ARC device

DanielUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am hoping you can help me please.

I have just replaced my old Philips 55PUS6401 TV with a new Samsung QE65Q70AATXXU 65 Inch QLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV.

The TV is all set up and working fine on FreeSat, but I have a problem with sound output which I want to go through my Denon AVR-X2300W Receiver and thus ceiling speakers etc.

Previously, I used a HDMI ARC port on the TV linked with a HDMI cable into this box...
then an optical cable from that into my Denon AVR which worked perfectly.

Since getting the new TV, using the same setup, I am getting an error saying "Your audio device is connected to a port that does not support ARC. Please connect your device to the HDMI 3 (ARC) port."

I have tried everything. Switching everything off, checking the cable, etc. So I think the TV is likely incompatible with the above little box device.

Any ideas or suggestions on one that might work?

The reason I don't want to use HDMI directly from the TV -> AVR in the 'MONITOR 1 ARC' port is because I have a projector setup too, so then it messes that up. I did try, just to see if it'd work, using MONITOR 1 and then popping the projector HDMI into MONITOR 2 for when I use that, again to no avail.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
In touching on something Daniel is saying here in his thread, I had a question about ARC myself -- I am using an older (circa 2007!) Onkyo AVR with my 4K TV and Blu-ray player, but I am using the receiver's HDMI out to feed my Samsung display on the HDMI4 port simply for checking the receiver's onscreen menus from time to time (to make sure they're still set properly).

I have been experiencing issues lately where the video output from the AVR, on the setup menus, is beginning to show signs of failure with weird green lines that will flash on the screen, sometimes even creating very strange behavior -- at times, I won't even get a picture on the screen, while during other times the setup menu of the Onkyo will "freeze up" in that I won't be able to go back with the remote's RETURN button to a previous menu. When this occurs, I have to power off the receiver, turn it back on and return to where I was in the setup.

The HDMI4 port on my Samsung TV this AVR is connected to is the one with "ARC" implementation, and I am wondering if the funky behavior from the receiver's HDMI out is being caused by this ARC-enabled port. To me, it sounds like a hardware failure (i.e. the Onkyo's HDMI port is dying or the HDMI out is failing), but I just wanted to know if it's a possibility that the ARC of this port is doing something here...

In touching on something Daniel is saying here in his thread, I had a question about ARC myself -- I am using an older (circa 2007!) Onkyo AVR with my 4K TV and Blu-ray player, but I am using the receiver's HDMI out to feed my Samsung display on the HDMI4 port simply for checking the receiver's onscreen menus from time to time (to make sure they're still set properly).

I have been experiencing issues lately where the video output from the AVR, on the setup menus, is beginning to show signs of failure with weird green lines that will flash on the screen, sometimes even creating very strange behavior -- at times, I won't even get a picture on the screen, while during other times the setup menu of the Onkyo will "freeze up" in that I won't be able to go back with the remote's RETURN button to a previous menu. When this occurs, I have to power off the receiver, turn it back on and return to where I was in the setup.

The HDMI4 port on my Samsung TV this AVR is connected to is the one with "ARC" implementation, and I am wondering if the funky behavior from the receiver's HDMI out is being caused by this ARC-enabled port. To me, it sounds like a hardware failure (i.e. the Onkyo's HDMI port is dying or the HDMI out is failing), but I just wanted to know if it's a possibility that the ARC of this port is doing something here...

It doesn't sound like anything you'd ordinarilly attribute to ARC. ARC doesn't effect the video because ARC wouldn't be in use while conveying the AV receiver's onscreen graphics to the display. ARC basically repurposes the HDMI connection to convey just audio from the TV to the AV receiver.

Have you tried using different cables? Worth a try, but as you've suggested, this does sound a bit more serious and probably is a hardware issue with the AV receiver?

It doesn't sound like anything you'd ordinarilly attribute to ARC. ARC doesn't effect the video because ARC wouldn't be in use while conveying the AV receiver's onscreen graphics to the display. ARC basically repurposes the HDMI connection to convey just audio from the TV to the AV receiver.

Have you tried using different cables? Worth a try, but as you've suggested, this does sound a bit more serious and probably is a hardware issue with the AV receiver?
Thank you for the quick response, Dante.

I didn't think the ARC port would be affecting it -- just figured I'd run it past you good lads.

I have not tried a different cable as I didn't see how a failing cable would cause what is occurring with this problem -- that is, sometimes the remote's RETURN button won't even let me go back to exit the menu I'm in, forcing me to shut down and re-enter the menu system upon startup. It definitely seems like an HDMI output board failure...which would make sense, being that we have used this amp nearly every day since buying it back in 07 or so.

Does this sound like anything a failing HDMI cable could cause?

To the op why not plug the optical cables straight into the back of the TV?

Does this sound like anything a failing HDMI cable could cause?

I'd not associate what you are experiencing with the cable, not the bit about being unable to return and dismiss the onscreen menu anyway. I'd still try another cable if you've one to hand though.

To the op why not plug the optical cables straight into the back of the TV?
Thank you for this!

Unfortunately only HDMI is possible as it runs through a wall - no way to get the optical cable to the TV (AVR is in a loft). I wish I could!

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong so any help would be amazing. Would you agree it’s likely to be the little ARC box that’s the problem?

Thanks,
Dan

Really daft question, have you plugged the cable from the arc box into HDMI 3 on the tv? Just you didn’t specifically say which port your plugged it into

My TV for example has arc on HDMI 2.

Yup that’s correct - it’s in HDMI 3 (I’ve triple checked). That’s why I can only surmise it’s the ARC box that’s the problem and isn’t compatible with the new TV as it all worked before - typical!! I thought about just ordering another ARC box off Amazon but there’s so many, hence asking here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Dan

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this one again. Still no joy.

In theory does anyone have any recommendations of a HDMI ARC->optical audio converter box that should work with the above Samsung TV and Denon AVR? There’s so many when I search so any help appreciated - I’m guessing the one linked above is the problem.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

I'd not associate what you are experiencing with the cable, not the bit about being unable to return and dismiss the onscreen menu anyway. I'd still try another cable if you've one to hand though.
Thanks D.

I can try another cable; just difficult to get in behind my entertainment centre...

Does the Samsung TV have a ‘OneConnect’ box or is the Octava connected direct to HDMI3 on the TV?

Are you powering all devices off simultaneously when making changes to the configuration?

Is the TV set to ARC rather than eARC - if that is an option.

HDFury do have eARC/ARC to Optical options - though hopefully we can get the Octava working with your new TV.

Joe

Thanks so much @Joe Fernand.

The HDMI cable from HDMI3 on the tv goes straight into the Octava box, then from that the optical cable goes into TV audio on the AVR.

I haven’t been powering things down when changing it, good shout. I’ll give that a go! Would that normally make a difference?

I can’t see any option on the TV other than eARC.

Thanks again,
Dan

Powering devices Off is good practice for a couple of reasons - one being to protect your devices against any over voltages as you connect/disconnect HDMI cables as they carry power and earth plus it forces devices to fully refresh all handshakes and automatic settings.

Joe

Hi all. Sorry to keep adding to this thread but still not getting anywhere.

I’ve tried another ARC box - this one here:
Unocho 4K HDMI Audio Extractor 5.1 ARC HDMI to HDMI 60hz HDMI to Audio Optical Toslink SPDIF Audio 3.5mm AUX Stereo Audio Out HDMI Audio Converter Adapter Splitter Amazon product ASIN B085HPLVFG
This also didn’t work. Oddly, with this one connected in the exact same way in the output audio options on the TV (see picture) the line saying HDMI receiver vanished.

I hooked the original ARC box back, the Octava box linked above, still no luck with audio but HDMI receiver showed back up.

Just to confirm the setup

HDMI cables are fine and modern. I’ve tried others too
I’ve powered down
HDMI is definitely in HDMI3 ARC on TV
HDMI from TV goes to ARC box
From ARC box an optical cable goes into the “TV AUDIO” optical port on AVR

This setup worked perfectly with my old Philips tv so I’m guessing this is Samsung not playing ball with the ARC box. Unfortunately I need one as I have no way of getting an optical cable to the tv (different rooms).

Any suggestions on an ARC box that might work would be amazing.

Thanks for your help,
Dan

Attachments

• 46D1FAD8-A72B-4FC7-89B2-8665E2FAA676.jpeg
    46D1FAD8-A72B-4FC7-89B2-8665E2FAA676.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 437FD29A-7E4C-4418-8E20-0F5A4D0FD1CE.jpeg
    437FD29A-7E4C-4418-8E20-0F5A4D0FD1CE.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 54
Drop me a note - we possibly have an Open Box solution from HDFury which has more user options in terms of the configuration so more opportunity to get the system working again.

Joe

Have you got anything else in terms of HDMI plugged into the TV?

How are you checking which is HDMI 3 as looking online it looks like it is 2 from the top (but there are two USBs above it)?

1645140912054.png

The message on the screen suggests the device is attached but the wrong port. Can you try it in the other ones, take a photo of it so we can double-check. The stuff Joe uses is great but it will be in the same category as the others if you plug in the wrong port.

Either that or the person doing the message needs some better guidance.

Thanks a lot @ChuckMountain
I’ve triple checked that HDMI 3 is the port used. It’s labelled next to it and states ARC. As soon as that error popped up it made me double check.

I can of course recheck, just need to wait for someone to help me with it as it’s wall mounted.

Thanks again,
Dan

Would deep colour settings or anything like that affect it? It shouldn’t do but maybe just the odd nothing set on that HDMI input?

Would deep colour settings or anything like that affect it? It shouldn’t do but maybe just the odd nothing set on that HDMI input?
Not sure what this means, sorry! I’ll double check HDMI3 as soon as I practically can. Thanks again for your help!

Just a quick update HDMI 3 is definitely in use - correct port.

The only other option I have with the cabling installation (I don’t have any option to re-run new cable) is there is a spare speaker cable available. Could I add phono ends red/white onto either end and use that perhaps?!

Thanks as ever,
Dan

What other ports are in use? Did you try it in the other ports just to double check.

there is a spare speaker cable available. Could I add phono ends red/white onto either end and use that perhaps?!

Unfortunately not as speaker cables is not shielded unlike a typical coax cable, you will get horrendous interference and noise issues if you do.

Do you have any CAT5/6 cable already installed? You can convert from optical to CAT x cable and then back again.

If you have only one cable providing ethernet to the TV you could at a pinch make a custom lead (as the TV will only be a 100Mbit port) to use one pair as sound and the other 2 as network. Its a bit of a bodge but should work fine if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Thank you! Unfortunately no Ethernet cable.

I’ll try the other ports just to be sure - fingers crossed!

Really appreciate the help.

Other ports tested just to update. I think it’s the Octava box splitting HDMI to optical audio. As the new TV is “eARC” is that potentially why? If there’s any recommendations of one that should work with eARC please let me know.

Thanks again for the help,
Dan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom