Quantcast

April 2019 Winner - Contrast

AMc

Distinguished Member
Had a little trip to Amsterdam this tunnel next to Central Station connects you to the ferries. The white side is for pedestrians, the dark side for cyclists. If you’re brave and quick you can split the scene.

I’ve not been near a computer so this has just been imported over WiFi and tweaked in Olympus Image Palette in my phone.
I’m sure I can do more in Lightroom but this will do for now or it won’t be entered in time. :)

592531DA-EFF4-47A7-93C8-87240DF88C52.jpeg

Last edited:

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Love it :cool:

Marika

Must be my favourite for the theme this month :)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Great pic.

AMc

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the kind words and the votes everyone. So pleased to have won this month. :thumbsup:

Looking at the image on my big screen at home there's quite a lot "wrong" with the image. A very challenging lighting situation. Editing a reduced size JPG on the phone hasn't helped much either. I'll bring it into lightroom and work on it to see what can be done.
It does go to show it's not all about super sharpness and dynamic range :)

We'd walked through that tunnel a couple of times already and it just jumped out on me that if I lined up on the edge it would split perfectly. It was just grabbed, you can see my partner disappearing off into the distance so I didn't have much time to check settings etc. just get the camera lined up as best I could and fire a couple of shots.
If I were back there now I think I'd take a few moments and use the flash to help light the people or expose for the end of the tunnel to get them more silhouetted. You're never going to get a bracketed shot there as there were people and bikes at all hours. I wish I'd taken a few at night with the camera super low too but you take your life in your hands with Amsterdam's pedestrians and cyclists :eek:

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Possibly a bit counter-intuative but have you had a look at this as a high contrast mono?

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
"Blunt" as in "Not Sharp" ? :D

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
I did try that on the OI Palette app but as the camera transfer had already reduced the image size it was very blunt and I didn't like it at all.
I hope to get some time later this week to play with it :)
......looks quite good to me ;)