1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appleseed DVD DTS/DD tracks a mess?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mr Bump, May 13, 2005.

1. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've only fully checked the Japanese DTS track, but the two Dolby Digital tracks don't seem to be any better. Basically the center channel is way, way too low. At times, when the old guys were talking and it was mixing the voices from the left and right speakers to the center they sound like they are shouting on the right and then the volume drops right down as they move to the center. Also the gunfire suffers particularly badly - the scene where Briareos is firing on the three robots with the wires the gunfire sounds nice and meaty when mixed to the rear speakers, but flat and limp from the center. Also the rears sounded too high to me - not as badly out as the center is low, but still not right. Very, very odd - in 400 or so DVDs I've never come across anything quite as blatantly wrong - I had to quickly stick Kill Bill DTS on to reassure myself it wasn't anything wrong with my set up!! ;)

2. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sorry I don’t buy many DVD’s from Japan, the only disc I have got from Japan was Star Wars episode 1 THX laserdisc Dolby six-track with surround-EX nice, hate the sub titles…

But as to the problem I have a few region 2 DVD’s like Halloween 2 the Dolby 5.1 mix is so messed up I have to make adjustments to the front main, which goes into a Dolby pro-logic processor and I can down mix the phantom signal and send it to the centre channel along with the centre channel for the Dolby digital or dts, I wont go into deep technical details as I might lose you, that’s if I haven’t all ready lost you.

Sound’s like…

Electronic, Gremlins that’s what it is, god dame foreign DVD’s, I you sure it’s not a pirate copy, or it’s just a very poor rich mans attempt to do some re-record mixing at the back of his garage…

Also sound’s as if the phasing on the mix as been messed up, I have done a little bit of mixing using Cubase and phasing can be applied to a mix and in some films I have noticed some phasing techniques applied to films like Alien and it’s in a OK condition, as to the Japan versions use them for a table mat on your pc set-up, that’s all it’s fit for just like my version of Halloween 2.

http://www.jmgkorea.com/image/cinemasolution/4645c.gif

But hay…

….It’s only a movie…

Alfred Hitchcock.

3. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :rolleyes:

It's not a Region 2 Japanese title. It is the US Region 1 title and not only do the two Japanese soundtracks seem to suffer (DD and DTS), but the English track also.

http://www3.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=16749

I swerved the Japanese release, as it had no English subs. For the record though, I have many Japanese Region 2 DVDs and some of them have some of the best sound mixes I have heard - discs such as Azumi have superb DTS tracks.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    :offtopic:

Are you the same Mr Bump that's been on Gamefaq's forever?

5. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, that's me, for my sins....

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Shows that you've got a memorable name that I remember... ;)

7. Mr.Inzane

Mr.Inzane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone confirm if this has a full bitrate dts track?