ARC, eARC and AVR compatibility

JohnB352

Novice Member
My first post here. I'm about to replace my 10 year old LG TV with something new. I have a Denon AVR-E400. It does not support eARC. I have read TV reviews about compatibility issues. Current setup is HDMI from ARC on the TV to ARC HDMI on the Denon. For streaming apps I have a Roku connected to an HDMI port on the Denon. I'm guessing I'm going to lose the ability to use that setup with a new TV that has an eARC 2.1 HDMI. Getting a new receiver at the same time is not an option, unfortunately. I can use the streaming apps that come with the new TV. But to use the audio of the Denon, how would I connect things? For example, watching a movie on the TV and having the sound come out the speakers connected to the Denon?

SeanBrothers

An eARC TV should function correctly with your ARC receiver. eARC will act as ARC in this case.

Not having eARC means you will require CEC to be enabled, and that you will not get the higher resolution audio that no streaming service is using.

Use the same connections between your receiver and new TV and then select TV Audio on your receiver.

dante01

Distinguished Member
In order to get eARC funtionality then both the AV receiver and the TV need to be eARC enabled. If the TV is eARC enabled, but the AVR is only ARC enabled then you'd only attain ARC associated capabilities.

No streaming services encodedes their content with anything that would require eARC. The highest audio format they use is DD+ and even Atmos metadata can be packaged with this. DD+ can be conveyed using conventional ARC and doesn't require eARC.

If the TV is eARC enaled or ARC enabled, this wouldn't prevent you from accessing audio sourced via devices connected directly to the AV receiver's HDMI inputs.

The AV receiver will be able to access the highest format audio currently used by streaming services using just ARC. Such services do not use HD formatted audio and the highest format they use will be DD+. DD+ can be readilly conveyed using conventional ARC and eARC is not required.

Simply ensure that you connect the AV receiver's ARC enabled output to the TV's ARC enabled input and then turn on both HDMI Control and ARC from within the AV receiver's HDMI configurations. Ensure that ARC is selected as the output option on the TV and that the TV's implementation of HDMI CEC is engaged. Also set the digital audio output setting on the TV to AUTO or PASS THROUGH. Power down both the TV and the AV receiver and ARC should be fully functional when you power them back up.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Not having eARC means you will require CEC to be enabled, and that you will not get the higher resolution audio that no streaming service is using.

Incorrect. Streaming services do not use HD formats and use DD+. DD+ can be conveyed using conventional ARC and DD+ doesn't require eARC.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As others have said ARC ‘should’ work - though as ever with HDMI and CEC nothing is ever guaranteed once you start to introduce new hardware onto a system.

Usually Optical Digital audio from the TV to the AVR with CEC disabled is your fall back if you hit any issues.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom