1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arca 400 + Velodyne CHT15 + MA Silver 12i

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MarkHudds, May 15, 2003.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Some advice required from fellow members please!

I'm probably going to splash out and go for three Arca 400 series units (www.arcafurniture.net) to place under my screen in a new dedicated room (DIY thread coming soon). I'll be using 2 units with solid doors for equipment and the third unit, in the center with grille doors, to house my sub and center speaker. After silly quotes for custom cabinet builds I've decided the Arca is the best compromise.

My sub is a Velodyne CHT-15 (from UE) and my center is a Monitor Audio Silver 12i.

The internal height of the Arca 400 cabinet is about 23" which just gives me enough for the sub (21"high) and the center (22" long) - if I place them side by side with the center in an upright position.

I'd like to get an idea if this is going to cause me problems ...
    How do subs perform when not directly in contact with the floor?
    Can I sit the sub on something inside the cabinet (rubber base or granite slab etc?)
    Will the center speakers performance be affected in any way because it's in a vertical position rather than horizontal?
    Should I pad the remaining space in the cabinet with some kind of acoustic material - foam etc?

Thanks guys.

2. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I would imagine that the cabinet would make a right racket with a sub sat in it and a grill on the cabinet would probably have an effect on the centre. Also I cant imagine the sub and centre being so close together would work particularly well. Its only my view, might be wrong.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't put a subwoofer inside a cabinet. It'll sound awful. Boomy and probably rattle the cabinet to bits.

4. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So how do custom installers 'conceal' subs then? I've seen loads of photos where all the speakers are put behind/within the cabentry?

I would of thought that if the cabinet was substantionally built and the sub was sat on a rubber mat or something then it might be ok? Maybe not for a downward 'firer' however a forward firing cht-15 through speaker grille cloth in the door?

Companies are advertising cabinets to put subs in anyway - www.longbow-sp.co.uk etc....

Ian J / Unc Eric etc ... I'd appreciate your views

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Shouln't cause a problem

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I don't know ... but when custom installers put subs inside cabinets ... do they not almost literally wrap the sub in the desired material therefore giving no space for the sound to reverberate in.

Vikki

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I once put my previous sub (RELQ200) in a pretty well built, solid (thick) pine cabinet. A big, heavy (32") TV sat on top of the cabinet and everything felt solid as a rock.

Played some "normal" music - everything sounded fine. Put on the first track of Massive Attack's Mezzanine at a moderate volume and..... the sub tried to rip the cabinet to pieces and nearly suceeded!! And that was a little Q200 - I dread to think what a CHT15 would do - after all, my HGS15 can make the floors upstairs "breathe" slowly up and down on about 12% gain!

Matt.