasma (if it has anlogue inputs) for basic stereo sound without turning the amp on, otherwise you won't need them. I think.

Jaunty is spot on:thumbsup:. Its an interesting change as you may miss the auto calibration and hd audio of the onkyo. The benefits of the Arcam is that its imo(and many many others) a far superior musical amp and although it only uses legacy codecs ie dd/dts etc the arcam reveals all the delicacys of the audio mix whilst having seamless front to rear integration where as i always found the Onkyo a bit heavy handed and lacking in some of the more subtle shifts on the soundtrack.

Just out of interest, do you use the multi-analogues from your Pioneer 989 or do you own any sacd/dvd-audio discs as the Arcam again produces an engaging listen if you do? If you can, pick up a sound pressure level meter (spl) from maplins etc and set it to C weighting/slow response with the db set for all speakers at 75db this will give you a balanced audio across all the speakers.Any further info required on this matter us Arcam lot will be happy to help you.Good luck and i hope you have many hours of fun.:)

Nick Webb

Standard Member
:)

Jaunty is spot on:thumbsup:. Its an interesting change as you may miss the auto calibration and hd audio of the onkyo. The benefits of the Arcam is that its imo(and many many others) a far superior musical amp and although it only uses legacy codecs ie dd/dts etc the arcam reveals all the delicacys of the audio mix whilst having seamless front to rear integration where as i always found the Onkyo a bit heavy handed and lacking in some of the more subtle shifts on the soundtrack.

Just out of interest, do you use the multi-analogues from your Pioneer 989 or do you own any sacd/dvd-audio discs as the Arcam again produces an engaging listen if you do? If you can, pick up a sound pressure level meter (spl) from maplins etc and set it to C weighting/slow response with the db set for all speakers at 75db this will give you a balanced audio across all the speakers.Any further info required on this matter us Arcam lot will be happy to help you.Good luck and i hope you have many hours of fun.:)

Hi,

thanks for the input.

I've had to sell my two channel system (Primare I30, Arcam cd36, Wilson Benesch Arcs) due to financial reasons. So i need my av system to do better with music.

This is my first proper av system and i went for the Onkyo because it could decode all the bluray hd codecs and all the Onkyo amps around the time were cleaning up in the awards.

I did consider the Arcam at the time as i've owned much from the brand over the years and i like there cdp's a lot. I had an A90 integrated which was a little disappointing to me so i decided to go for the newer technology in the Onkyo.

At first i thought it was really good for movies not so impressed as times gone on. I just find the bass/sub a bit wayward at times. I've turned the volume and bass levels down on it. Never needed it for music before but now i do it's unlistenable. Now using 5.1 sattellites(Cabasse Eole £1400) i'm not expecting the world but i'm sure it can sound better. I even bought an Arcam 192 cdp and used that instead of the Pioneer 989 (£900)but still no good. So i'm taking a punt on the Arcam and buying blind. From the reviews i've read it's supposed to have a firm grip on bass and pretty decent for music, Fingers crossed. I read on here that someone said it was bright. I'm curious to know what it sounds like for films, very different compared to the Onkyo no doubt.

I'm really hoping the 350 works for me. Picking an ex dem up this Friday.

Nick Webb

Standard Member
Hi,

thanks for the input.

I've had to sell my two channel system (Primare I30, Arcam cd36, Wilson Benesch Arcs) due to financial reasons. So i need my av system to do better with music.

This is my first proper av system and i went for the Onkyo because it could decode all the bluray hd codecs and all the Onkyo amps around the time were cleaning up in the awards.

I did consider the Arcam at the time as i've owned much from the brand over the years and i like there cdp's a lot. I had an A90 integrated which was a little disappointing to me so i decided to go for the newer technology in the Onkyo.

At first i thought it was really good for movies not so impressed as times gone on. I just find the bass/sub a bit wayward at times. I've turned the volume and bass levels down on it. Never needed it for music before but now i do it's unlistenable. Now using 5.1 sattellites(Cabasse Eole £1400) i'm not expecting the world but i'm sure it can sound better. I even bought an Arcam 192 cdp and used that instead of the Pioneer 989 (£900)but still no good. So i'm taking a punt on the Arcam and buying blind. From the reviews i've read it's supposed to have a firm grip on bass and pretty decent for music, Fingers crossed. I read on here that someone said it was bright. I'm curious to know what it sounds like for films, very different compared to the Onkyo no doubt.

I'm using coaxial into the amp from the Pioneer and yes i get Halo in 5.1 :D
Haven't tried sacd or dvd audio, can my Pioneer play them? :eek:

Da Philster

Established Member
Hi,

thanks for the input.

Sorry to hear you had to sell off the the primare,arcam,wilson combo, defo hard to replace the particular sound that system gave you (i imagine you liked it a lot). Having spent some small amount of time with all three(not hooked up together and owned a cd36) you will be a little disapointed if expecting that silky detailed sound you had via the primare/wilsons but as a comparison to onkyo for music needs at least,a well recomended choice as it does a fine job of dynamic shifts and picking out the instruments from the rest of the audio mix.

Oh and yes i do believe the pioneer is a universal player but check it is ref the manual.

Post an update when you have it set up and run in on what you think.:)

Last edited:

Slackadder

Established Member
Nick,

The AVR350 should begreat (I have an AVR300) and for 2 channel itis very good.

If you were slightly closer, or I was passing by on the M4 (am next week) I would pop in and help you out (I even have a sound meter!). I will however PM you my phone number in case you need any help as I will be able to run through the menu functions etc if you need help.

I am sure however you will be fine, the Arcam does have loads of inputs but they are well labelled.

Good luck and enjoy the listening!

Anthony

Nick Webb

Standard Member
Okay, first issue that has stumped me after finally getting osd up and running is when i play a cd through my dvd player is that sound is only coming from the centre speaker. With films sound is coming from all speakers.

Please help.:lease:

Jaunty

Prominent Member
Don't tease us, what was up? :D

Hope all is going ok so far.

Nick Webb

Standard Member
Hi all,

ok here we go. First problem i had was getting the on screen display (osd) up and running. I'm only using the Arcam for audio, the bluray player and dvd player are going in to the tv via hdmi and audio into the amp via optical and coaxial. To access the osd i had to have leads going in to the Fujitsu display from the Arcam.Hmmmmmm what leads, where on the back of the amp, where in to the display?

After lots of searching the only leads i could muster was some old white, red,yellow ones from an old boxed playstation which was in the attic :mad:
I presumed these were like rgb leads. I guessed where they were supposed to go on the amp but i had no free space on the back of my display. Ihad to remove the ones from Sky which was a pain as they were a nightmare to get to, but it worked to my relief as i was itching to hear it.

The settings were easy enough, just kept all the speaker volumes at the same levels and put distances in which i recorded from the Onkyo which was professionally set up with a meter and audssey sound thing.

The next problem i had was remote not working. Realised i had to press the amp button.

Then i couldn't get sound other than from the center with cds. I then discovered the mode button, it was on mono :thumbsdow. Out of interest whet mode settings do you guys use for films, cds, music films? I quite like neo6 for music videos and cds. Haven't played with it too much yet though.

Compared to the Onkyo i have to say it is definately better. With movies the sound is much clearer and not so overwhelmed by the woofer. Watched Kung Fu Panda on bluray and although i was only getting dolby digital it was the best i've heard and seen for the matter in my system. It really was brathtaking. The scene when the bad kitty escapes from prison really was fantastic both visually and sonically. Switched to Bluray of Rambo to the explosion, you know that really big bomb about two thirds through. Awesome!
The sound is sharper, top end improvements most noticable. Bass still there but with more bite and attack. Seems to stop and start faster, no overhang if that's the right word. Also, seem to to be getting more information from the rear speakers which is surprising considering the Onkyo produces DTS HD and Dolby TRUE HD.

With music it is also better but i'm still not satisfied. I don't think i ever will be considering the quality of componets i had in my two channel set up. My Cabasse speakers as good as they are can never compete with Wilson Benesch Arcs £2700.

Unfortunately due to the awkward layout of my new front room i can't accommodate any thing other than sattelites :(

This is now a work in progress for me. Next upgrades i want is Pioneer LX91 bluray player, seems the obvious choice for the Arcam due to the money spent on the analogue outputs.

I also want th change the sub for a more musical one. Recommendations? Like the look of the B&W pv1, good match for the Arcam?

I've also come across a company called M&k who are now up and running again and produce high quality sattalites albeit very expensive.

Will also add a cdp. Will pick up a used Arcam 192 or Naim cd5. I 've previously owned both these models so know they can do a job. Will probably opt for the latter just to give my systen (with music) a bit more weight and solidity.

Well i think that's it. All in all happy and consider the upgrade successful.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Anthony, thanks for the offer but i guess i'm sorted now.

Nick.

Last edited:

mark.cup

Established Member
Hi Nick I have an Arcam AVR280 which is very similar to the 350

You need to get a spl meter & sort your levels out this is why your back speakers have come to life can sound impressive but they will probably be way to loud!

its reall easy to do & well worth the money I paid around £30 for mine

I find dolby pro logic 11x very good for music also try it in stereo then press the fx button till you get music which is Arcams stab at using all the speakers can sound superb:thumbsup:

As for a sub you cant go wrong with a BK XLS200 I have one & you get the added bonus of being able to use high & low level cables together which gives me the best of both worlds ie major bass for movies & a subtle punch at the bottom end with music

I also prefer my treble turned down on the eq for a warmer more relaxing listen I think this is due to many years of having a Marantz SR5200 which had a very warm rich sound

Nick Webb

Standard Member
Hi Nick I have an Arcam AVR280 which is very similar to the 350

You need to get a spl meter & sort your levels out this is why your back speakers have come to life can sound impressive but they will probably be way to loud!

its reall easy to do & well worth the money I paid around £30 for mine

I find dolby pro logic 11x very good for music also try it in stereo then press the fx button till you get music which is Arcams stab at using all the speakers can sound superb:thumbsup:

As for a sub you cant go wrong with a BK XLS200 I have one & you get the added bonus of being able to use high & low level cables together which gives me the best of both worlds ie major bass for movies & a subtle punch at the bottom end with music

I also prefer my treble turned down on the eq for a warmer more relaxing listen I think this is due to many years of having a Marantz SR5200 which had a very warm rich sound

Hi Mark,

i think you're right about getting a sound meter. One thing i've noticed is that dialogue is too quiet compared to action sequences. If i turn it up so dialogue is louder then action sequences are too loud.

Jaunty

Prominent Member
Nick I've belatedly put some comments in red as below

Hi all,

ok here we go. First problem i had was getting the on screen display (osd) up and running. I'm only using the Arcam for audio, the bluray player and dvd player are going in to the tv via hdmi and audio into the amp via optical and coaxial. To access the osd i had to have leads going in to the Fujitsu display from the Arcam.Hmmmmmm what leads, where on the back of the amp, where in to the display?-

After lots of searching the only leads i could muster was some old white, red,yellow ones from an old boxed playstation which was in the attic :mad:
I presumed these were like rgb leads. I guessed where they were supposed to go on the amp but i had no free space on the back of my display. Ihad to remove the ones from Sky which was a pain as they were a nightmare to get to, but it worked to my relief as i was itching to hear it----I just leave a basic composite cable from the Monitor Out connected to my Sony LCD for the odd times I want to dig in to the AVR350 settings

The settings were easy enough, just kept all the speaker volumes at the same levels and put distances in which i recorded from the Onkyo which was professionally set up with a meter and audssey sound thing.

The next problem i had was remote not working. Realised i had to press the amp button. ----- you're not the first :)

Then i couldn't get sound other than from the center with cds. I then discovered the mode button, it was on mono :thumbsdow.---- must have been doing your head in for a second!

Out of interest whet mode settings do you guys use for films, cds, music films? I quite like neo6 for music videos and cds. Haven't played with it too much yet though.------ I like Neo6 Music and straight Stereo (sometimes with sub, sometimes without) for Music. I prefer Neo6 Movies for processing of Stereo pver DPL II as well.

Compared to the Onkyo i have to say it is definately better. With movies the sound is much clearer and not so overwhelmed by the woofer. Watched Kung Fu Panda on bluray and although i was only getting dolby digital it was the best i've heard and seen for the matter in my system. It really was brathtaking. The scene when the bad kitty escapes from prison really was fantastic both visually and sonically. Switched to Bluray of Rambo to the explosion, you know that really big bomb about two thirds through. Awesome!
The sound is sharper, top end improvements most noticable. Bass still there but with more bite and attack. Seems to stop and start faster, no overhang if that's the right word. Also, seem to to be getting more information from the rear speakers which is surprising considering the Onkyo produces DTS HD and Dolby TRUE HD.

With music it is also better but i'm still not satisfied. I don't think i ever will be considering the quality of componets i had in my two channel set up. My Cabasse speakers as good as they are can never compete with Wilson Benesch Arcs £2700.

Unfortunately due to the awkward layout of my new front room i can't accommodate any thing other than sattelites :( ----- I guess we all need to compromise sometimes

This is now a work in progress for me. Next upgrades i want is Pioneer LX91 bluray player, seems the obvious choice for the Arcam due to the money spent on the analogue outputs. ---- I will be interested to see if you get one what you think

I also want th change the sub for a more musical one. Recommendations? Like the look of the B&W pv1, good match for the Arcam? ------ This is just from reading, but view is PV1 is good for it's size and aesthetics but for pure sound to the pound can be stomped on by SVS and BK Electronics rivals.

I've also come across a company called M&k who are now up and running again and produce high quality sattalites albeit very expensive.

Will also add a cdp. Will pick up a used Arcam 192 or Naim cd5. I 've previously owned both these models so know they can do a job. Will probably opt for the latter just to give my systen (with music) a bit more weight and solidity.---- can't really help, I now rip all my CDs to Apple Lossless and play them in through an Airport Extreme to the AVR350 and let it's DACs do the work

Well i think that's it. All in all happy and consider the upgrade successful.----- excellent :thumbsup:

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Anthony, thanks for the offer but i guess i'm sorted now.

Nick.

Cheers!

chrismilne

Standard Member
Hi Mark,

i think you're right about getting a sound meter. One thing i've noticed is that dialogue is too quiet compared to action sequences. If i turn it up so dialogue is louder then action sequences are too loud.

I think thats from the way they mix movies, i'm always complaining about that. Since i live in a condo I pretty much have to have the remote in my hands at all times to turn it down with things start blowing up. Even at high end theaters its often the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom