ARC Issues

themediaman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, this might be a little specific for the general chat but couldn't decide where to post.

Just installed a new JVC Fire TV to replace my broken Sharp Aquos.

Connected the ARC input of the TV to the ARC input on my Denon AVR which in theory should allow me to here the audio whilst in the fire TV system, where I have access to all the various streaming apps.

I am getting no sound to the speakers of my AVR when in the fire TV interface. ARC is switched on on the AVR and all the fire TV settings seem to be set correctly in order to output over ARC.

I am missing something? Is it only sound from the TVs internal tuner that will work?

It would be a shame having to stream through the fire TV and have to use the TV speakers

Plug the Fire into the AVR to use it passing video through the AVR to the TV. Same as other external sources (e.g. DVD-BluRay, PVR)

Not all TVs pass more than stereo PCM through from another hdmi input to the ARC. But there may be settings need changing in the TV hdmi control to bitstream passthrough in the TV?

NB Hdmi CEC on both TV and Amp are essential for ARC to work.

Do you actually know that ARC is working via the internal tuner ? You've got channels tuned in to test this, so that you know that ARC is actually working, albeit in a reduced capacity ?

With the TVs I've owned, any sound you can hear through the TV's speakers from it's internal Freeview/Freesat tuners or apps and any external devices connected directly to the TV should be passed on to an AVR via ARC, provided everything is set up correctly.

Plug the Fire into the AVR to use it passing video through the AVR to the TV. Same as other external sources (e.g. DVD-BluRay, PVR)

Not all TVs pass more than stereo PCM through from another hdmi input to the ARC. But there may be settings need changing in the TV hdmi control to bitstream passthrough in the TV?

NB Hdmi CEC on both TV and Amp are essential for ARC to work.
Thanks for the reply,

My HTPC and set top box are both plugged in to the AVR, with the TV connected to the arc output of the AVR.

As far as I can see the HDMI CEC settings are set to on, on both tv and AVR.

The fire TV does have options to select what type of audio ARC passes, namely auto, PCM, bistream and passthrough....I've tried them all ..my AVR could handle them all...

When setting up control of the AVR with the fire TV remote it does ask what mode you would like the AVR to switch to when using fire TV...I've tried a few, TV audio being one....does that choice matter...does that choice need to be a source that has an HDMI plugged, in this case Cable/Sat and Blu-ray....

Do you actually know that ARC is working via the internal tuner ? You've got channels tuned in to test this, so that you know that ARC is actually working, albeit in a reduced capacity ?

With the TVs I've owned, any sound you can hear through the TV's speakers from it's internal Freeview/Freesat tuners or apps and any external devices connected directly to the TV should be passed on to an AVR via ARC, provided everything is set up correctly.
Unfortunately I don't have an aerial to test the internal tuner, so can only use the fire TV OS, I can't even hear the navigation click when moving round the system....

So something must not be set up right...

Unfortunately I don't have an aerial to test the internal tuner, so can only use the fire TV OS, I can't even hear the navigation click when moving round the system....

So something must not be set up right...
Ah, OK. So rather than ARC only seeming to work in certain circumstances, it sounds like ARC probably isn't working at all.

Have you tried turning everything off and on again ? A cliche I know, but something that can help and which is often overlooked when setting up ARC.

Have you also mapped an appropriate input on your AVR for the ARC signal ? On my Yamaha AVR, I had to assign one of the AV channels in order for the TV to be selectable as a source and it's now labelled as 'TV' in order to differentiate it. This was done within the AVR's HDMI-ARC settings.

Ah, OK. So rather than ARC only seeming to work in certain circumstances, it sounds like ARC probably isn't working at all.

Have you tried turning everything off and on again ? A cliche I know, but something that can help and which is often overlooked when setting up ARC.

Have you also mapped an appropriate input on your AVR for the ARC signal ? On my Yamaha AVR, I had to assign one of the AV channels in order for the TV to be selectable as a source and it's now labelled as 'TV' in order to differentiate it. This was done within the AVR's HDMI-ARC settings.
I did assign a few different ones as mentioned in my reply to the OP....there is a TV audio source on the AVR which sounded ideal....does that selection make a difference.....

I haven't completely powered down now you mention it....should there be a sequence of powering back up...

I haven't completely powered down now you mention it....should there be a sequence of powering back up...
Definitely worth a go. My AVR switches on automatically when the TV is turned on, so there is no order to worry about.

Definitely worth a go. My AVR switches on automatically when the TV is turned on, so there is no order to worry about.
As does mine now it's all set up with HDMI CEC...I'll give it a go...

Still no success with the power down...

I'm going to try and update my AVR and see what happens....not hopeful though...

Might attach some images of the AVR settings for advice...

When setting up control of the AVR with the fire TV remote it does ask what mode you would like the AVR to switch to when using fire TV...I've tried a few, TV audio being one....does that choice matter...does that choice need to be a source that has an HDMI plugged, in this case Cable/Sat and Blu-ray....
If it has an option for TV, then that would seem to be the one to choose. Presumably you don't want to pick a source associated with any other HDMI input other than the one used for ARC.

Old thread with similar issue here JVC LT-40CF890 Fire TV Edition 40" help

Try an optical lead as a sanity check? And try some alternative hdmi leads too?
Thanks....

I have thought of trying a different HDMI cable but because my current cable is partially inside a wall and removal is a pain I've not done it yet...

And as far as I understand it all HDMi cables will work regardless of grade...and mines is suitable for 4k video at least....

There is another arc outlet on my AVR that I am going to try now....at least I think it is (Denon x2400H)...

I've also got a new 2m optical coming tomorrow just in case...

Presumably you have switched away from the TV's speakers by selecting 'Home Cinema' (or whatever JVC choose to call it) in the TV's sound menu ? Again, another simple thing that sometimes gets overlooked :)

Any cable supporting the HDMI 1.4 standard (2009 onwards) should be fine for ARC. eARC would require a more recent cable but should revert to ARC with an older cable, I would have thought.

A temporary connection with an alternative HDMI cable is a very sensible suggestion if you want to eliminate the buried cable as a possible cause of your problem.

Presumably you have switched away from the TV's speakers by selecting 'Home Cinema' (or whatever JVC choose to call it) in the TV's sound menu ? Again, another simple thing that sometimes gets overlooked :)

Any cable supporting the HDMI 1.4 standard (2009 onwards) should be fine for ARC. eARC would require a more recent cable but should revert to ARC with an older cable, I would have thought.

A temporary connection with an alternative HDMI cable is a very sensible suggestion if you want to eliminate the buried cable as a possible cause of your problem.

PXL_20220215_113503728.jpg

This is the audio output options, only lets you change the format that is will send with ARC, not whether to use speakers or ARC, suggesting its all automatic

Managed to try another HDMI and nothing changed...

Can any of you see an issue with my wiring....

All external devices, digital TV and HTPC are plugged in to the AVR and then a single cable from the AVR (arc) out to the TV (arc) in....is that how it's meant to work...?

Can any of you see an issue with my wiring....

All external devices, digital TV and HTPC are plugged in to the AVR and then a single cable from the AVR (arc) out to the TV (arc) in....is that how it's meant to work...?
Yes, it should be as simple as that. If your cable is OK, then it might be the settings. Have you checked the AVR and TV manuals carefully to make sure everything is configured correctly ?

My guess would be that this is a source issue on the AVR - maybe post a pic of the relevant AVR settings ? What are the HDMI-CEC options on the TV ?

HDMI-ARC can be notoriously flaky, although I've never had any major problems myself.

Last edited:
Yes, it should be as simple as that. If your cable is OK, then it might be the settings. Have you checked the AVR and TV manuals carefully to make sure everything is configured correctly ?

My guess would be that this is a source issue on the AVR - maybe post a pic of the relevant AVR settings ?

HDMI-ARC can be notoriously flaky, although I've never had any major problems myself.
PXL_20220216_192619420.jpg

This is the AVR settings which show the ARC as being on, the relevance of the other options there is unknown to me...

PXL_20220216_192733139.jpg

This is the input assign....if I was to run an optical cable from the TV to the AVR then I would need to assign optical 1 or 2 to the digital column of TV Audio....as I am hoping to use the HDMI cable which is currently in the AVRs ARC Output, should these settings be changed in anyway...I don't see how.....as it's an output its plugged into....

PXL_20220216_192812269.jpg

Fire TV CEC on...

PXL_20220216_192855809.jpg

Fire TV audio output setting suggesting this is where I could choose out of 3 options, TV speakers, HDMI or Optical...

PXL_20220216_192906523.jpg

When I go into these setting there is no option to choose, just an on and off for the TV speakers...

A real pain in the arse....😭😡

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom