Applications Folder gone ??!!

RecordablDVDfan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is a strange one. I have a mac mini with Tiger on the main hard drive and Leopard on an external SATA drive connected via USB...Recently I notice that the apps folder in Tiger has gone so all the progs also. I've tried a prog called Filesalvage 6.1 to try to retrive it but this did'nt work, just gave a load a other misc folders

Any ideas anyone, is there a better 'undelete' prog for OSX I can try ?

TIA :confused:

Sure you've deleted it? Maybe you moved it somewhere by mistake.

Search for something like DVD Player and see if Spotlight can find it.

Time Machine would be a life saver here.

Could be a hard drive malfunction, try Disk Utility, if your getting errors then its serious, if ok, then a system glitch, backup before you lose anything else.

What happens when you try an launch an item from the Dock? Does it run, or is the Dock displaying question marks for all the icons? I'm just wondering if it's invisible rather than removed. Invisibility may simply be that the invisible Finder flag has been set on the folder, or that permissions may have been set to "no access" for the owner, group, and everyone users, which I *think* would make it invisible to you when logged in.

I second the suggestion to run Disk Utility and verfiy/repair permissions and the disk and see if it picks up any problems.

What happens when you try an launch an item from the Dock? Does it run, or is the Dock displaying question marks for all the icons? I'm just wondering if it's invisible rather than removed. Invisibility may simply be that the invisible Finder flag has been set on the folder, or that permissions may have been set to "no access" for the owner, group, and everyone users, which I *think* would make it invisible to you when logged in.

I second the suggestion to run Disk Utility and verfiy/repair permissions and the disk and see if it picks up any problems.

No no I get the question mark, and yes I did the repair permisions thng, it has definatly gone that's for sure, looks like some corruption of the main hdd, I use Leopard 100% now anyway

Have you renamed your home folder recently? That's the usual cause of a mass disappearance of this sort. Not sure if it would affect the Apps folder though, unless you'd set it up so that the apps were only available for you to use, and you were the only user.
Have you tried logging on as Root to see if they are available on that account?

Yes logged in as root still not there, anyway when I get round to it I will try the pacifist prog

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom