Aquarium and Tropical/Marine Fish chit chat thread

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Not sure how many fish keepers we have here on AVF. I know aquariums have kind of fallen out of fashion in recent years but I still get excited every time I see a good one(home, or shop, takeaway restaurant), there's something magical about a well cared for aquarium IMO.

Anyway, a few might have noticed me mention in the "recent purchases" thread that I'd purchased my first new tank in several years(have been itching to get another set-up, but first time it's been practical again for us). Finally took delivery of it a couple of days ago, all set up now and on to the boring cycling couple of weeks before I can introduce the first group of fishies.

Will share some pics as it comes together, Here it is so far......

pictures upload

pic upload

Had a Malawi Mbuna set-up last time out so gone for something different this time and having Tanganyikans(the shells are for the Lamprologus, the rocks for some rock dwellers haven't chosen yet(probably Altolamprologus), open sand area for Cyathopharynx and a nice school of around 12-14 Cyrichromis Utinta for as the free water swimmers. Pretty excited about it all already :)

Anyone else here with similar set-ups, or care to share pics of whatever set-ups you may have(love seeing pics of other peoples set-ups, plenty forums around for that but can't beat the AVF community so hoping there are a few fish keepers here.

Last edited:

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
I've a 55g currently stocked with a few angels, tetras etc. I've just upgraded to a planted c02 tank and having a nightmare trying to grow the basics.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I've a 55g currently stocked with a few angels, tetras etc. I've just upgraded to a planted c02 tank and having a nightmare trying to grow the basics.
Will be interested to see how you get on. I never had any luck with planted aquariums..... but that was the days before internet and all the amazing filtration methods we have now, not to mention information and wealth of knowledge out there being shared which is so useful these days.

Funny enough I almost went for an Asian river set-up, but my past planted nightmares slightly put me off(was one of the reasons I moved to a rock filled Malawi set-up years ago). Have always been curious about these c02 devices, have seen some amazing planted aquariums online using that method!

Keep us updated, and pics please fellas:thumbsup:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Had tropical fish over the years but always ended up over run with snails? Have always wanted a marine fish set up but the horror stories of get this right always puts me off.
Anyway good luck with your new tank.
Snails can be a nightmare, I've always been careful never to let any in.

Like yourself I've always wanted Marine, I fact we came close this time, but once again got nervous mainly about leaving them when we go away for a couple weeks.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Got a 45l and 70l tank. Bought the 70l with 2 angel fish and a few goldfish. Need to get rid of the goldfish but nobody seems to want them

adamdodsworth

Got a few tanks set up at the moment including a 5ft cichlid tank, 4ft community tank and a 3ft Musk Turtle tank! Not actually got many pictures of them though. As others have said, I've always fancied a marine set up but don't really have the time or money needed!

Turtle!
978031_10152819093650389_517373204_o.jpg

Community Tank
1383222904159.jpg

Cichlid Tank.
1396684297223.jpg

Quick video of above tank.

Last edited:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Do you not have somebody with a pond that would take them?
Got a few tanks set up at the moment including a 5ft cichlid tank, 4ft community tank and a 3ft Musk Turtle tank! Not actually got many pictures of them though. As others have said, I've always fancied a marine set up but don't really have the time or money needed!

Turtle!
View attachment 508879

Community Tank
View attachment 508880

Cichlid Tank.
View attachment 508881

Quick video of above tank.
Love the turtle :D

That Malawi set-up is very similar to my old one. In my ignorance I actually had a few Tangs in there aswell, but this was late 90's/ early 2000's and info on these fish was very thin on the ground at the time and my understanding back then was that it was ok to mix the two lakes. I was lucky mind you as I didn't have any problems with any of the fish.

Here it is, same aquarium as your own I think.....

photo hosting sites

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Used to have a great tank, 4ft long. Had a load of beautiful fish who had grown from very small to 4-5 inches.

Went on holiday, fuse blew on heater... Massacre awaited me on my return. Only survivors were a silver dollar and an angelfish although the angel was never right afterwards and died within 6 months.

Getting a tank in a few weeks again, not wanted by a family member.

Any tips on where to buy accessories online? I always fancied those sort of 3d rocky backgrounds that sit inside on the rear of the tank, rather than just the plastic backgrounds that you stick on the back.

Looking forward to getting back into it.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
When it comes to 3D backgrounds, try aqua-maniac online, I researched into those a lot as was very tempted, their rock backgrounds look amazing! Only thing that put me off was taking depth from the tank(if it had been 2ft deep I wouldn't have cared) and matching the aquarium rocks(I wanted limestone specifically for its leeching properties, raising PH etc.).

I've got two lower power heaters for my 6ft as a bit of a safeguard, I think if one was to develop a fault it wouldn't be powerful enough on its own to raise the temp to disaster levels.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
This is the tank I'm getting.

Very dull at the minute, the reason I'm getting it is because the current owner has lost interest.

1410118707829.jpg

Only 2 inhabitants presently I think, a big silver dollar and a pleco. (Nemo doesn't count).

adamdodsworth

Do you not have somebody with a pond that would take them?

Love the turtle :D

That Malawi set-up is very similar to my old one. In my ignorance I actually had a few Tangs in there aswell, but this was late 90's/ early 2000's and info on these fish was very thin on the ground at the time and my understanding back then was that it was ok to mix the two lakes. I was lucky mind you as I didn't have any problems with any of the fish.

Here it is, same aquarium as your own I think.....

photo hosting sites
Yes, the turtle does get quite a bit of attention!

Tank looks similar but the cabinet is slightly different. Lovely looking set up though!

Did you have a problem with them just breeding constantly?!

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Will be nice to see the transformation once you get hold of that tank DrPhil :)

Yes, the turtle does get quite a bit of attention!

Tank looks similar but the cabinet is slightly different. Lovely looking set up though!

Did you have a problem with them just breeding constantly?!
Yes and no, there were fry everywhere, but 95% became snacks for the other fish! not many survived to maturity(a few made it). I remember even the external filter used to have fry inside.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
This is the tank I'm getting.

Very dull at the minute, the reason I'm getting it is because the current owner has lost interest.

View attachment 509007

Only 2 inhabitants presently I think, a big silver dollar and a pleco. (Nemo doesn't count).
Mine looked similar with a similar story

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
You can make your own for a fraction of the cost, plenty of guides online if you fancy having a go.

I was really tempted but couldn't be bothered with several weeks of an empty aquarium waiting for the concrete to leech, on top of the standard couple weeks cycling.

I just want to get some fish in there, I hate this part.

Ouch, upwards of £80.

Back to the drawing board I reckon!

Delvey

Distinguished Member
uploadfromtaptalk1410200079289.jpg

45 litre tank