AppleTV 4K music atmos down mix to Dolby 5.1?

instigator

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Will AppleTV 4K music in atmos down mix to Dolby 5.1?

in theory it should?

my atmos blu rays sound great in Dolby 5.1

don‘t feel like buying an Apple TV 4K unless I’m sure it works as I only have a normal HD tv and have no intention of getting a 4K tv ever…

but would like to stream lossless audio on appletv but the normal HD appletv doesn’t even do lossless Apple Music.

also, isn’t the apple spatial audio stuff basically like using your appletv to stream music and pressing the Dolby music 5.1 setting?

although I do understand some songs are actually mixed in atmos isn’t a lot of this stuff automated?

thanks!

Your Atmos Blu-rays only play back in 5.1 because they also have a 5.1 audio track on the disc which is totally separate to the Atmos track.

I have Apple TV 4K connected to LG OLED by HDMI then audio back from TV to older receiver via optical. Atmos tracks on Apple Music work perfectly in 5.1 and often sound great.

Will AppleTV 4K music in atmos down mix to Dolby 5.1?

in theory it should?

my atmos blu rays sound great in Dolby 5.1

don‘t feel like buying an Apple TV 4K unless I’m sure it works as I only have a normal HD tv and have no intention of getting a 4K tv ever…

but would like to stream lossless audio on appletv but the normal HD appletv doesn’t even do lossless Apple Music.

also, isn’t the apple spatial audio stuff basically like using your appletv to stream music and pressing the Dolby music 5.1 setting?

although I do understand some songs are actually mixed in atmos isn’t a lot of this stuff automated?

thanks!
Yes with ATV4K, if you play an Atmos track, it will work with only 5.1.
This works absolutely fine for me, as I have no Atmos setup myself.
if you have no intention of buying a 4k tv, then could you not save your money from buying an ATV4K, and just airplay audio from an iphone / ipad to an AVR?

"isn’t the apple spatial audio stuff basically like using your appletv to stream music and pressing the Dolby music 5.1 setting?" Yup it is very similar. I would not get too excited about the Atmos side of things if you are only sticking with 5.1.

"although I do understand some songs are actually mixed in atmos isn’t a lot of this stuff automated?" yes it is mostly automated as 99% of producers/albums will mix in stereo!

No - if I understand you correctly, you’re asking about using Pro Logic II music - which is an algorithm to derive surround information from 2 channel stereo material. All the spatial audio stuff I’ve listened to on Apple is discrete 5.1 (it would be full atmos if I had a capable receiver and speakers) - the music has been remixed to take advantage of the extra channels available, with instruments/voices/reverb etc panned to individual channels.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom