ARC issues with Onkyo NR-636 + LG OLED C8

Sierra76

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've some very annoying issue with sound over ARC on this setup: Onkyo NR-636 + LG OLED C8. When I watch anything the sound is sometimes having very short hiccup for a split second. In example I was warching one episode of Star Trek Discovery, and I counted 10 hiccups durring it, they appears randomly. I can hear them also when I change AVR's sound volume, almost each time when I press volume up or down there is a short hiccup in sound. It's very annoying and I don't know why it happens. It's not limited to Netflix I can hear it when watching video from external sources connected to that TV too, in example my SDR multimedia player (happens with lesser occurency, but still happens)

That OLED is brand new, and I can return it in 14 days without any reasons (EU law). So I must deal with this now or live with that...

Both devices are up-to-date regarding firmware. The HDMI cable from TV to AVR is a high speed one (had no issues with previous setup which was the same AVR but different tv from Samsung).

Please help.

Last edited:
With the original HDMI cable try disengaging ARC and see if the issue goes away, that could possibly point to a handshake issue between the TV and the Onkyo. Your next check should be with a different cable with ARC engaged to rule out a cable problem. Two simple checks before getting the dealer involved.

Not sure if understood that first check. How to disengage ARC? To change to the TV speakers? And indeed it sounds like the TV and the Onkyo is performing super fast handshake at that moments.

Last edited:
Problem solved. Changed the ARC cable from HDMI 1.4 (high speed ethernet) to HDMI 2.0.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom