ARC Problem with Panasonic VT30

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by JC2, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JC2

JC2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I have a Panasonic P55VT30 plasma TV connected to a Yamaha RX-V571 amp via HDMI. I have a Focal Dome 2.1 system connected to the amp. I have a Sky+ box plugged into the amp's HDMI input 1. Everything works perfectly - the Sky picture appears on the TV, the sound comes out the speakers connected to the amp... no problem.

However, when I go to use the Viera's internet function and access BBC iPlayer (for example), the sound comes out of the TV's speakers which is obviously not what I want. I have enabled ARC on the amp and set the HDMI return input channel to 'AV 4'. I know that this is all set up correctly as when I open iPlayer using the Panasonic remote, the amp automatically switches to AV 4. I've made sure that the 'Speakers' setting in the Viera Link menu is set to 'Home Theatre' as opposed to 'TV' but no sound comes out of the speakers.

The only thing I can think is that the HDMI cable is not 1.4 (or even 1.3) spec and therefore doesn't support ARC. The HDMI cable that connects the TV to the amp is channelled into the wall - I'm living in a new-build apartment and the HDMI cables were already installed as standard spec.

I'm an AV novice (as you can probably tell from the lingo I'm using!) and would hugely appreciate any advice that could be given.

Many thanks in advance!

JC

2. Tatkovladko

Tatkovladko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So, the HDMI cable between the Yamaha receiver and the TV is connected to HDMI2 on the TV and to the leftmost HDMI socket on the receiver? Seems it is since your receiver is switching to AV4 as per the manual...
    To test if ARC is working at all, tune to any TV station using the tuner integrated in the TV and check if sound is output through the receiver. Your current setup with the external Skybox is not using ARC obviously.

3. JC2

JC2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tatkovladko, thank you so much for your help. I finally worked out the problem - only the HDMI 2 input on the VT30 supports ARC. As the amp was connected into HDMI 1, it wasn't working. So I've solved that but now I need to find a way for the VT30 to default to HDMI 2 input when it's powered on. I don't want to have to select the input each time. Any ideas?

4. Tatkovladko

Tatkovladko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think Hotel mode settings can do that. How to enter and if that's possible for VT30, probably check the VT30 thread.

5. JC2

JC2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tatkovladko, thank you so much. I didn't even know there was a 'hotel mode'.

It's all sorted now :)

What a great forum!

6. Stevieg_73

Stevieg_73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with the ARC not working properly. My set is VT30 + RX-V671 and everything works fine with BD, HTPC and Viasat box.

When I start up everything I get the sound through my amp when I use the internal decoder but when i switch of the TV + amp and starts everything up again (TV set to use internal decoder) no sounds comes from the amp but the amp have the correct settings. If i "restart" the ARC function on the amp it works again....

This only occurs when using the internal decoder...

7. mho64

mho64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Stevieg I have this problem too. 50G30 connected via HDMI 2 to my my yamaha 1067 amp. After setting up arc on the amp's menu it works fine, when I then turn off the tv the amp auto turns off too then when I turn the TV on again ARC no longer works unless I set it up again in the amp's menu (even though the menu is unchanged).

Any fixes?

8. mho64

mho64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Found the fix from another thread. Click on viera link button on the remote and make sure that under speaker setting it is set to home cinema instead of TV.

9. cherft

cherft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all
    I have read this and other trail of posts and my situation appears to be slightly different – it worked for several months and now it does not.
    I have had a TH-P50VT20A connected to a SA-BTT755 for a year or more via a Monster Ultimate HDMI w ethernet e194702(UL) cable plugged into HDMI2(ARC) at the TV end. It plays BluRay Disks very well; perfect picture (3D) on the TV and perfect 5.1 sound on the BluRay Home Theatre.
    When I switched the TV on with the TV remote in the past, the HT unit would click on in a few seconds and the TV sound (ARC) would come from the HT speakers. When I switched the TV off via remote, the HT would also go off and the wireless rear speakers would go off also in a few seconds.
    Recently, the TV ON function has stopped turning the HT on and I have to turn it on with the HT remote. In addition, now the ARC function will not work as the TV sound will no longer play through the HT speakers. NOTE – however when I turn the TV OFF with the TV remote, the HT box turns off too.
    I have checked all the connections at both ends.
    How do I get ARC working again?
    Please help
    thanks and regards

10. Ach0w

Ach0w
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think it's a bug in Panasonic HDMI ARC implementation. I've got a 4 year old Panasonic paird with a Sony AVR and experience the same issue. If the AVR goes into power saving mode before the TV (example, movie paused for 20 minutes), the TV does the right thing and switches audio back to tv speakers.

The problem is the Panasonic won't return audio back to the AVR on next power on of AVR. You have to either restart the AVR one more time, or manually go into viera-link settings and set the AVR again as the sound output.

It could be the AVR to blame too, but since others are having this issue with different equipment...

It's frustrating enough that I've disabled power savings on the AVR.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017