Aquarium Fish And A Big Subwoofer!!

samjet

Ex Member
Reaction score
firstly this is not a joke!

just revamping my lounge to make space for a large aquarium - the only problem is that one end will be next to a Rel Storm sub!!!

will the low frequencies emitted by the sub bother the fish?? - i'm an experienced fishkeeper but this one has got me beat :D

i know there not the same but to start with my labrador barked at the sub but she's now got used to it :D

what got me thinking was that submarines use extremely low frequency to transmit messages whilst submerged - therefore it goes without saying that said frequencies travel well through water!

:lease:

IMHO it will stress the fish, they pick up vibrations via their lateral line.

If they hate the glass being tapped, do you think they'd like having a sledgehammer bass line rattling through it? :D

I would think it would annoy them, when kids stomp around the pond at our pub the fish get pretty agitated.

I have a 15" sub in the same room as two large aquariums and the fish are not bothered even when the people in the flat upstairs are.

mylo said:
I have a 15" sub in the same room as two large aquariums and the fish are not bothered even when the people in the flat upstairs are.

thats reassuring - practical experience :D

btw what fish do you keep??

mylo said:

Do you tell them to go throw themselves in a fishbowl? :devil: :D

What he didn't tell you is that his 15" sub is this one ;)

Attachments

• submarine.jpg
    submarine.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 128
:blush: you promised to keep that secret John :rolleyes:

i have 8 goldfish/redtail/bubble eye/lion etc etc and they live quite close to the sub i use ( vel vx10 ) and they are not bothered . Btw i'm looking for a another 4 foot tank AHEM if anyone is worried about the fish and want to get rid of their tank as its unbearble to see their fish in pain and cant part with their audio set up i would be glad to take it off their hands . :devil: ;)

well i'm off out to the aquarist shops this am to have a look at a few tanks - though i have a funny feeling i'll end up on the custom made route yet again :D

just checking the available space and 6' long x 3' high x 2' deep seems to be about it

might have to do a few mods to the domestic plumbing - being a lazy sod i'm hoping to have a cold water feed to a conditioning tank where replacement / top up water is preheated/treated before being transferred to the main tank via a pump - water change being discharged directly outside through the wall to a drain

just need to make a final decision on fish - the options are either malawi's ( overstocked to prevent murderous territorial disputes) or marines (fish only)

though i've a lot of experience with our fishy friends this will be the first venture since moving to notts - therefore i need recommendations as to good fish suppliers - any help guys???

samjet said:
well i'm off out to the aquarist shops this am to have a look at a few tanks - though i have a funny feeling i'll end up on the custom made route yet again :D

just checking the available space and 6' long x 3' high x 2' deep seems to be about it

might have to do a few mods to the domestic plumbing - being a lazy sod i'm hoping to have a cold water feed to a conditioning tank where replacement / top up water is preheated/treated before being transferred to the main tank via a pump - water change being discharged directly outside through the wall to a drain

just need to make a final decision on fish - the options are either malawi's ( overstocked to prevent murderous territorial disputes) or marines (fish only)

though i've a lot of experience with our fishy friends this will be the first venture since moving to notts - therefore i need recommendations as to good fish suppliers - any help guys???

bardills garden centre has a good fish section, I got a south american red tailed catfish from them, only a couple of inches long when I got him but he soon grew into a two foot long monster :eek:
there's a petshop at codnor with a good fish room as well. :thumbsup:
I've got a 6ft by 15 inch by 12 inch tank doing nothing in my shed, I can't decide if i want to set it up again or give it away to someone with the transport to cart it off...... decisions.. desicions. :)

samjet said:

pet city ( major ratailer) i think they are in most towns are quite good. They give you a 7 day money back if you fish dies. I would go in a few days before and keep an eye on the fish and watch out for new arrivals. Avoid them as they are more prone to die.

well i've done a bit a research towards buying my new system

prices have gone up a bit in the last few years to say the least :eek:

if i take the marine option we are looking at £3500 for a 'proper' reef system - and thats not including fish etc!! - i know it can be done cheaper but i feel that you have a responsibility to give the fish the best habitat available

so it looks like the malawi option is the one to pursue

i'm going to keep an eye on fleabay for a while as secondhand large systems can be very difficult to sell (i found that out myself when i moved south from scotland)

does anybody know any fishy web sites where secondhand gear is sold??

samjet
if you go down the A52 from notts past the queens medical centre and head towards Derby you'll find bardills garden centre just off one of the traffic islands,
they have a large fish room and an even larger area with tanks and all the koi etc.
if you go up to the counter in the tank area they can quote the prices for the huge tanks which someone makes for them,
last time I asked a 6ft x 2ft x 2 ft was about £250, and they deliver.
don't be put off by the fish being in a garden centre because it's run by a family who know their fishkeeping. :)

Hi Samjet
Have to agree with Lion Ive Lived in Nottingham nearly two years now and found Bardills the only place worth dealing with. Having had problems particularly with livestock at other places. There may be other reputable dealers in the area but its difficult to find these out when you hardly no anybody and no one that you do know is into fishkeeping! :rolleyes: :)

Good luck with the tank setup. :)

I just found this picture of my 6ft tank when I had it set up just for one fish !
he killed all his tank mates :eek:
as you can see the mission speakers were right underneath and they give some good deep bass, although not to subwoofer depths of course, the fish didn't seem to mind and he lived for 12 years, then I got my red tailed catfish which outgrew the 6ft tank very quickly and ended up in a heated pond in my old home made conservatory, happy days. :D

Have you tried wharf aquatics in Pinxton (near Mansfield) ? They do a lot of that kind of stuff.

thanks very much for the advice guys :D

will pop into bardills /wharf aquatics and have a look

that web site also looks interesting

I am sure you know but have to tell you .

Its very unsafe to have your tank hanging off a shelf/support like in the picture. I suggest you make sure you have a stand big enough of have one made. If that smashed ( and i know they do) it was be very very bad.

Ayub said:
I am sure you know but have to tell you .

Its very unsafe to have your tank hanging off a shelf/support like in the picture. I suggest you make sure you have a stand big enough of have one made. If that smashed ( and i know they do) it was be very very bad.

Gotta agree with Ayub on this one :eek: I am surprised your tank lasted 2 hours!! And that pine chest of drawers doesn't look very sturdy either! Sorry for the cristicism, but just looking out for you ;)

thanks for your concern guys :p
the pine chest of drawers was (and still is) a very sturdy and heavy piece of furniture,
the tank was on polystyrene which dose'nt seem to show up on the photo,
I had it like that for many years without any problems, when the one fish that was in it died of old age I got a small, 4 inch, red tailed catfish and he lived happily in there untill he was about 14" long and having trouble turning round as the tank is only 12" front to back, once I moved him into a heated pool ( where he grew to over two feet long ) I stored the tank in my shed where it still resides to this day, unused and unwanted. :eek:
the mission speakers are up in my loft also unused and unwanted, and the pine unit is in my new conservatory with a very heavy concrete budha ( which is supposed to be a garden ornament ) on top of it :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom