Apps much brighter on BT Pro box than tv inbuilt ones

Drdense

Has anyone else noticed that apps such as Amazon Prime or Netflix are much brighter on another device, I have the BT TV Pro box and have noticed it.

Normally I wouldn't care and would use the box instead but unfortunately the BT box only has standard HDR (no dolby vision or HDR10+) and also seems to take an age to actually get up to 4k resolution.

I read in a different forum that sometimes external devices have a better 4k picture than the tvs apps, could this be what they were referring to? And if so, could/would Philips do anything about it?

Forgot to add, I have the 65OLED936 on the newest android 11 firmware.

Last edited:

HAM5ter84

Has anyone else noticed that apps such as Amazon Prime or Netflix are much brighter on another device, I have the BT TV Pro box and have noticed it.

Normally I wouldn't care and would use the box instead but unfortunately the BT box only has standard HDR (no dolby vision or HDR10+) and also seems to take an age to actually get up to 4k resolution.

I read in a different forum that sometimes external devices have a better 4k picture than the tvs apps, could this be what they were referring to? And if so, could/would Philips do anything about it?

It is related to the fact that the box just has to worry about a small os for itself and give more memory to the apps etc, plus just gives over processing to the TV. Tuners will have some impact as it give different picture , softer / brighter / sharper.

TV have to give mem to the OS for all TV ops, processing , plus the apps and use different drivers etc. So, will give a different result to external, that just have to throw up the image etc.

Also depends how you have set up the picture settings for the internal apps as like external feeds you can tweak the colour settings for these.

Drdense

Following on from the above, it appears to be everything on the box is brighter than any built in apps on the TV.

Maybe the tv treats HDMI ports differently than apps on the TV?
It is related to the fact that the box just has to worry about a small os for itself and give more memory to the apps etc, plus just gives over processing to the TV. Tuners will have some impact as it give different picture , softer / brighter / sharper.

TV have to give mem to the OS for all TV ops, processing , plus the apps and use different drivers etc. So, will give a different result to external, that just have to throw up the image etc.

Also depends how you have set up the picture settings for the internal apps as like external feeds you can tweak the colour settings for these.
Settings are the same across all inputs.

I could understand your reasoning if it were processing (noise reduction, motion, scaling etc) but I'm talking about something as simple as top level brightness.

I think I'll be mentioning it to Philips when they come back to me with the other ongoing issues I have

simon194

I find they are pretty much the same on my 806 when compared to my ATV 4K box apart for iPlayer HLG content which is "retina burning" bright with the same settings as my Sky box. It took me ages to sort it out because the iPlayer app crashes out rather than pausing when you open the settings menu.

HAM5ter84

I find they are pretty much the same on my 806 when compared to my ATV 4K box apart for iPlayer HLG content which is "retina burning" bright with the same settings as my Sky box. It took me ages to sort it out because the iPlayer app crashes out rather than pausing when you open the settings menu.
Yep, right pain in arse iPlayer haven't sorted out the pause option like the other apps, so you can set things. Have to do the YouTube HLG HDR trick to set.

HAM5ter84

Following on from the above, it appears to be everything on the box is brighter than any built in apps on the TV.

Maybe the tv treats HDMI ports differently than apps on the TV?

Settings are the same across all inputs.

I could understand your reasoning if it were processing (noise reduction, motion, scaling etc) but I'm talking about something as simple as top level brightness.

I think I'll be mentioning it to Philips when they come back to me with the other ongoing issues I have
Worth a mention in case something is going on that raises brightness. It's there any bt box settings that alter colour. Like some Sony blu ray players have light, dark room settings etc.

Drdense

Worth a mention in case something is going on that raises brightness. It's there any bt box settings that alter colour. Like some Sony blu ray players have light, dark room settings etc.
No, there are very little in the way of video options in the box settings menu at all.

HAM5ter84

No, there are very little in the way of video options in the box settings menu at all.
Hmm strange must be handling it differently than as you say. I know it's been known that internal apps can be slower etc and have differences due to the TV having to wear 3 hats to other external one or two. So, hence the colour diff thought.

Drdense

Having just spoken to philips they have informed me that the reason for the tv apps being less bright than external devices, they have implemented this on purpose as a burn in prevention setting. I asked if they were planning on adding in an option to over ride this but they said that they are not. So if you want better app pictures you are going to have to use an external device.

HAM5ter84

Having just spoken to philips they have informed me that the reason for the tv apps being less bright than external devices, they have implemented this on purpose as a burn in prevention setting. I asked if they were planning on adding in an option to over ride this but they said that they are not. So if you want better app pictures you are going to have to use an external device.
That seems to be standard across OLED not just Philips. Reading across forums, it is to auto brightness algorithm. Guessing on external devices they have less control than inbuilt apps. So, seems whilst annoying a known OLED thing.

Drdense

I'm still going to add it as part of my list of issues. There should be an option to disable it as the apps look so much better on my BT box, but unfortunately the box doesn't have the advanced HDR options just the standard HDR10 meaning I'm forced to use the tv apps. Same problem with my ps5.

HAM5ter84

I'm still going to add it as part of my list of issues. There should be an option to disable it as the apps look so much better on my BT box, but unfortunately the box doesn't have the advanced HDR options just the standard HDR10 meaning I'm forced to use the tv apps. Same problem with my ps5.
I think the PS5 has issues of its own around getting things like VRR sorted late out the gate. I guess it's worth mentioning, but not being a OLED owner myself. It does seem pretty much industry standard the auto brightness limiting and put there to save the longevity of the screen. If they allowed you to turn it off any burn in or other issues then they would have customers moaning why they allowed the option. If it was a risk of damage. But, other OLED owners could confirm that is why it is there.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom