Aquarium and Tropical/Marine Fish chit chat thread

Garrett

From what i can find out the current position marked above is the "normal" operation mode with no extension (bypass of pre-filter) so maximum filtration media used if you wish.
although i have read that most people don't use this feature as it normally only buys you a few days at most before you need to do a filter service and clean the pre filter anyway.
Just found the instruction book in with my hi fi and TV manuals and 125 pages of instructions plus a cover page of diagrams, but the English in it about 5 pages and some of the pages cover the temperature controlled model and not one bit of info on the bypass extender controller, the nearest info on the box which has the lever to the RH side when mentioning the extender.
I found this video but just before he ads the water the lever to the LH side at the top but when he says he going to prime it and then when thats done you can see the lever at the RH side.
Filter set up  1.jpg
Filter set up  2.jpg
Filter set up  2 plug in.jpg

And this guy has it pointed to the RH and mentions the bypassing and moves it to the left but before putting it down turns it back to the RH at 3,29

Last edited:

Garrett

BTW you external filter users do you replace the head attachment with no water in the canister or fill it from water from the tank till almost full and then attach the head and prime it? I do the latter but find I'm always having to prime way more than what they show in the videos.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Does yours not have a valve so you do not need to prime it? I empty mine, clean the media. Then replace the top, undo the valve and let the tank water re fill it before putting the power back on.

Garrett

Does yours not have a valve so you do not need to prime it? I empty mine, clean the media. Then replace the top, undo the valve and let the tank water re fill it before putting the power back on.
Yes it switches both pipes off before you press a button to release the pies and the valve so you can move all the filter.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Why do you need to prime it then? There should still be a vacuum in the tubes so as soon as you open the valve again the water should just flow into the filter.

Also you shouldn't fill it first.

Robbowal

Distinguished Member
BTW you external filter users do you replace the head attachment with no water in the canister or fill it from water from the tank till almost full and then attach the head and prime it? I do the latter but find I'm always having to prime way more than what they show in the videos.
i have done both ways in the past and find it makes no real difference (filer full or empty before hand) as long as the impeller is not air locked then the filter will expel the excess air on its own (most of which is in the floss and EhfiMech Pro (plastic type) and not the ceramic hoops which hold no air at all).
It does seem to be the only thing Eheim are not good with is the priming function on their filters everything eles is pretty much flawless.
1596184115437.png

Ehfi Mech Pro which breaks down to a horrible sludge after a few years
1596184179692.png

The old type of Mech was ceramic hoops it lasted forever.

Garrett

i have done both ways in the past and find it makes no real difference (filer full or empty before hand) as long as the impeller is not air locked then the filter will expel the excess air on its own (most of which is in the floss and EhfiMech Pro (plastic type) and not the ceramic hoops which hold no air at all).
It does seem to be the only thing Eheim are not good with is the priming function on their filters everything eles is pretty much flawless.
View attachment 1342897
Ehfi Mech Pro which breaks down to a horrible sludge after a few years
View attachment 1342900
The old type of Mech was ceramic hoops it lasted forever.
Have you seen the Pimp my filter #22 video above he gives the filter a right mauling, I never noticed the piping down the side were not solid I may try ultraviolet gluing of them together and seeing if they still slot together rather than have his problem of one flopping out.
I never thought of the way of his filtering I thought each level up from the bottom took most of the detritus out at the bottom there were finer and finer filters albeit housing for the microbes to sort the water chemistry out and the very last bit was the bit that polished the water. I also not he had one level where he said he no filter material, on mine I got some sort of flat square ones.

Going to take his advice and see what that filter material at the bottom does but think I may stick in the second level.
I had Fluvial and then tetra which was better but the first two always had problems with leaking after a couple of water changes even with new O rings and sometime when priming water come out of the primer. But thankfully the last one I got the head 0 ring seal is clamped between the upper head and lower body rather than it being on the side of the head and body. I'm still not over keen on the Tetra pipe work joining the head I had to replace the plastic selves a fair few times that lock the pipes in place.
Of that and the Eheim I find the better of the two so far although not had it that long compared with Tetra.

gibbsy

I use two Oase Biotherm 350 canister filters in the discus aquarium. No problems with them filling after a cleanout. Best part about these filters is that they have a pre-filter than can be removed and cleaned which I do on a fortnightly basis. This makes having to strip and clean the main filter having a longer interval inbetween. They heating element is also inside the filter which is great for the discus when they decide to have a small territorial dispute.

55149_05_1024x1024.jpg

oa42747cpxl_2.jpg

Robbowal

Distinguished Member
I myself use the pro 3 t 350 ( a thermo filter) and my bio-load is tiny in a 240ltr tank that is very heavily planted.
I would agree with him on the quality drop over the years ( god bless the Eheim classic canister filter they were bullet proof) but i guess that's profit margins being widened.
And i agree that the Mech pro is pants, i might just pick up some of their media to try it out when i get round to doing the tank filter change which is due in a month or so.
one thing i will say about that video is its not really a fair shake down of the filter as i don't stack the trays outside the filter ever, and they are a one directional tight fit to the canister body so if you take your time its should just work correctly, with out all the issues he "highlights".
But i guess if your in a rush then mistakes can happen same as any other filter.

The empty tray should be filled with bio media (he did mention this) if you do follow his advice i would set it up as he suggested, in reality all he has done is condense the full filter to the bottom tray and allow the top trays to have clean water to house the bio media and bacteria ( this prevents them filling with detritus and being efficient )
As my tank is heavily planted this would clog quickly with mulm (plant waste) and not be ideal for me.

but i can see the benefits for other setups

Garrett

I use two Oase Biotherm 350 canister filters in the discus aquarium. No problems with them filling after a cleanout. Best part about these filters is that they have a pre-filter than can be removed and cleaned which I do on a fortnightly basis. This makes having to strip and clean the main filter having a longer interval inbetween. They heating element is also inside the filter which is great for the discus when they decide to have a small territorial dispute.

View attachment 1343079

View attachment 1343081
where the seal for the head to the body, head on top of body with seal in the middle, or the canister on the outside and the head on the inside with the seal in the middle of there vertical sides?

gibbsy

The seal is around the head of the pump itself. The heater and the pre-filter have their own seals, as does in the input and outflow head. Been running them for about two years now. So easy to service.

Garrett

The empty tray should be filled with bio media (he did mention this)
He filled the bottom one with foam and motioned each tray took 1.2Kg of media making 3.6 kg so that be the next 3 trays above are filled.

Garrett

The seal is around the head of the pump itself. The heater and the pre-filter have their own seals, as does in the input and outflow head. Been running them for about two years now. So easy to service.
On the side or underneath?
...............IOI or.....-----
................................. O
...............................-----

Last edited:

Garrett

Underneath.
I like the handle my first two Tetratec had them albeit small and was frightened they break on the way to the sink but neither does the Tetratec or Eheim have them now.
Ill have to remember that filter but get some better media when I do :)

gibbsy

I like the handle my first two Tetratec had them albeit small and was frightened they break on the way to the sink but neither does the Tetratec or Eheim have them now.
Ill have to remember that filter but get some better media when I do :)
Heavy duty handle on the Oase, feels safe even when full. Bit of a faff to service the whole of the filter as you have to take the heater and the pre-filter out first. Five trays in the main filter so a lot of media can be used.

Garrett

How you guys keeping the water temperature down in the heat waves? Noticed mine today and were at the top limit but when the sun was coming though the windows kept the curtains drawn and that makes a difference. Just stuck some plastic bottles part filled with water to float on the top if the temps go higher.

Robbowal

Distinguished Member
How you guys keeping the water temperature down in the heat waves? Noticed mine today and were at the top limit but when the sun was coming though the windows kept the curtains drawn and that makes a difference. Just stuck some plastic bottles part filled with water to float on the top if the temps go higher.
lid open and place a small fan (computer fan will work well) pointed across the water surface, evaporation will cause cooling of the tank.
1596261282676.png

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
I don’t bother. A gradual increase of a few degrees isn’t a big deal. Mine set to 25.5 and even yesterday it only increased to 27degrees.

gibbsy

Mine is set to 27.5° the highest it went at the first heat wave, we didn't get really high temperatures this week, was 29.8°. The discus absolutely loved it. They got really frisky. Now what I mean, nudge nudge, wink wink.:)

Garrett

Just saw this video and was hoping he mention the by pass but it was not but someone in the comments asked and

ThisBoyPodcasts3 years ago
Hi Aquanut, thanks for the video. Im currently running this filter and i Have a question. What is the correct running position for the range extender>? I.e. for running filter normally should the dial be to the left or the right? If you have the answer i would be so grateful, I have searched the web and the instructions but cannot see a definitive answer. many thanks :)

AQUA NUT
3 years ago
+ThisBoyPodcasts Yeah no problem bud. All the way to the left is running normally, to the right is the bypass. I put a example in one of our recent videos on Hydor vs Eheim it shows up at about the 10 minute mark. Thanks for watching.
EDIT looked for that video but can only find one 6 minute long where he test the pump noise.

Last edited: