Aquarium Black Substrate

Garrett

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some black aquarium gravel that's not sharp so bottom feeders done get cut, between 2mm and 5mm and preferably not gravel that's been coloured so in time will loose the black look.

Have you tried petsathome ?
They used to have some really good gravel .

We have black in our tank and has never faded

I've got the Hugo Kamishi small grain (2-4mm) gravel in my tanks and it's pretty good. It's starting to look a little grey now though, but it has been in the tank a year and I haven't cleaned it recently.

Thanks just read a review on Petsathome site and someone says its not as good as it use to be, even though rinsing it it clouded there tank 2 days later and lost some colour.:(

I've got the Hugo Kamishi small grain (2-4mm) gravel in my tanks and it's pretty good. It's starting to look a little grey now though, but it has been in the tank a year and I haven't cleaned it recently.
Thanks tell what its like if you clean it soon, I found somewhere that stocked it and the got an email that I opened this aft saying from a supplier there was a 5% offer on but finished at 1pm today which I though had ended at weekend.:(

Have you tried petsathome ?
They used to have some really good gravel .

We have black in our tank and has never faded
Had a look in today and saw the gravel and all things the bag had split and saw what had fallen out too fine.

Garrett I got my gravel cleaned today and it's still looking pretty good. Out of the water it's still clearly jet black, but some of it looks very dark grey under the water and aquarium lights. I'm still happy with it though.
Excuse the photo-bombing apisto and snails!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401485795.275185.jpg

Edit: just spotted a guppy in there too! :)

Sorry to jump in and it has nothing to do with gravel but...... Going to be getting a bigger tank at the weekend. Got a bargain on a juwel 190. Now I have a aqua external pump which is 600L/H. Now I know I need to replace the water appox 4 times an hour but taking into account for substrate and wood etc etc do you think it will be ok? Works out I need 680 for 170l. How much space does all that stuff take up?

Maths was never my strong point. If you don't know which is the best forum to frequent where I would get an answer.......

That's it :)

Sorry to jump in and it has nothing to do with gravel but...... Going to be getting a bigger tank at the weekend. Got a bargain on a juwel 190. Now I have a aqua external pump which is 600L/H. Now I know I need to replace the water appox 4 times an hour but taking into account for substrate and wood etc etc do you think it will be ok? Works out I need 680 for 170l. How much space does all that stuff take up?

Maths was never my strong point. If you don't know which is the best forum to frequent where I would get an answer.......

That's it :)
Aquarium Volume Calculator

Thanks for the link but I know how much the tank holds ;) it's 190L just don't know how much all the other stuff will take up in litres :)

for substrate use the calculator and just take it away from the total.

You don't exclude the substrate and decor, you include them and base the filtration on the full tank volume.
I personally would never go for anything less than 6x the aquarium volume as it's always better to over filtrate rather than under. You can go up as high as you like though, my 110L for example has a 1200lph filter.

Guess it's a new pump then :(

Fraid so. You need at least 800lph so either buy one rated for at least that or buy a small 200lph internal and put it at the opposite end of the tank to the external for maximum water movement.

I'm not a fan of internal pumps as I don't like to look at them. I might invest in another external pump to run along side my original one. I am going to scour ebay now :)

You don't exclude the substrate and decor, you include them and base the filtration on the full tank volume.
I personally would never go for anything less than 6x the aquarium volume as it's always better to over filtrate rather than under. You can go up as high as you like though, my 110L for example has a 1200lph filter.
even though I don't exclude them as apart from not being able to calculate for décor you do miss a lot of mass due to glass thickness substrate and headroom.
Anyway I have a 1200lph for my 40 gallon tank. and have the intake at one end of the tank and the spray bar at the other.

I have an external and an internal filter in my 180ltr tank. My Fluval external had a built-in heater that failed and killed nearly all of the fish over a weekend. I was left with a plec and some rummy nosed tetras and the rest perished. As the filter is a good few years old (7 or 8), I'm thinking of getting a new one but I will keep the internal running as a back-up.

even though I don't exclude them as apart from not being able to calculate for décor you do miss a lot of mass due to glass thickness substrate and headroom.
Anyway I have a 1200lph for my 40 gallon tank. and have the intake at one end of the tank and the spray bar at the other.

True, but it's not technically possible to over filter a tank. The more filtration the better as it closer simulates the wild. It's obviously easier working out the number when you know your tank is advertised as a 190L and using that, rather than try to work out how many litres the glass, decor and substrate take up.
All my tanks run with at least 10 times filtration except my smallest that only runs at 6x. All my tanks also run 2 filters so that if one breaks there is still some filtration in the tanks and hopefully my fish survive.

I've actually been looking into sumps. They do seem really easy to maintain although I am not keen on drilling the tank. Also it would be a really fun project to get my teeth into. I won't be setting up the tank for a few weeks as I have a lot going on at the weekends and of course the World Cup is upon us :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom