Apple Wireless Keyboard (Bluetooth) for PC ?

mholgate

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Apple's Wireless Keyboard works with a PC?

I'm running Windows-XP and would love to use this keyboard with my HTPC for its looks alone. All other wireless keyboards would look ugly and industrial looking in the Living Room, IMOH.

I know the Apple Pro Keyboard (USB version) works with a standard Windows driver, but what about this Bluetooth model, connected via a standard PC USB>Bluetooth device?

Thanks,

Marc.

I'm afraid that the Apple bluetooth keyboard only works on macs, since it uses the mac system preferences as its driver. This is the quote from the Apple site:

Important: Requires a Bluetooth enabled Macintosh either built-in or using the qualified D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter (Hardware version B2 or later. Older D-Link DWB-120M adapters are not supported). Mac OS X, v10.2.6 or higher required.

Yes, I saw that on the Apple site. However, it said almost the exact same thing regarding the USB Apple Pro Keyboard, but it has been proven to work on a PC. I've learnt to take these sorts of statements from Apple/Microsoft/etc. with a pinch of salt.

Is there anyone out there who can actually test it out for me on a PC, or is it perhaps a lost cause?

Marc

I think it would probably work. You'd probably get most of your money back on ebay if it didn't (or I might even buy it for my Mac! I just trail a long USB cable to the sofa at the moment)

I suspect the issues making other bluetooth adapters unsupported are associated with waking from sleep and the like. It probably works fine if your computer doesn't shut down the adapter then wake it up. They don't want to support all the complications on multiple adapters.

There is also the funny business it does (I don't know the details) to prevent the bluetooth from damaging wifi performance. That's definitely non standard.

I still think it will work.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Looks like the only thing to do now is get one and prey it works!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom