• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AppleTV V1 user seeks Mac compatible alternative

Parris

Standard Member
I am currently using 3 x Apple TV (Version 1) units (they are in different locations geographically) and I am looking for a cheaper, HDMI ported alternative, which is Mac format compatible.

All 3 units have been hacked to accept external HDD units and I have stored my film collection on an HDD that travels from 1 location to the next depending on where I happen to be.

I'd like to get rid of the Apple TVs and perhaps go for something like a SumVision Cyclone, which only costs £18.99, but it's only FAT32 compatible and I need a unit that accepts Mac formatted HDD. I want to maintain my collection via an iMac / Macbook Pro, so I need it to be Mac format HDD.

Has anyone stumbled upon anything that might fit the bill?

I realise I could have 2 x HDD or even reformat the HDD and have it as FAT32 or NTFS, but frankly I don't want to. I would prefer to keep it the way it is.

Thanks in advance!

next010

Distinguished Member
WDTV Live, Lacie LaCinema and Boxee Box all support HFS+ (non-journaled).

You wont find support for Mac filesystem in many players, it's not that common I'm afraid.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Maybe easier to look at DLNA certified media players and use DLNA to access the media stored in a centralised location? You could keep the files on a Mac formatted HD connected to a Mac and still access them over a LAN via DLNA or you can store the files on a NAS that both your Mac or Macs can access as well as any DLNA certified devices.

next010

Distinguished Member
He's on the movie though so DLNA isnt really that viable. There is a USB device which could work via DLNA the Segate GoFlex Satellite but it's not worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom