• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ARC over 1.3

JDR82

Prominent Member
I picked up a Panasonic soundbar to pair with my gt50, I then connected it via a 1.3 hdmi cable with the arc socket, now the sound is working fine but I noticed the other day that arc wasn't added until 1.4.

I tried a google search first but couldn't find anything conclusive, is there anything that would improve from switching to a 1.4 hdmi cable with regards to the sound quality coming through the arc hook up or am I find with the 1.3?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The is no such thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 HDMI cable. The 1.3/1.4 designation is only for the hardware contained within the TV and soundbar. Are both 1.4 enabled? and do both support ARC? Have you connected the HDMI to the correct HDMI socket on the TV as only 1 tends to be ARC enabled (often HDMI 2 but could be another one).
As far as the cable goes it should be fine as long as it is reasonable quality. If you do get another one just make sure it is high speed and no need to spend more than £10 on one and most likely a fair bit less.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
With HDMI it either works or it doesn't. There are no form of error correction or jitter issues on the signal, unlike some other formats which can improve with a better cable, so if it is working, that's as good as it can be.

JDR82

Prominent Member
Excellent cheers for the answers.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom