ARC Problem with Yamaha Receiver

If you don't know what a BT box is or does then it is maybe better to say so than assume you know the answer?
You are absolutely right, but I did look it up before responding and the site said it can stream Netflix, so I assumed it was internet enabled. My bad.

You are absolutely right, but I did look it up before responding and the site said it can stream Netflix, so I assumed it was internet enabled. My bad.

I've no idea about its additional capabilities, but most people use their SMART TV to access streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Video. I've several devices that allow me to access Netflix, but I inordinately use my TV to facilitate this simply because instigating its use is so much simpler. THere's also the fact that some external devices such as a BD player may not give you the native frame rate associated with Netflix and this is one reason I don't use my Panasonic DMP-UB700 for Netflix. My Virgin Media TiVo also has the ability to access Netflix, but is slooooooow and not able to deal with UHD encoded content.

I have Yamaha rx v377 connected thru HDMI to Philips 40PFT6510 ARC and CEC on. When i turn on TV - Yamaha also turns on and i can watch tv programs and listen audio thru Yamaha - so far i press Yamaha remotes setup putton and TV switshes to HDMI 1 (where Yamaha is connected) and radio starts playing. Now when i switch back to tv programs Yamaha also switch back to tv audio (AV 4) - but if i power down TV (Yamaha also switch off) and power on again the TV switches to HDMI 1 ???

ARC Problem with Yamaha Receiver- SOLVED for PANASONIC VIERA + RX v475!

I have been having the same problem since the beginning. I have Panasonic smart TV viera. Hooked up to Yamaha RX v475. TV has ARC HDMI.
It was working fine for past couple of years but suddenly it stopped working since past few days. I believe it happened cos I went on a vacation and turn all the electronics off/ plug pulled. On my return, rest everything seemed working fine except for the apps on the TV (no sound from any app- youtube/netflix or shoutcast radio... nothing!).
Quick google threw me to this page. I just found the solution so I thought might share as well-

I am not sure if it work for every other TV and yamaha combination- but it worked for Panasonic viera-Yamaha rx v475. Make sure you have Viera Link ON.
-I simply switched off the Yamaha receiver and un-plugged it from power supply (my TV was on meanwhile).
-After 15-30 sec I simply plugged in the receiver and turned it on. On plugging in, receiver turned ON and give time to boot it completely.
-Now in Yamaha receiver- if you turn off the receiver independently (using avr's remote or direct power), the audio output changes to TV. Atleast that's what happens to my TV-AVR system. In that case, before witching to smart TV apps or Netflix, first I go into Viera Link from "Apps", and switch the TV Audio output to "HOME THEATER". Doing this, syncs TV audio to AVR via ARC.
- Now try running Netflix or any other av app on your TV, it should be in sync with Yamaha.
It worked for me all the time. Hope that helps!

Ok, but why use ARC at all in his case? It seems the only way ARC works well is if you connect all of the components to the TV directly, and have one HDMI cable going from the ARC of the TV to the ARC of the AV receiver. Now all the sound comes from the TV, whether it be from the connected components, or from in-TV streamed sources. It obviously defeats the purpose of what ARC was originally intended for, but as you say, it has problems. But since he has a BT box, he won't have any in-TV streaming to accommodate so he can connect everything to the AV receiver and output one HDMI to the TV with ARC off.

OK Just to clarify: The BT Box does indeed have Netflix, but (apparently) due to the BT box running at 50fps, Netflix is a bit jumpy when the camera moves around on a film/tv show. It's mush smoother if I use the TVs native Netflix player. Also, my TV has Amazon Prime and Plex, the BT box does not. Also, as the BT box goes via the Yamaha amp, it restricts the picture to 1080P. My TV is 4K/UHD and as the picture doesn't have to go via the amp, I get better picture resolution if I use Netflix via the TV.
All in all I can probably live with having to turn the amp on twice each time, to work around this issue.
Another issue I have though is that when using ARC, the sound is always limited to stereo, despite tinkering with all the setting in the TV to make sure it should be dolby/5.1.

I've been considering upgrading my amp to a 4K compatible one, so maybe my problems will go away if I upgrade to this:

DENON AVRX2300WBlack Atmos AV Receiver

I have a Yamaha RX-V473 connected up to an LG OLED55C7V via arc.
The sound from the tv comes through perfectly until I open the Netflix or Amazon Prime app.
All the little clicks noises and various music bits when selected a tv show on Netflix come through the speakers, but as soon as I press play on a show/film, there’s no audio at all; just silence.
The only workaround I can find is to have the amp remote with me, click over to AV3, then straight back to AV4 immediately after starting the show/film, then the amp recognises the audio and will play the sound.

It’s odd as it was playing the sound fine. If I pause or rewind Netflix, I lose the sound again so have to go through the same process of switching to AV3 then back to AV4.

Anybody know of a permanent fix for this, or do I buy a new amp?

I have a Yamaha RX-V473 connected up to an LG OLED55C7V via arc.
The sound from the tv comes through perfectly until I open the Netflix or Amazon Prime app.
All the little clicks noises and various music bits when selected a tv show on Netflix come through the speakers, but as soon as I press play on a show/film, there’s no audio at all; just silence.
The only workaround I can find is to have the amp remote with me, click over to AV3, then straight back to AV4 immediately after starting the show/film, then the amp recognises the audio and will play the sound.

It’s odd as it was playing the sound fine. If I pause or rewind Netflix, I lose the sound again so have to go through the same process of switching to AV3 then back to AV4.

Anybody know of a permanent fix for this, or do I buy a new amp?

Just run into this exact problem with by Yamaha V375 after getting Netflix on SkyQ!
Did you resolve or buy a new amp?!

Hi,

I just got a Yamaha RX-V577 to use with my Vizio e601i-A3 TV. Unfortunately, I can't get ARC to work correctly. I believe I have it set-up correctly, but sound will not come through the receiver. Here's the details:
  • When I turn on TV, receiver recognizes it (HDMI input light comes on) and, automatically, changes to the default input (AV4)
  • TV speakers automatically turn off (if receiver is turned on).
  • TV remote will then control volume on receiver.
But still no sound. Here are the things I've tried in order to fix it:
  • Tried 3 different HDMI cables (all rated for ARC).
  • Tried every combination of enabling/disabling ARC and CEC (Vizio name), and power up/down on the receiver and TV.
I also changed the ARC input on the receiver to 'AV1' and got the same results as above (everything working correctly EXCEPT no sound comes out).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've searched endlessly and haven't found an answer yet.

Thank you.

Please check my solution that worked with Panasonic. I am sure there must be similar path in your TV as well to sync the receiver correctly.
Sometimes yamaha receivers unsync themself and cause this issue.
Check the link below-
https://www.avforums.com/threads/ar...-solved-for-panasonic-viera-yamaha-rx-v475.21

Thanks - tried all the tips to no avail. Solved by purchasing optical and using that instead. No DD+ no, but no biggie as I couldn't tell difference.

Just run into this exact problem with by Yamaha V375 after getting Netflix on SkyQ!
Did you resolve or buy a new amp?!
I ended up buying an optical cable and using that for the sound from the tv to the amp. It’s been nearly a year now and that seems to be working.

Hi... really late to the "ARC sucks" party, but here's my issue. I have a Vizio E55-F1 connected to a Yamaha RX-V677. ARC functionality suddenly stopped (when adding an Apple TV 4K to the TV's third HDMI input, if that matters.) HDMI light is constantly flashing, which suggests a handshake issue of some sort. I've reset both the TV and the Receiver (SO many settings...) to no avail. Removal of the Apple TV doesn't do anything to help either. Haven't tried a new cable from the TV to the Receiver, but could it be that simple? Do cables just go wonky and limit functionality? (Video still works just fine.)

Separately, I tried the SPDIF cable trick. Overall, serves the purpose except a.) I'm limited to standard Dolby Digital (versus Dolby Digital Plus for Netflix) and b.) the audio is constantly stuttering. Tech support with Vizio says that's on them and they're gonna send someone out to fix it.

Any thoughts on either situation?

***UPDATE: Stuttering also occurs when listening to online radio sources such as Pandora directly to the RX-V677. What the hell is wrong with my receiver suddenly!?

***UPDATE #2: ALSO SUTTERING WHEN PLAYING VINYL (it's not the record skipping)!!!!

Am I experiencing some sort of slow systemwide failure?

Last edited:
I created an account and raised this zombie thread in order to share my fix. I hope it helps others:

I have had a RX-V475 for years and had no issues until I upgraded to a Smart Samsung TV and attempted to use ARC. Every time I turned the TV on, the Receiver would power up on AV4, but with no audio until I either selected another input then Av4 again, or cycled the reciever.

By trial and error, I discovered that the TV has three audio output types, DD, PCM, and DD+; and defaults to DD+. Despite the 475 "supporting" DD+, this format will not trigger the receivers audio for some reason. Both DD and PCM outputs WILL work correctly with my setup.

Note: When selecting DD+ on the TV, there is even a pop-up that states there will be ARC issues with non supported equipment, but I was apparently incorrect thinking that mine was supported for ARC just because it can receive DD+ audio.

The issues yiou had were with the TV's implimentation of ARC and not the AV receiver.

THe AVR switching to its AV4 source when you power it up is caused by ARC's dependance upon HDMI CEC for its functionality. The TV detects the AVR receiver when you power it up and automatically sends a signal to it that switches the AV receiver to its ARC related source if and when ARC is enabled on both the TV and the AV receiver. You'd experienvce this behavior irrespective of the make and model of the TV or the AV receiver and it is an inherant issue associated with ARC. You aren't getting any audio when you power the receiver up because you'd only ever get audio when set to the source associated with ARC if actually playing something on the TV sourced via its SMAER apps, its tuners or a source connected to another input on that TV.

The AV itself will ordinarilly be perfectly happy handling DD+ sourced via its ARC capabilities. It should be noted that DD+ is what most if not all of the streaming srevices use. DD+ does however also include a conventional Dolby Digital core to ensure backward compatability wit devices lacking DD+ decoding.

DD+ audio does play through my receiver. I was simply hoping to help others with this unusual quirk of DD+ not playing audio when the reciever is first powered up via ARC.

Your AV receiver will play DD+ sourced via ARC. The issue you have if you have one is caused by your TV and not the AV receiver.

I'd not be overly concerned anyway.You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between DD+ and conventional DD anyway and anything encoded with DD+ will include a DD core. THe only time you'd really be disadvantaged if wanting to access DD+ via ARC is in instances where the audio include Atmos metadata. You'd need the DD+ audio in order to be able to convey said Atmos metadata, but you've not an Atmos enable AV receiver or setup anyway.

I created an account and raised this zombie thread in order to share my fix. I hope it helps others:

I have had a RX-V475 for years and had no issues until I upgraded to a Smart Samsung TV and attempted to use ARC. Every time I turned the TV on, the Receiver would power up on AV4, but with no audio until I either selected another input then Av4 again, or cycled the reciever.

By trial and error, I discovered that the TV has three audio output types, DD, PCM, and DD+; and defaults to DD+. Despite the 475 "supporting" DD+, this format will not trigger the receivers audio for some reason. Both DD and PCM outputs WILL work correctly with my setup.

Note: When selecting DD+ on the TV, there is even a pop-up that states there will be ARC issues with non supported equipment, but I was apparently incorrect thinking that mine was supported for ARC just because it can receive DD+ audio.
I have this exact same issue with a Sony Bravia X90J and a Yamaha RX-V473. Did you ever find a solution or did you settle for Dolby Digital (like yours, my TV has the option to output DD rather than DD+). I'm trying to decide whether to persist with the receiver input cycling or to just use DD!

Dude, where were you 8 years ago! Ago, it was probably a different issue at that time, but it looks like you did solve it on my new TV! I have no idea how I finnaly made it work in the past, but maybe it was the PCM thing too.

So my setup is lg oled c7 yamaha rx a2050 and intel nuc pc. After some problems with getting 10bit color after windows update and updating the intel command center windows kept registering i had 8bit with dithering i updated the bios on the nuc reinstalled windows to older version all the same . If i connected the nuc directly to the tv i got 10bit in windows . As it turned out windows was wrong i was getting 10 bit. Then i started getting arc hdmi cec problems receiver wouldnt turn on or no signal at all. The problem was the nuc had hdmi cec enabled after i flashed the bios and was fighting with the TV after disabling it in bios arc and hdmi cec were back to working perfectly. Hope it helps if u have nuc pc box turn off the hdmi cec on it.

Resurrecting this thread as I'm also having these problems and it's driving me mad. Had an LG tv where we just shut off the tv speakers and used the optical cable instead. Now I upgraded to a TCL c835 and having the same problems again, exceot this time I can't set the tv to mute as the thing then changes it's output to stereo pcm and has a mute logo, so Ive been living with an echo to get rid of those issues. This is the TCL at fault as there is no way to mute the tv speakers when using optical which is just stupid.

Found an interim fix until I give up and buy a JBL bar 1000 but it's just stupid settings. What I've had to do is turn off CEC entirely and then set the tv to output over arc. I know, that makes absolutely no sense as a set up to block arc from working then say use it, but the tv seems to have muted the speakers and the volume buttons just say receiver but don't change the volume on the receiver. Still using two remotes but at least now there's no echo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom