Apples Front Row - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jon stallard, Mar 8, 2006.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my dual core intel mac mini today. One of the biggest 'can't wait to get home to try it' buzz's was to try out Front Row.

After a year or so of MCE, I was hoping for so much.

Lets just say that after the initial try, I thought it a bit agricultural, especially with iTunes. It made me realise how slick MCE actually is in the music department.

That said, the optical out to my Denon AV amp produced very good sound but then it usually does anyway (sorry, can't be more technical than 'very good' - I'd never make it as a WTF HiFi reviewer).

Has anyone that's been using front row got some neat tricks to share that they've learnt or is it really as basic as it seems? On the other hand of course, there's nothing wrong with simplicity in terms of just playing music but I do enjoy the visualisations rather than a stark black and white screen telling me who the track is by and on what album.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Jon.

2. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am in the process of getting a Mac Mini. On reading around it seems that when an iPod is connected to the Mac Front Row does not allow browsing of the iPod contents. Is this true?

I have all my music on my iPod (pushing 50Gb at this stage) and do not want to have to transfer all this to the Mac to be able to play the music through Front Row. Adding this many files to the Mini's HDD would take up a huge amount of its available space.

3. Kahuna

Kahuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    For a good music interface, try Coverflow. I love it. I don't use front row at all.

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Ger

Havent tried but I know one of the ipod docks makes a virtue of being able to navigate the ipod contents on a connected screen/plasma/etc ... I'll try and dig out a link

How about mediacentral as an interface instead of front row ?

Jon

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It's true. Front Row would work with whatever's in iTunes, and iTunes wont let you use your iPod as a library - it'll want to sync it's library to your iPod.

But if your main library (from which you populated the iPod) is on another machine that's on the same network as the mini, you'd be able to use playlist sharing to access the library through Front Row.

Cheers, Carl.