Aquos advanced Black

jimbob19

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have an MCE2005 pc fed via DVI to my Aquos
However I notice that using this method I loose out on the advanced Black setting , which does make quite a difference to the "blacks"
Is there any way to re-enable this on DVI or does it appear if using analogue vga ?
If not has anyone managed to produce as good a black from a PC fed DVI input ? If so what settings did you use

Thanks

Good question.

Have you tried calibrating your video card settings for better blacks? I'm still to go down this route but there seems to be loads of settings I can stuff up with my radeon 9800.

Sidenote on cables. I nicked the VGA cable off my old 18" nec lcd which has a vga to dvi converter at one end and used this for the tv connection while waiting for a highspec dvi to dvi cable to arrive (The radeon has vga + dvi output).

The vga cable I was using produced a much cleaner picture. The true dvi cable results in a picture that looks as though is slightly out of sync. Little bits of tearing here and there. Might just be the vga cable has better shielding.

Haven't tried calibrating the blacks through the radeon adjustments yet , but looks like this may be the only option when going via DVI

Still cant get the blacks as good through DVI , also you dont have the DNR options and sharpness etc when using DVI :(

Have you tried both the PC and AV digital settings on the Aquos I have a hunch that PC DVI input expects DVI-PC levels (0..255) and AV DVI input expects DVI-Video inputs (16..235). if you end up using the wrong combination between source and display, you will get incorrect blacks and whites.

-Ian

With DVI connected I only get a picture using PC Digital on the screen , this unfortunately does not have any of the advanced adjustments available

Are you running 136x x 768? If so, that probably only works in PC dot for dot mode, but when I demo'd a GD1E I sucessfully ran 720p in AV-DVI mode from a HDMI DVD player.

Yes I am running it Dot for Dot mode at 1366x768
I suspect in this mode none of the advanced settings for DNR , blacks etc are available - shame really

jimbob19 said:
I suspect in this mode none of the advanced settings for DNR , blacks etc are available - shame really

Well you won't need DNR - I think that's only useful for analogue terrestrial where it will help with "snow" type interference at the expense of some detail.

Via a PC you should have better control over video settings that you do with an AV source. You could adjust the image gamma on the computer, for instance (assuming that your video drivers provide this feature). I found that the enhanced black setting on my screen removes any detail in the black - kind of the opposite of what it says. Maybe I should try it again.

James

jimbob19 said:

Probably not the problem in this case but don't you need to set the res to 1368x768 ? I thought gfx cards could only show res's that are multiples of 8 ?

Richie.

Yes the GFX card res is at 1368x768 - sorry bit confusing in my original post
So running dot by dot mode at 1366x768 (loosing 1 pixel each side)

jgrg said:
I found that the enhanced black setting on my screen removes any detail in the black - kind of the opposite of what it says. Maybe I should try it again.

I tried this at the weekend, and setting it removes detail in the darker areas of the image. I can't see the point of it!

James

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom