Arcade games on new Elite

ZebraheadDude

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

you're going to probably be thinking "that old chestnut", but like many others, I am unable to play my Live Arcade games on my Elite as they were downloaded on my old Core, and I have the XBox upstairs, away from my router (and I don't fancy running a 50ft cable down the stairs :rotfl:). I phoned up MS support twice but they couldn't give two s***s. Who can I talk to, to get my access to these games back (I have heard several reports indicating users who have made a new silver account and been refunded via email with codes to get their games back, how would I get the ball rolling with this?).

Cheers,

ZHD

Sorry to sound negative but MS has been saying for some time that upgraders to the Elite (like myself) will not be eligible for the points refund. Don't know why - crap way to treat customers. :mad:

Have a look at the last 10 pages or so of this thread:

http://forums.xbox.com/15042580/ShowPost.aspx

Bugger, guess i'll have to "deal" with it then :mad:.

Cheers for the reply :smashin:

You're welcome:smashin: - just wish the news was better!

I spoke to MS Tech Support again today and was told once more that the Elite was not eligible for the points transfer. When I asked them to explain why, the poor guy couldn't. :(

The entire gametag allocation system is flawed beyond belief. If you want to change the email the console or gamertag is connected with, its nearly impossible to get MS to do it.

My console is registered with a gamertag I was not able to use. I bought the console during december when MS where having issues recovering gamertags to xboxes. So I made a new gamertag to which to play with (the one I stuck with and use now). When I was eventually able to recover the original tag I made on xbox.com and had already registered my console to, I was told I could not shift the console registration to the new gamertag. WHICH IS ******** MS!

No-one is capable of doing a good job these days.

I really wish we could find out once and for all whether or not the lack of a proper fix for the DRM transfer problem is a case of MS being numpties and not being able to fix it or being bas***ds and choosing not to fix it.

At least then we would know if it's ineptitude or contempt on MS's part.

Sorry to sound negative but MS has been saying for some time that upgraders to the Elite (like myself) will not be eligible for the points refund. Don't know why - crap way to treat customers. :mad:

Have a look at the last 10 pages or so of this thread:

http://forums.xbox.com/15042580/ShowPost.aspx

Playing :devil: advocate..

Think of it this way you go to a mates house download all your arcade games and he can now play them all aswell, the only way for MS can stop this is to connect to live and check only one version is being played at once.. fair enough i say

I can see that MS wanted to prevent people moving their profiles around several consoles, downloading their arcade games onto each one giving their freids free games. So on the 'non-first' consoles only the profile that paid for the game can play it, but on the 'first' console there is no check on the profile.

But the rule is doesn't need to be as restrictive to rpevent game copying.

What MS could have done is that if you delete an arcade game from the 'first' console, whichever console you next download it to becomes the 'first' console.

This way there would still only be one console where the arcade game is unrestricted, so you can play it offline. This still prevents you giving arcade game to friends for free. But it would allow people upgrading to an Elite to delete all their arcade games from the console they trade in. When they delete the game it registers this on the profile. Then they can download the games onto their Elite, which then becomes the 'first' console the games was downloaded on.

I have no problem with the concept of DRM or indeed with MS protecting their intellectual property, however, I have a massive problem with the heavy-handed way it's been implemented. It adversely affects legitimate users - users who, in many cases, have already been inconvenienced by an inherently faulty product.

I believe that if they felt so inclined, MS could introduce a simple DRM transfer system whereby an MS support bod could deauthorise your old/broken 360 and authorise the content on the new/replacement/upgrade console.

Apple allow authorisation/deauthorisation of PCs for iTunes. Even MS themselves will reauthorise your copy of XP/Vista when it bombs out after a hardware upgrade. It shouldn't be that difficult for the coders at MS to introduce.

I've been having a read of a few other threads in this forum (past and present) and I'm surprised that relatively few people seem to know abot the DRM issue. I wonder if it's down to the fact that most people are constantly connected to XB Live and have only ever played the games using their own Live enabled profile.

I realise that it will become more widely known about as more people upgrade to the Elite, however, I do urge people that have been hit by this pathetic issue to read the thread that I linked to in one of my posts above.

I've been posting about it for a while.
Like you say, because most people are on Live all the time, they don't realise that they don't really own the content anymore. :eek:

Everyone, get on the phone to MS and give 'em hell about it.

the funny,or not so funny thing is,that if they decide to remove,for arguments sake,geometry wars,from the live store,so you cannot purchase it any more/re-download it again(after a replacement)you wont be able to play it any more,offline,as its a demo,or even online,as its not for sale,and if its not for sale,you cant play it,IF you have had a repair/replacement/upgrade.

the funny,or not so funny thing is,that if they decide to remove,for arguments sake,geometry wars,from the live store,so you cannot purchase it any more/re-download it again(after a replacement)you wont be able to play it any more,offline,as its a demo,or even online,as its not for sale,and if its not for sale,you cant play it,IF you have had a repair/replacement/upgrade.

Oof! Didn't think of that! :eek::(:mad:

Anyway, I've started a central thread for all this stuff. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613731

Erm you have a download history under the account details all purchases are listed in there even if its no longer on sale, i presume MS would leave it available this way.. if not im sure they would refund

yes,i am aware of that,but if you read the small print on their terms and conditions,they state that if they remove the game from sale,then basically if you have a replacement console,that only allows play online for arcade games,you are stuffed.
and if you use the download manager to download again,you download it from the marketplace.
if its not there,it cant be played.
it hasnt happened yet,im just pointing out that if/when they ever did remove something for sale,like an arcade game,your license is only available if its for sale.

and they do refund points,by placing them on a temporary silver account.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom