1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APTUS1 - RGB to Component

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mavice, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just bought a Keene APtus 1 converter to convert Sky digibox scart output to component for my SP4805

all I can say is....wish I'd done it 6 months ago. :clap:

no picture shimmer, higher contrast, better colours, more solid pic.....well, pretty much everything better really.

And I thought It looked 'OK' before :rolleyes:

thanks to Gary666 for his recent recommendation to get a converter....that was the clincher to me making the decision.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    im getting a Sky+ box on saturday (new installation), i thought they might have component outputs on? or is yours the normal sky box and it only has scart?.....i'm not too worried if its scart, i should be able to get scart-svideo into my amp, then upconvert to component in the amp (Denon 3803), hopefully i will have nice picture from the off on my PJ.....lol

glad u got yours sorted tho, nothing worse than not getting what you paid for...lol

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No component on Sky+ either, just scart RGB & s-video.

Upconverting from s-video to component may make switching/cabling easier but won't be any better, PQ wise.

Hence the RGB - component converter :) .

:smoke:

4. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    hi there i have a sp7205 sky + is connected with a js technology rgb to component converter picture is superb a lot better than s video

5. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    ...so what are these convertors doing that 'up' conversion in an AV amp doesn't do?

(Am interested as I have an NTL box, the pic signal of which gets to my projector via my Sony RDR-HX510 component out. I was a bit disappointed with the pic but found out that the component out on the Sony is 'interlaced only' with video material. I also have a Denon 2805 which would up-convert to component).

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    They're converting a signal of similar grade (RGBS) to comonent (YUV) whereas almost all amps (except the very highest grade taking in digital eg. SDI or HDMI) will simply upconvert the S-Video or Composite input to Component, which will never be as good quality as a conversion from RGB to YUV.

7. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Makes me wonder what my RDR-HX510 does in passing the RGB signal to the component out. Sounds like even if I bought a convertor, it wouldn't add anything to the picture quality that I'm not already getting.

8. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    just to clarify and hopefully answer any questions above

I have connected Panasonic Sky (non +) box scart (RGB) output to the APTUS 1 converter which converts to Component YUV. (red green blue phono)

This then goes into Denon AV amp 3805 which switches to my PJ, still in component YUV

the amp also switches composite (yellow phono) and svideo but these are inferior quality, even after the amp as up converted to component before the 10m run to the PJ.

RGB and component seem to be similar (best ) quality and so by converting the SKY scart RGB output to component wrings the max video quality out the sky box possible. Previously it was connected via composite (achieved with an argos adapter which plugs into the sky box scart and gives svideo and composite (yellow phono) output then into the amp which up converted to component.

composite did seem to give best pic for me (better than svideo which had terrible shimmer - but I sdid have a pretty crap cable) but composite still had low contrast, slight blur, and shimmer on yellow objects. - not obvious until I got the converter :smashin:

so, in short, for best pic quality from any sky box to PJ, use the rgb scart output and either

1. connect through a converter in component YUV. - hi spec amps will switch this too. - My Denon 3805 does :thumbsup:

2. not sure about this but you should be able to connect direct in RGB (no converter required) if your PJ accepts RGB which most do, but you will require a cable to change the SCART to whatever RGB input your PJ uses - normally VGA D-type plug PC input.

I am not sure that my amp would switch an RGB signal so I did not go this route. :rolleyes:

hope that helps......clear as MMUD

oh...the keene converter cost about £80 delivered and came next day...compared to the JS units which are £120 ish - thats why I went for the Keene - the pic quaility seems very good and I am happy with it at the mo..

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    We've designed the converters using discrete parts because we found we could get better performance, and therefore better picture quality, than what was available with integrated solutions. It is a more complex process, but does have it's rewards.

Component and RGB are very similar in picture terms, but when you're converting you've got to ensure that you've got sufficient bandwidth to keep picture detail. That's where our design excels.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

10. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just bought one of these too... was in Sevenoaks and they had one on a plasma dishing up Sky.. its the end of the month so thought what the heck and bought one. Have had quick go on Freeview box and seems pretty good on my SP4805... need to redo the cals though and save under different user setting... but looks good so far!

The good thing about the Keene box is that it has an Audio out socket as well. The QED one does not and my Freeview box has no separate audio out, so the Keene one it was.

Seveoaks also had the new Quad small speaker set... was tempted for a demo... but escaped with wallet intact :eek: ;)

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You're making the right move by using the correct signals, but if you want the best then you've got to buy the best converter. We've had other customers using the CYP (which QED rebrand) and it doesn't give as clear of as detailed picture as my design. That's the real difference with my products, I'm a A/V user myself so know what's important - picture quality.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

12. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You can buy a lead with RGB scart one end and component the other, ie converting without the need for an £80 box. As this is a huge cost saving I presume PQ is not as good?? I was going to try this for my sky+ box to PJ. Any comments?

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Erm, no. If you're going to use component video (YUV / YPbPr), you need to converter the SCART output (RGB - Red, Green, Blue). It's not a simple case of changing just the connectors, it's a case that you need to change the video signals. To do that, correctly, you need to be very careful. And that's where my designs work best - converting but keeping picture detail.

Many projectors may not take RGB so you need to convert to component, or even to S-Video. Even when a screen can take RGB, it may not be the best input for that particular screen. You may find that converting to component gives a better picture than RGB, as you find with Hitachi screens.

But sometimes you don't need to convert at all. RGB via SCART on a Panasonic screen isn't too great, but put it via the VGA socket using one of my other products and it really does bring the screen to life.

So, get the right signal for your screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Symanski.

A sort of related question.
    I tend to get a fair bit of DC offset from the RGB scart output on the SKY+ box which is very noticable on my projector picture, I wonder if converting from RGB Scart to Y Pb Pr using one of your excellent products might be just the thing instead of playig with handfuls of diodes or caps in the Scart plug?

Curious and very interested in your answer.

15. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    On the final output the DC is removed in the converter, using high value capacitors. The actual conversion process is very accurate, and has a wide bandwidth to maintain picture quality before it's passed to this output section. The problem with adding capacitors just to the SCART output, as your thinking of trying, would be that they'd have to be very large. If you put in the same value as is typical for a video output, you'd actually be halfing the value of the output, which could cause the picture to jump. Diodes wouldn't really help here either.

So yes, it would effectively reset the DC levels for you.

As a side note, some systems are using low value capacitors which means the picture varies quickly about zero, too quickly for the display. Cost cutting which means that you can lose picture. We prefer to use larger capacitors for this reason.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

16. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Ahhh...it's always best to keep the signal in its original form...if the projector can take 15kHz scan rate at it's D-SUB VGA port like most Hitachis seem to do, it's just a simple matter of getting a properly wired SCART-VGA cable...PJ's specs should list the scan rates that are accepted...

17. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Note necessarily always the case. It's best to use the signal that your screen works best with, and if you need to convert then pick the best converter.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ta.
    "Just what the doctor ordered":D

For info 220uF 10V caps or 1N4148 diodes (as many as needed) and a lot of trial and error can get a result (and a lot of cursing/burnt fingers etc....). Now off to find my order pad....

19. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Heres the crunch question....

Does the JS converter produce a better picture than the Keene one at £40 more cost?

Anim

20. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Our converter is considered to be the best on the market. I designed the converter using discrete components as this allowed for a higher bandwidth than the available single chip converters. A larger bandwidth allows us to keep the picture detail through the converter, and this translates to a better picture quality through our converter than those based up on those band-limited chips.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

21. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds good to me John. So am I right assuming the Keene converter is a single chip version then?

Anim

22. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Keene is £80 whereas JS is £145 on their website... afraid that was just too steep for me... maybe if I was using it all the time.. but my excursions to Freeview on PJ won't be very often.

23. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    We're the only ones who recognised the need to use discrete components to get that larger bandwidth. The single chips solutions looked to give a comparible bandwidth to the S-Video, but component should be better than S-Video. Therefore, my design has a larger bandwidth to give more detail and better colour fields.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.