ARC from Samsung KU6000 to Denon 2300 - audio quality

ShivP

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be using 4K content such as films through Plex and Amazon Prime, Netflix etc through the apps on my Samsung KU6000 (70 inch UHD). I have tested ARC to the receiver and it seems to be working fine just passing through audio, however I have not fitted the speakers properly yet (wall mounting them etc). Just as an aside I will be using Q acoustics Q7000i in 5.1

I was wondering what the best audio quality (i.e. DTS, DTS HD, Dolby etc) that will pass through HDMI ARC from the TV would be. Ideally I don't want to limit myself to a lesser audio quality if I have the ability to have better surround

I am not sure whether using ARC will be best or just to get an optical cable from the TV to the amp and whether this will give any better audio quality.

Does anyone have any idea as to what setup would be best for this? Most high quality video will be played directly by the TV through Plex, Amazon video etc and not through the amp as the only things we will be using through the amp is the DVD player and a cable box which is 720p at best and I am not fussed over the quality for

Thanks in advance

ARC vs. Optical - both support the same range of signal formats, which does not include the lossless HD audio formats.

ARC - requires you to first off enable CEC Control on your devices, often this is best avoided with a multi-brand system 'forcing' you to use the Optical Out on the TV.

TV - be aware many limit you to 2.0 PCM from Sources connected to the TV via HDMI, if so those Sources are best connected direct to your AVR.

Streaming service - if you subscribe to a service which offers HD Audio you will need to look at an External streamer with HDMI direct to your HD Audio capable AVR.

HD Audio - gets a little over sold, without a very decent full range speaker system, ideal speaker layout and careful configuration it is not a huge jump over DD/DTS and you have to ask how much of your content is encoded with HD Audio.

Joe

ARC vs. Optical - both support the same range of signal formats, which does not include the lossless HD audio formats.

ARC - requires you to first off enable CEC Control on your devices, often this is best avoided with a multi-brand system 'forcing' you to use the Optical Out on the TV.

TV - be aware many limit you to 2.0 PCM from Sources connected to the TV via HDMI, if so those Sources are best connected direct to your AVR.

Streaming service - if you subscribe to a service which offers HD Audio you will need to look at an External streamer with HDMI direct to your HD Audio capable AVR.

HD Audio - gets a little over sold, without a very decent full range speaker system, ideal speaker layout and careful configuration it is not a huge jump over DD/DTS and you have to ask how much of your content is encoded with HD Audio.

Joe

Brilliant, really helpful. Thanks very much!

Another question

Shall I set the TV to output DTS neo, Dolby digital or pcm?

The DTS option is greyed out, so does this mean the TV will not support DTS via arc?

I think when you playing source like netflix ect. and audio is only DD 5.1 your option would be greyed out for DTS, if you have any movies with DTS sound then that option would be available. I have the same model tv and I couldn't use ARC as my Denon don't have HDMI connection so can't help you with that.

Hi all,

I will be using 4K content such as films through Plex and Amazon Prime, Netflix etc through the apps on my Samsung KU6000 (70 inch UHD). I have tested ARC to the receiver and it seems to be working fine just passing through audio, however I have not fitted the speakers properly yet (wall mounting them etc). Just as an aside I will be using Q acoustics Q7000i in 5.1

I was wondering what the best audio quality (i.e. DTS, DTS HD, Dolby etc) that will pass through HDMI ARC from the TV would be. Ideally I don't want to limit myself to a lesser audio quality if I have the ability to have better surround

I am not sure whether using ARC will be best or just to get an optical cable from the TV to the amp and whether this will give any better audio quality.

Does anyone have any idea as to what setup would be best for this? Most high quality video will be played directly by the TV through Plex, Amazon video etc and not through the amp as the only things we will be using through the amp is the DVD player and a cable box which is 720p at best and I am not fussed over the quality for

Thanks in advance
Hello, I have the same KU6000 and a Dennon AVR-2113, I am trying to make my 5.1 surround sound to work with a HDMI ARC cable (my dennon has it and the tv too), but it only gives me stereo sound, and I have try a lot of configurations in both, but with no results, can anybody help me to fix this. Thank you in advance...

Hello, I have the same KU6000 and a Dennon AVR-2113, I am trying to make my 5.1 surround sound to work with a HDMI ARC cable (my dennon has it and the tv too), but it only gives me stereo sound, and I have try a lot of configurations in both, but with no results, can anybody help me to fix this. Thank you in advance...
Your TV must have the ability to pass 5.1, some do not. Have you tried optical, it's far more reliable although the same constraints may apply to that to ARC.

TV to AVR - as above the Streaming Apps ought to support at least DD, have you confirmed you are playing back content which is encoded with a 5.1 sound track?

ARC - requires you to enable CEC on the TV and AVR and that can be problematic so another vote for installing an Optical cable between the TV and the AVR and disabling CEC/ARC.

If you can get things working as required using an Optical cable you can then go back and try CEC/ARC knowing the TV is at least decoding and outputting a 5.1 signal.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom