Apply for job via agency or directly with the recruiting company?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by devlee, Mar 6, 2013.

1. devlee

devlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to find a new job and have posted my CV on a couple job search sites.

An job agent phoned me and informed me about a great job that matches my skill set. They told me the recruiting company 's name.

Doing some research, I find that not only other job agencies are advertising the same position, but also the recruiting company.

Now, for a better chance of getting an interview and the job, shall I apply directly with the recruiting company or apply via the job agency?

Thanks

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,880
    Apply directly if the company will let you - some don't preferring to only deal with recruiting companies.

Unusual for an agent to tell you the name as they don't like you going directly so perhaps this company isn't taking direct applications.

Give the HR department a call to check first.

The reason I say direct if possible is that it saves the employer a hell of a lot of money - typically 25% of the salary they take you on at.

So if it comes down to a close call between a direct and an agency applicant then the direct guy must be favourite.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I'm in the same position looking for a new job. If a recruiter presents me with a company, I think it's only fair I go through them. Also they often have a little inside knowledge about the interview stages and content which I've found can be helpful.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  4. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    if the agency provide the name of the company that would indicate they have put your cv forward to that company if you then apply directly to the same company in the same time period company will have no option other than to bin your cv same applies if you cv is sent to same company by 2 different agencies as it has the potential to end up messy with their legal dept

5. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,417
    If you have the option of going direct to the company then do so. Agencies can be real pains to deal with and you could end up being employed by the agency rather than the company. If this happens you could find yourself on a poorer short term contract and earning less as the agency will take their cut.

6. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I agree with you if you lookup companys that you are interested in working for and then apply directly to them, however if you have contacted an agency and they have mentioned the name of the company you should stick with the agency if they are planning to submit your cv, if you go down the route of submitting your cv to an agency , agency then calls you to discuss job prior to cv submission then you try to bypass the agency and contact the company direct doesn't give the company a good impression of you as you have enter in to contract with that agency in the same way the company has a seperate contract with the agency

7. devlee

devlee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The agency has now confirmed that they are on the PSL for the client; and I was happy for the agency to represent me for the position.

But I've just had a call from the agent - and he now says on reviewing my CV - that I dont have the exact skill set required by the client - and so they won't be putting forward me for the job.

Which is fine - but I guess there is no harm in me now applying directly to the client and let them decide if I'm the right person for the position, rather than an agent who has no clue.

Guess this works out better for me now.

Thanks for all your comments and advice.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013