ARC not working unless CEC is enabled.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of an issue with my set up , Pioneer vsx 933, Nvidia shield and Samsung TV ,
with all 3 devices connected and CEC enabled on all 3 , the AMP keeps powering on and off a good few times. when i turn on power at the mains socket ( I turn everything off at night or when I leave the house )
and will randomly turn on every now and again.
so i have disabled the CEC on the amp and now it will stay powered off until i turn it on,

How ever the ARC will not work ?! i have no sound from the TV ( netflix ,prime ,Disney) neither form the Nvidia shield unless i turn on the CEC on the AMP
Is this a know issue or is there something i should be doing ?

Conventional ARC (not eARC) is dependant upon HDMI CEC (Control) for its functionality. No, it will not work unless both the AV receiver's and the TV's implimentation of HDMI CEC is engaged. More recent Denon and Marantz AV receivers do sidestep this though and allow it to be disengaged in a roundabout way and atill retain ARC capabilities. Denon and Marantz are an exception though.

Turn CEC off onboard the devices connected to the AV receiver. You only need leave it engaged onboard the AV receiver and the TV to facilitate ARC.

eARC is not dependant upon HDMI CEC and will still convey audio from an eARC enabled TV to an eARC enabled AV receiver even if HDMI CEC is turned off onboard both devices. The auto switching to the associated ARC audio source would however not work unless HDMI CEC is engaged and you'd sunsequently need to manually select the ARC source if and when you want to use it. I don't think that your AV receiver is eARC enabled anyway?

Last edited:
Thanks , so i don't really have much choice do i with HDMI CEC ..
it's either have it on all the time and deal with the pita of it turning on and off or
leave it off and just turn it on when i need it..🤔 which sucks having to do it quite a bit.

never had this problem with my other amps which have mostly been Onkyo's, only got this pioneer as i got a decent deal on it and use the Atmos option.

What types of audio are you wanting to output from the TV to your AV receiver? You could use optical instead of ARC if attaining access to DD+ inclusive of Atmos is if no importance to you? You would however need to use ARC if accessing Atmos via the TV 's own smart apps in association with streaming serrvices such as Netflix. Amazon. Disney+ or Apple TV. Optical cannot convey DD+ and DD+ is the format used by these streaming service to package Atmos metadata if and when available.

The ability to convey DD+ and Atmos in association with DD+ is the only real advantage ARC has over S?PDIF optical.

I guess the only real other option would be to look at an external streaming device by which to access these streaming services? THis can then be connected directly to one of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs and you'd no longer need to use ARC. This wouldn't negate the need forARC relative to the TV's own tuners though if you use the TV's tuners?

Last edited:
Atmos is a bit hit and miss with the TV's app netflix and disney ( Samsung Q85r)
sometimes it works but most times it doesn't
i do have the Nvidia shield which i can use for Atmos audio from netflix and disney which like you say can be connect straight to the amp.

not a bad idea using an optical cable form the TV , that way i use the tv's out put for basic surround sound and PS5 for audio
then just use the shield for netflix and whatnots.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom