Apps/games updating in the background?

STANNY08

Does this actually work for anyone?

I ask because I have had to sit through loads of updates, to every app and every game. I can confidently say that not one app/game update has occurred in the background or while the console is off.

I was under the impression that these would occur in the background without us really knowing about it.

I've just contacted Xbox support on Twitter, and he is telling me that it is up to devs to update apps in the background. Which would mean this is affecting everyone, yet I'm certain I've read that others on here aren't having this problem.

So please, help me out.

STANNY08

Xbox support is telling me that the auto update feature only applies to the system updates and not app and game updates. Meaning those have to be applied manually.

Det

Distinguished Member
Xbox support is telling me that the auto update feature only applies to the system updates and not app and game updates. Meaning those have to be applied manually.
Either way, it's pretty freakin stupid and needs to be fixed asap.

STANNY08

Despite what that support agent told me, I've been asked a million questions as tho it isn't working correctly, and have been told to turn the auto downloads option off then power cycle the console, then turn the option on again. I've done that and doubt it will help.

I read somewhere that it's a problem with wired connections, so if it still isn't fixed I'll try on wireless although I would rather be on wired.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Mine updates in the background for games and apps and also the latest console update.
Turned it on yesterday and it loaded straight away and was getting notifications of favourites coming online.

Mine is hard wired and not had any issues.

turk3y

Not had to do any game updates so far bar day one patches on launch, been updating the games perfectly well.

Hard wired also.

Not sure but double check there is not a setting that is stopping it.

STANNY08

Ive checked settings over and over, ive power cycled the machine god knows how many times. Ive checked router settings too but cant find anything there that might prevent it.

One thing i have noticed is that the relevant ethernet number light on the router goes red when the console is in standby. Dont know what this means and im waiting for sky to get back to me on it, but its different to the other devices that are wired to the router. My tv doesnt use the connection when in standby so the light on the router for that goes off. When the sky box goes into standby the light stays lit green, using the connection.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom