Arc switching question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by terencejames, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. terencejames

terencejames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I've got a new soundbar for Christmas (Yamaha YAS207) which I've connected to my Bluray player via HDMI and then to my TV using ARC. Problem is, I only seem to be able to get a Dolby 5.1 or DTS signal through my Bluray player. I've tried connecting my Sky box with an optical cable but the soundbar always seems to default to the audio return channel. I also stream files from a NAS box to my TV but the TV seems to downmix the audio to a stereo signal. Is this an issue with the TV (Panasonic 48AS640) or the soundbar or something else entirely?

2. rolandh

rolandh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    See if there’s a setting in the Soundbar or Sky box to use Optical. Another alternative would be to switch ARC off on your TV & connect the Optical cable directly to the TV.

Roland

3. terencejames

terencejames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Yeah. I'm turning the ARC off at the minute but it's not an ideal solution. I thought the beauty of it was a one cable solution.

4. rolandh

rolandh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use Optical instead of ARC as it’s always worked for me. I find with good cable management, using cable wrap & Velcro cable ties you can have a virtual one cable solution.

Roland

5. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Check your TV settings, as it may be set to downmix to stereo, and you will need to change it to Bitstream.

Bill

6. terencejames

terencejames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Can't find any settings for this. Could my HDMI cables need upgrading?

7. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Just had a look at the TV Manual and you have to go into the Audio Output Settings and set them to Auto.

Bill

8. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    It's highly unlikely that your cables need updating, whilst hdmi versions have changed cables haven't changed, their physical pinout reminds the same. Those vendors advertising cable x, hdmi version 2.0a etc are breaking hdmi.org own rules.

Coming back to your problem, a lot of tv's will only support 2 channel output of using an external source and then routing via optical or ARC. Newer ones tend to support but it could be a limitation of the inbuilt player.

Arc works in conjunction with cec which unfortunately can play havoc with somethings and certainly auto switching may be caused by this.

Some people prefer to run optical because you don't have any of these issues however you do some automatic control such as volume etc.

If your soundbar supports hd audio you will have to select the external hdmi as the input and then you might need to enable it in the configuration of your player

9. terencejames

terencejames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Yeah, it appears that it will output DD or DTS but only if it comes directly from the TV (IE a file played from a memory stick) but won't output those if it comes from an HDMI source (Sky box for example).

10. terencejames

terencejames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Can't find that setting anywhere. In my manual it says that it's only available if certain modes are selected (ie True Cinema) but it still doesn't appear. Arrghhh

11. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    Yep that is typical of older TVs that only their own internal Apps play 5.1 properly.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    'I find with good cable management, using cable wrap & Velcro cable ties you can have a virtual one cable solution' - I so wish I had some of Rolandh's 'magical' velcro cable ties :)

ARC is so unpredictable due to its reliance on CEC - and as Chuck points out even when it 'works' it can be a big limiting factor in your system, ARC enabled TV's are not the best 'Hub' of most systems.

eARC, as outlined within HDMI 2.1 hardware revision, looks a far better option.

Source > Soundbar > TV or Source > HDMI Switch > Soundbar > TV is likely a better option for the Opp.

Joe