ARC problem

DanielUK

Hi all. I hope you can help please.

I have just replaced my old Philips 55PUS6401 TV with a new Samsung QE65Q70AATXXU 65 Inch QLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV.

The TV is all set up and working fine on FreeSat, but I have a problem with sound output.

Previously, I used a HDMI ARC port to my Denon AVR which worked perfectly. With Samsung, I get an error saying "Your action device is connected to a port that does not support ARC. Please connect your device to the HDMI 3 (ARC) port."

The same cable is in HDMI 3, and in settings on the Samsung TV - in Sound, Expert settings - 'HDMIe-ARC Mode' is Auto, as well as 'Digital Output Adio for...' Auto.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but on my Denon AVR it has an optical cable to the AVR, then to this device to feed the HDMI to the TV:

Any ideas!?

Thanks for your help,
Dan

Last edited:

DanielUK

Hello all! Sorry to reignite this, I have been trying everything to get it working, researching ARC vs eARC to no avail. I'm still getting the same error.

Is it likely the extractor device I linked above is the problem, linked to my Denon AVR-X2300W Receiver? Unfortunately as the AVR is in another room, it has to come into there via HDMI as opposed to optical audio.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

cuke2u

I assume the hdmi cable from the tv's arc port is connected to the one as illustrated below?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220209-185310_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-185310_Chrome.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 52

DanielUK

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciated.

No, the HDMI cable from the TV goes into that little device I linked before, then the optical audio cable goes into the TV audio optical port.

Hope that makes sense!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply. Really appreciated.

No, the HDMI cable from the TV goes into that little device I linked before, then the optical audio cable goes into the TV audio optical port.

Hope that makes sense!
The optical output from that device is intended to go into an amp/AVR not your TV so remove it from your TV as it‘s not doing anything.

DanielUK

Thanks Jay!

Sorry - I think I didn’t explain that well. So HDMI from the TV then goes to the little box linked above where the AVR is. From that little box the optical audio cable goes from that into the TV Audio port of the AVR so I can select “TV audio” on my AVR to hear the TV sound.

Looking at that diagram above linked kindly by cuke2u - if I just used HDMI and ignored the little box and plugged the HDMI into that ARC Tv port on the AVR should that work? It’s so hard to get to where it’s located I wanted to check first.

Thanks again!

DanielUK

Just having a read of the AVR manual:

So theoretically I should just be able to plug the HDMI directly into that port, then the sound would come out of the Speakers connected to the AVR?

The issue I’ve got is that I have a projector linked to it with various other inputs. I could switch the HDMI out for the projector to the second OUT port instead (MONITOR 2)?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

DanielUK

Slight update: just tested this (emptied loft to get to AVR!).

Followed these instructions: Playing TV Audio Through the AV Receiver

Enabled the above setting. Switched my projector HDMI to MONITOR 2, plugged the HDMI from TV into MONITOR 1 (ARC). Enabled all settings - same error on the TV.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
After enabling these settings try power-cycling everything. Switch off/unplug all equip at the power socket, wait 10 mins then power on again.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom