AppleTV 4 delayed until 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's just great. I can tell you exactly when it will be released: 15 days after I buy another ATV3. I'll almost guarantee it. :)

I just wish they would add the current UK catchup services to the Apple TV 3.

Well that's just great. I can tell you exactly when it will be released: 15 days after I buy another ATV3. I'll almost guarantee it. :)

Can you buy now so we can all get ATV4 :)

Any rumours of what a new Apple TV 4 will be able to do over and above the Apple TV 3?

I've loved my ATV2 and used it all of the time... Works perfectly but I do love buying new things :)

I've sold both of my ATV3's now. Fed up with them not having catch up TV and being able to run Plex properly.

NOW TV from Sky has just been added with lots of content and on demand.

NOW TV movies from my ATV have more detail in them than on my Youview box.

You can download/stream BBC content to it via Airplay.

I'd like to see 24P playback in the next gen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't watched the Apple event but I'm guessing there was nothing Apple TV related then :(

Correct.

New Mac Mini with Haswell though and £100 cheaper.

The way the ATV works for me personally, is purely an Airplay reciverd evice for things like you tube, (which i watch alot of channels from on there), bbc iplayer stuff, and as a way to stream my movies from my plex library, to my iphone, ipad then airplay to one of my ATV's.
i dont use any of the pre loaded apps on it, i dont use netflix, and TBH not even sure what else is on it!!
I also use it for music via itunes match, which works great as its all in the cloud, getting streamed to my amp.
To be able to control it via iwatch, sounds like a nice thing to me.
I dont really see what else they could put on it, EXCEPT , built in all uk channel iplayer things,.
As ITV player, has to be mirrord from ipad, (bbc iplayer is by far the best to use to airplay), 4od, errrm, never used it , 5 on demand, i dont think works, only the sound?(plus 5 is poo anyway).

As far as an Airplay tool, its got to be the best, ( the only one anyway?).
I havent used the google one, Chromecast, but, it hink its tied to google chrome stuff, and just you tube, not sure if it has a dedicated icon, like bbc iplayer.
but my fave is having my Plex library on the ipad(via imac), then airplay that, works so well.
I think maybe they could make the ATV4 small , like the chromecast, ( i have mine tucked out of sight anyway), the different countrys, regions, make it too wide for everyone to like.
Why a UK one have Baseball? it just dosent work . you cant please everyone, so make the Airplay even sweeter, and let us choose what we want on it, but then thats down to people like BBC, and itv etc, but ITV, ch4, ch5, just havent put the care into it, like BBC, if they di, and we could use it, then sweet, BUT, they have adverts too,mind you alot of you tube channels are sponsored now....

My Apple TV is used purely for Netflix. Occasionally to show off photos from iPad/iPhone via mirroring.
I don't use any of the other apps that it has.

Not sure what they could bring out with an ATV4 above what I need it for. Perhaps HD audio from Netflix?

I'd love the new Apple TV to be the device I use to watch and television program through. Either live or catch up. A one stop shop for tv and films. Slick user interface with maybe optional USB external HDD for PVR capability. Everything could work through live streams. The pain would obviously be them agreeing with each broadcaster.

Television UI is still rather outdated and it is only really Sky that have bothered with any kind of development.

Microsoft are just about to release a digital TV add-on to the Xbox One which may well do the above (minus the PVR) but this is where I could see Apple innovating.

I think it may go down the Airplay display sort of route, as well as another itunes cash maker, .
Apple have never been keen on USB on devices, and only through apps or JB to use an Apple device without using itunes.
It does feel like now though they are changing slightly, with apps like infuse, and plex being able to be used.
Im not sure if being able to record programs, would be needed if its all available via catchup anyway.
IF there was a thing, that would be like the BBC iplayer menu's with virtually all channels on, or you could subscribe to what channels you wanted to be part of, thatd be cool, but again, the broadcaster would like you to watch at THEIR convenience, to make sure youre there to catch all the adverts etc..
I think it might go down the Chromecast sort of route, like a SafariCast.
Who knows, they might not even bother...
I do like the ATV though, and for what i use it foir, it works so well, streamed music, films via Plex, and Airplay you tube stuff and catch up tv...if i could get a watch to use as a remote....

Some interesting rumours here:
Apple readies first significant Apple Watch updates, ’TVKit’ SDK for Apple TV | 9to5Mac

Apple plans to market the current Apple Watch as a primary input device for the next-generation Apple TV, in addition to the “fancier” remote control that will be bundled with the new device, according to sources. In line with earlier reports, our sources indicate that the new Apple TV box will be unveiled in June with deep Siri integration and third-party application support. Our sources add that a new version of Xcode, known as “MuirTrail” internally, includes a new feature called “TVKit” for developers to build third-party Apple TV apps.

As expected, the new box will also integrate with Apple’s upcoming “Live TV” cable-replacement service, but it appears that the service will launch after the hardware. Current next-generation prototype Apple TVs are still loaded up with cable subscription-dependent apps, according to a source. Sources who have used internal next-generation Apple TV development units say that prototypes are about “twice as large” as the current Apple TV box, but the shipping product is expected to be slimmer than the current puck-like version. Internally, the new Apple TV hardware is said to be codenamed “J34,” and the operating system is known as “MonarchTide.”

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Rumours that this will be announced at wwdc early June.

I really only use my ATV3 for Netflix and AirPlay. There will have to be some major new features to get me to upgrade.

Rumour is that it will come with an App Store so will eventually have more streaming channels. E.g. BT sport, I player, etc along with games.

I tend to use my Xbox One for most of my media streaming and whatnot. The Apple TV is just used for AirPlay listening to music and watching content purchased from iTunes. Not sure what they've got planned but I'm enjoying having the rest going through my Xbox so I'll be interested to see what they have to convince me to buy.

Looks like it won't be coming to wwdc after all.

Disappointed if this is the case. Suppose it's not Apples fault as they never officially announced it would be at WWDC a.

And there was no mention. Not quite sure what the "epicenter of change" actually was/is now...

As the Apple Music debacle showed, it's all about getting the licensing of the content right. In the UK, we are used to sparse content, but in the U.S. it would be crazy to launch a new Apple TV without some more content to go with it. Think of Apple's version of Netflix.

They could launch a box capable of 4K any time, but they need content to go with it.

Obviously the next step for ATV is going to be based on what they can achieve in the US - just a shame as they could have moved a lot quicker in the UK market. Just look at what Roku has been able to achieve thus far - A near perfect range of catch up applications.

I've given up waiting for it. I used my ATV3 since it came out, even hacked it so I could use Plex and it was great. I wanted a 4 before I even seen it ..... but now I bought an Amazon Firestick and hacked that and it does everything i wanted the ATV to do and more. The ATV4 is going to have to be amazing but if it doesn't come out this year Apple will be on the pier when then boat vanishes over the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom