Question AptX HD Bluetooth transmitter - does it require headphone amplifier ?

alkif

Novice Member
Hi,

I have a Cambridge Audio 851n and an 851w. I would like to be able to stream from it to a pair of wireless headphones with the aptX HD codec. I have seen several aptX HD Bluetooth transmitter devices on Amazon but I cannot understand if I can connect them directly to the 851n or the 851w or if I should also buy a headphone amplifier to put between Bluetooth transmitter and preamp (851n) or amp (851w).

Many thanks.

larkone

You just need the transmitter connected to an output on your preamp - a headphone amp will not add anything to the equation other than cost.

dannnielll

Hi. Larkone is correct. Any Bluetooth transmitter should be connected to the 851N. and ignore the power amplifier .By preference you should use a transmitter with a coaxial SPDIF, or an optical fibre SPDIF. You may possibly explore more of the 851N manual.. there is reference to bluetooth, but whether it is just a reciever or can also transmit is unclear.
It is highly unlikely, irrespective of the quality of any wireless phones you use, that the sound quality will exceed what you gave at present.

alkif

Novice Member
I thought that the preamp output was not enough to drive the headphones, even low Ohm ones (e.g. 30-50).

alkif

Novice Member
Thank you dannnielll,
My main aim is to transmit the signal from 851n or 851w to Bluetooth headphones at aptX HD quality. I would not be using any phones.

dannnielll

Are we talking at cross purposes?. My understanding is that you want to use a Bluetooth module in order to drive wireless headphones. If that is the case, the wireless headphones contain a Bluetooth receiver , a battery, a DAC, an amplifer and the headphone transducers all matched together.
And the DAC and amplifier will be inferior to thise in the 851N

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom