• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ARC on Panasonic G20 - Home theatre set up

robjs

Standard Member
Starting a new thread as this has nothing to do with setting up the XBox as per previous post.

I have a Panasonic G20 and have just purchased the SC-PT480EB DVD Home theatre system. It says if you have an ARC TV (which I have) then you can connect via HDMI (2) and don't need any other connections. I did this and when watching TV I don't get anything through the home theatre speakers. I'm stumped as this should have been so simple and I don't know where to make the necessary changes. I have managed to get sound through the speakers but only by using the red / white audio cable and switching it to AUX rather than ARC.

Any help appreciated!

robjs

Standard Member
After more reading, I'm using this cable which is v1.3 and I've now read somewhere that I need v1.4 to support ARC - is this correct? It would be good to know before I buy another cable. Would this one work?

Thanks

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You do need an HDMI High Speed cable, I think with Ethernet (Thats what we are supposed to call HDMI V1.4 with Ethernet now...)

You also need to set the speaker selection to Home Cinema in the Viera Link menu. The volume control should now control the home cinema and all audio should be correctly routed.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
No such thing as an 1.4 or 1.3 cable.

HDMI 1.4 hardware revision introduced ARC to the party but no need for a special cable for ARC - http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

It's going to be a menu setting that's causing your problem.

Joe

robjs

Standard Member
Thanks both,

@noiseboy72 - So is the cable I linked to the right one which should work? I've set the speaker selection to home theatre and the home theatre to 'ARC' input. The volume controls the home theatre (you can see the volume number going up) but there is no sound. I've also tried 'D-IN' which doesn't work either.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I stand to be corrected, but I think it needs to be with Ethernet ??

I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will confirm one way or the other...

My amp does not support ARC, so I use an optical cable.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
No need for 'with Ethernet' for anything other than connecting devices that support the HDMI Ethernet Channel.

Your existing cable ought to be fine for ARC.

It would be worth powering off the connected devices, repower and then go through the various User manuals and confirm all settings are correct.

Joe

robjs

Standard Member
Cheers for the replies but I don't know what else to try. I haven't made ANY changes to setting on the TV as I can't see anything which looks relevant. I've tried powering off etc. but ARC channel when watching TV/SKY is just silent. Incidentally, when I play a DVD on the HDMI2 channel of the TV, the sound and picture are fine.

I don't really understand the 1.3, 1.4 HDMI think but all I can think is it's something to do with this cheap cable. Panasonic say it needs to be 'fully wired' whatever that means.

I could try with and optical cable but I'd rather keep that free for the XBox connection.

Frustating stuff - this should have been a doddle...

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SKY+ HD - requires you to use an Optical cable between the SKY box and your AVR/HC System if you want to listen to the 5.1 DD that’s broadcast with some programmes so ARC is useless for SKY.

Fully wired HDMI – you’ll have to try very hard to find a cable that’s not fully wired.

Do you have links to the User manuals for the TV and AVR/HC System?

Joe

robjs

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies,

I don't have SKY HD at present, just SD.

At present I have the aux cable connected between by TV and home theatre so whatever I'm watching/using (Sky, freesat, XBox) all go through the home theatre. This may be wrong but as I can't get the ARC to work, I don't have much choice. I'm going to replace the aux cable with an optical one which I'm assuming is the best way forward.

I do have manuals for all the kit which I've read all the way through, I just don't see what else to change if you guys are positive it isn't the HDMI lead.

AV COM

AVForums Sponsor
I think your issue could possibly be that ARC should work with the G20's internal tuner etc (pop on freeview / iPlayer and give it a try) but I don't think it will send audio from an external scart source back down the HDMI. I may be wrong on this though, I'm not currently using ARC to give it a test unfortunately.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC – sounds about right that it’s only for the internal ‘tuner’.

SKY – is it SKY or SKY+?

Joe

robjs

Standard Member
I'm pretty sure I was setting it up with Freesat playing and it was silent but I'd have to double-check.

Surely, if it's only for internal tuners then ARC is pretty useless then as many people use external kit like SKY, Virgin boxes etc.

It's SKY+ btw

Incidentally, I see SKY+ has an optical out but then if I connect that to the TV I'll have to switch to AUX when I put on the XBox which is a drag.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC – yes not setting the Ci world alight really!!! AVR’s are a natural signal hub – your TV is not!

SKY+ - you need to connect the Optical directly to an Optical Input on your AVR to get DD 5.1 – you can try pluming it via the TV (If it has an Optical In + Out) but even if it has those connections it may not accept 5.1 on the way in and even if it does it may only output 2.0 – all very confusing!!!

Joe

robjs

Standard Member
Thanks for persevering with me...

I've checked and the ARC doesn't work no matter what I'm watching (internal tuner or external source). However, if it only works for internal sources, it's no good and I won't bother trying to make it work.

I tried connecting SKY+ SD straight to TV (optical) which was fine, but then when we switched to the internal Freesat HD, sound carried on from SKY. I know it's only a button push to switch it, but it's a pain.

Ignorning ARC now - is there any way I can have SKY, internal tuner and XBox all routed though the Home Theatre without having to switch inputs when I change? I currently have optical from TV to HT which does this but I suspect you're going to say that's not going to be the best quality.

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You need to list what kit you have – make, model number and then folk can properly advise.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SC-PT480 - always amazed at how underprovided these systems are in terms of connectivity!!!

You’re going to require a 2x1 Optical Switch to make this work.

SKY+
SCART direct to the TV (both set to RGB)
Optical to 2x1 Optical switch

Xbox360
HDMI direct to TV
Optical to 2x1 Optical switch

2x1 Optical Switch
Optical to SC-PT480

SC-PT480
HDMI to TV HDMI

TV
2RCA to 2RCA on SC-PT480 – assuming you still can’t get ARC to work.

Joe

robjs

Standard Member
Thanks Joe,

In defence of the PT-480, I picked this up for £142 which I think is great value for a 1000W system!

I think I follow your steps, so I'll need to pick up an optical switch - can I check, what's the benefit of plumbing it this way rather than the way I have it?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
What channels so you get on Sky+
Unless you get the movie channels which have Dolby Digital then the optical for the sky is unnecessary. SD sky doesn't have DD on any other channels AFAIK.

If you don't get the movies then scart will carry the sound to the TV and the analogues from the TV will carry both internal tuner and sky sound to the PT-480

robjs

Standard Member
Thanks - Don't subscrible to Movies so sounds like it isn't worth it.

@Joe - On your "2RCA to 2RCA on SC-PT480" wouldn't that require me to switch to AUX when watching TV?

Sounds like plumbing via the TV is the way to go - it sounds pretty good.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Yes correct, the Aux input would be selected for Sky+ and the Internal tuner. Your Panasonic 480 will then use Dolby Pro Logic to give a surround effect. The X-Box will give proper 5.1 surround via the optical.

So at the moment you do have enough (just) connectivity. If there's any upgrades on the horizon you will need to resort to a switch of some sort. SkyHD for example has more channels with DD, or possibly a DVD/Bluray or PS3 will all benefit from an optical connection.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom