1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam 300 v Denon 3805

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by newbie265, Nov 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know this question has came up before but as these both have been out for a while now I wondered if a lot more people have compared them.
    i was sold on the Denon having had a demo until someone suggested I try the arcam as I watch a lot of music dvds.I already have a denon 2900 as I want to play sacds as well as dvd-a which the arcam cannot do.My speakers will be the monitor Audio silver s6s or s8s with centre and sfx surrounds and svspc plus 20-39.
    the Arcam in teh reviews seem to edge the denon but people on here say the Arcam lacks a little in teh power dept.As my room is only 23x12 surely the arcam would be more than enough and ould teh arcam go well with the MAs?
    Thanks in advance

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    IMO the Arcam is indeed not-too-powerful for power hungry speakers, but neither is the Denon (The AVR-300 is in fact better because its power is rated all channels driven while the Denon isn't).
    For pure sound quality the Arcam is certainly ahead of the Denon.
    Barend

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree. Denon is a little 'dry'. The midrange is a little missing warmth. Strangely the Denon is in someways better than the Arcam for movies (sound of explosions and space ships flying through space, etc!).

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, agreed on all points. I like to think of amps being "slow" or "fast".
    Arcam is a bit slow,with wonderful rich sound, while the Deon may sound better for heavy pop music or film explosions...
    But if you want detail and soul touching music, go for the Arcam.
    Although at first I only noticed some lack of bass reach (which was helped 100% by adding biamping by a Rotel RB990BX which is 2x200W @ 8 Ohms) I now also find in large orchestral tutti the mids & trebles are a bit compressed,
    verging on distortion.
    Which is why a Rotel RMB1095 (5x200W) is underway, can't wait!
    This beast is close to 32kg and has rear wheels to roll it in place!
    Barend

5. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmm seems I'm caught between a rock and a hard place as i love my music dvds but also love war/sci-films which you say the Denon is better at.is there a big difference in action movie experience between teh 2 amps,surly my excellent sub would compensate for explosions etc?

6. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like anything unless you're really fussy (like people on this forum) you will get used to the sound of either machine. On balance the Denon is obviously better value for what you get. I would pay more for the Arcam but not nearly twice as much!

The only other solution is to get a cheap Av amp with preouts and buy a dedicated integrated amp to drive the fronts. This is definitely the purist approach regardless of what that lot with avr300s will tell you.

7. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sure, the Arcam's a bit overpriced (had it cheap), but I can't feel I'm missing much out on action movies- they sound fine on the AVR300.
    If your sub is sound (mine's a REL 150E times two, under the rear surrounds) the kicks will come out just as on the Denon.
    And most good films have a very intricate and detail rich soundtrack, which is better on the Arcam- have your wife spin a romance and I'm sure shel'll need more hankies to wipe away the tears!
    But- as I said a heavy power amp on the fronts makes a difference on both!
    The Denon CAN be biamped but not easily- when I finally got mine running there was some hum coming out of the biamped speakers, and annoyingly so on soft passages in high dynamic SACD's.
    Suppose the hum's the reason why Denon advises against biamping...
    Also you must be careful- it's easy to blow up your speakers when you biamp because the gain setting and the master volume share the same control!
    None of this on the Arcam- but it only biamps the fronts.
    As for the DV79, if you have the space (and the money...) consider it, and add some second hand sacd player if you want; to tell you the truth the diffs between these (and I owned 5, starting with a Sony SCD-XE670 and currently owning the Denon 3910) are not very big sound wise.
    Barend
    Barend

8. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biamping thing on the Denon is really annoying. If Arcam can do it without hum so should Denon.

Barend what do you mean "None of this on the Arcam- but it only biamps the fronts". What else do you want to biamp?

9. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    With my new amp coming soon I would like to biamp the rears, because I have the AVR300 internal power channels spare anyway...
    Rotel RMB-1095 steers FLH+FLL+C+FRH+FRL and I would like it like this but can't:
    AVR300 steers SLH+SLL+SRH+SRL+SBC
    Barend

10. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok thanks for the advice guys ,been to sevenoaks today and took the plunge.
    Arcam av300 ,withe monitor silver s8's centre and sfx surrounds.Also arcam cd73t with p80 power amp which will be bi wired to the fronts.
    all complimented by the svspc plus :D :thumbsup: and 400 quid off.

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm pretty sure this setup will give you lots of listening fun!
    I guess the fronts are not too power hungry? If they're sensitive the AV8 will sound fine for the bass, else you better let the AVR handle the bass.
    And I suppose the CD73 isn't too different from my CD82, which still gives me a splendid rich sound!
    Excellent! :thumbsup:
    Barend