1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arcam 300 noise

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by aare, Nov 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. aare

aare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 months ago I bought Arcam 300 and right from the beginning i hear some low frequency noise through my speakers, like it would have bad power filtration. This nouse is hearable without signal and i can hear it between pauses also in 3 m distance (stereo direct), no matter what volume level and input is. After 80 dB this low freq. noise is louder. After switching input on dvd audio and back, this noise isn’t so hearable anymore, i could hear it only standing close to speakers. When reciever is on, then volume level of noise doesn’t rise anymore, but when i switch power off and then on again, then big noise comes back and then again on dvd audio input on and back and then noise is quiet again (same story). I think that this low freq. noise shouldn’t be hearable even when i listen to it standing very close to speakers. Anyway with Denon reciever i didn’t hear low freq. noise even on high volume level.
    Can it be software or hardware problem? Do all Arcam 300 have that noise when u listen to speakers standing close to them and it’s 01 dB (no matter what input)? Would like to know what John Dawson thinks, but also i would appreciate some comments from other Arcam 300 owners.
    :lease:

2. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just checked my avr300, no unexpected noise in any part of the spectrum

3. mgkaplan

mgkaplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience is that there is no extaneous noise. Why don't you check with your dealer, or send a message to Andy Dutton?

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried raising the ground ? (switch on the back of the receiver). it could be a ground issue.

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

This does sound like a mains supply ground loop problem. As mentioned in the last post, try the ground lift switch. If that doesnt help try disconnecting your sources one by one to see if any of them are causing a ground loop with the AVR300. The most likely sources are a cable box if you have one or a satelite system. However it could be any of the sources. It could also be the ariel feed if that is grounded, you usually only find this in apartments with a shared ariel. Remember to turn your AVR300 off before disconnecting any of the sources. If it is the cable or satelite box you can get ground isolators for them.

Regards,
    Andrew

6. aare

aare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All inputs are not connected, connected are only front speakers (JmLab),
    power cable is separately coming with ground from electricity
    shield, i tried also without ground Switch on the back of the
    reciever didn't help. After switching power on comes big low freq noise,
    that dissapears after i plug dvd audio in and after that also other inputs
    work normal without low freq. noise. After switching on stand by mode, low
    freq noise doesn't come back. When i switch the reciever off and then in
    again then low freq noise comes back and dissapears again after dvd audio
    pluging in.
    And when i install instead of 2,84 software 2,9 version then
    warranty stops (but i bought it from other country).

7. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Although your symptoms are not exactly the same as mine, they do seem to have some worrying similarities.

I returned mine to dealer, and was supplied a replacement unit which does not exibit any flaws whatsoever other than running hot enough to heat my house during the coming winter :)

I'd seriously look at getting the unit replaced one way or another.

btw the pics on Arcam website showing a DV79 stylishly placed on top of an AVR300 is probably the worst way of placing these units, the heat soak from the AVR300 passing through the DVD player is astounding, and I had to relocate mine for fear of warping my CD/DVD collection.

8. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I had the same problem a year ago with the AVR200. I returned the unit under warranty to Arcam and the main board inside was replaced. The unit no longer had the noise again.

9. aare

aare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is Arcam 300 manufactured only in China or in England also?