Apple Watch owners thread

From what I can hear to me it is not worth splashing nearly double the amount on a steel version. Especially since I assume that the average lifespan of an AW is about 5 years. It might be better investing on a slim AW cover (if one exists) instead.

How about in terms of deals? Are there any? Does AW come bundled with other Apple stuff such as headphones/laptops/phones/etc?
Indeed, and there are plenty of slim covers available.

AW doesn’t usually come bundled with anything else, you’d be best off keeping an eye on HUKD for any retailer offers, Very usually have new customer discount offers, or you could buy vouchers in the classifieds for your preferred retailer to save some cash.

Mrs got an AW3 for her birthday last year but we've never really had the time to fully explore all the features, is there a quick rundown of handy things to do with it or decent guides online?

She basically wears it as a fitbit, but only recently discovered you have to tell it you're going for a walk...Also wears it to track sleep as of a few weeks ago, once we figured out it doesn't do it natively!

Mrs got an AW3 for her birthday last year but we've never really had the time to fully explore all the features, is there a quick rundown of handy things to do with it or decent guides online?

She basically wears it as a fitbit, but only recently discovered you have to tell it you're going for a walk...Also wears it to track sleep as of a few weeks ago, once we figured out it doesn't do it natively!
This official guide isn't awful - has step by step guides for the majority of features, including setup, watch faces, etc
Apple Watch - Official Apple Support

You shouldn’t need to tell it you’re going for a walk. It should auto detect this and ask if you’d like to track it. This works for runs as well but you need to start an activity for everything else.

A fitbit is simialr in that it will always count your steps but you need to record a workout to get more data collated.

Apple Watch will also always collate the data, it’s just not shown as an activity. But if you go into the health app, you can see steps and distance covered.

For example, today I ran 5k so the activity tracked that but it the health app

you can see the run sticking out on the charts.
9DE83892-C8C6-4DD4-8B93-1C26E2573937.png
B18425BB-4968-4D5F-BB6F-F91959E60F6F.png

My 3 never used to detect when I was just going for a walk.

My 6 does more often than not.

Hi all. Does anyone use a case on their watch. I have the 44mm Nike one (A2352) and looking to get a case but a little bamboozled by which one??

Hi all. Does anyone use a case on their watch. I have the 44mm Nike one (A2352) and looking to get a case but a little bamboozled by which one??

:thumbsup: Click above link

Does anyone know if Apple store offers free returns please? I have perhaps chosen the worst time to get an AW6 since there are no shops open where I could go and see one in person so I was hoping to order 2 or 3 in order to make a decision and return the unwanted ones.

:thumbsup: Click above link
Got one of these from Amazon. And there perfect. Can hardly tell it’s even got a case on.

A quick bit of advice If anyone has had the same experience?

I picked up a mint Apple Watch series 4 40mm Renewed from Amazon for my daughter. It looks mint and she has been using it for about 5 days now. Battery Health is at 89% so looking at a real winner here for £169.
So my problem is that the battery drains so fast. For example my 44mm series 4 was at 100% when I took it off charge at around 7.30am. My daughter charged her watch to 100% at 11.00am. Buy 3.00pm my watch was on 89% and hers was on 84% in that short space of time.

I have checked that background app refresh is off and have compared battery and settings to my watch. All looks good.
Any ideas folks as its a beauty of a watch and its currently boxed for return and hoping that it could be something else I have missed.
Cheers, Carl

Doesn’t sound that bad to me. What did you expect the battery to be at 3pm?

I have had an Apple Watch 2 from new. With my usage it does just about two days at a push. If I’m out and about using it for navigation it’s 1.5 days.

Notifications and navigation are the battery kills for mine. I turned off the vast majority of the notification, just keep sms and WhatsApp.

Doesn’t sound that bad to me. What did you expect the battery to be at 3pm?

I have had an Apple Watch 2 from new. With my usage it does just about two days at a push. If I’m out and about using it for navigation it’s 1.5 days.

Notifications and navigation are the battery kills for mine. I turned off the vast majority of the notification, just keep sms and WhatsApp.
I expected that the battery would have had more power left than my Apple Watch.
You think so. It lost around 25% in 4 hours, and my watch lost 25% in 7 hours. That cannot be right surely?

You said 11% in 7 hrs in the post above. So you’d roughly get 60 hrs from it. Pretty good isn’t it?

I’d use it for a week and see what happens. You can’t tell anything after 7 hours. It really depends on what it’s doing. Keep all your Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, emails pinging you and it will drain quicker than with them off. Use it to make calls and with maps and I bet I could drain mine in a day if I really tried.

It took me a few week to decide how I wanted to use it and switch the various notifications on and off. I get so much spam email it was annoying getting notifications for those in meeting at work for example.

and it’s no big deal for me to put it on charge most nights.

You said 11% in 7 hrs in the post above. So you’d roughly get 60 hrs from it. Pretty good isn’t it?

I’d use it for a week and see what happens. You can’t tell anything after 7 hours. It really depends on what it’s doing. Keep all your Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, emails pinging you and it will drain quicker than with them off. Use it to make calls and with maps and I bet I could drain mine in a day if I really tried.

It took me a few week to decide how I wanted to use it and switch the various notifications on and off. I get so much spam email it was annoying getting notifications for those in meeting at work for example.
You read the details about my watch. Im fine with my AW.

My daughters was down to 84% in 4 hours. She has been using it for about 5 days

So you’re fine with your watch?

It Would suggest notifications to me. if your daughter is anything like mine she has more friends and social media apps and notifications than me.

Going way off topic here. Not sure how old your daughter is could be 40 😁 but I can’t help myself saying this. My daughter is 22 now. After all the social media pressures, stresses and bullying her friends and other people in the school went through (suicide attempts and even a grooming leading to torture and murder!) the last thing I’d buy my daughter is a watch to notify her of the next social media post. Not criticising your purchase at all I would have done the same. But in hind sight I really didn’t know how dangerous social media is for kids growing up.

Going way off topic here. Not sure how old your daughter is could be 40 😁 but I can’t help myself saying this. My daughter is 22 now. After all the social media pressures, stresses and bullying her friends and other people in the school went through (suicide attempts and even a grooming leading to torture and murder!) the last thing I’d buy my daughter is a watch to notify her of the next social media post. Not criticising your purchase at all I would have done the same. But in hind sight I really didn’t know how dangerous social media is for kids growing up.
I totally agree with the comments you have made.:smashin:

I have zero issues with my watch. I only used it as a comparison of battery.
She is 27 with a husband house and a child. :) She wanted a fitness watch to help her, so I got her an Apple Watch as she knows how good mine and my wife's are. My wife uses hers for notifications and steps Apple Pay. I use mine for running, music, and notifications etc. Apple Pay is a dream to use.

I have been trying to determine if the notifications etc are what is the issue for her watch or is it faulty. Even with a lot of notifications, losing 26% battery in 4 hours cannot be right.
Cheers for your comments, Carl

Definitely worth checking notifications and really getting her to customise it so she only gets what she really wants to be notified about. Essentially this just keeps the watch in standby and therefore conserves battery.

You read the details about my watch. Im fine with my AW.

My daughters was down to 84% in 4 hours. She has been using it for about 5 days
I know this is a silly idea, but can you spend a day with her watch, and see what it does? I did this with my sons as his was draining a bit faster. As others have mentioned, as he is a lot younger than me he gets a lot more notifications than i do, and they seemed to be the issue. We turned them off for a day and his outlasted mine by quite a few %. He also had the screen brightness right up which didn’t help.

I know this is a silly idea, but can you spend a day with her watch, and see what it does? I did this with my sons as his was draining a bit faster. As others have mentioned, as he is a lot younger than me he gets a lot more notifications than i do, and they seemed to be the issue. We turned them off for a day and his outlasted mine by quite a few %. He also had the screen brightness right up which didn’t help.
I dont fancy using a pink watch for a few days LOL.
I am going to give it back to her and go through the notifications to see what its using. If we turn them all off then it defeats the object of the purpose of the watch really. Brightness was some as mine on 2/3 rds. I did check that.
Going to do more testing before returning. I hope I can find the issue as I feel I got a real bargain for a S4 40mm with 89% battery and litterly mint for £169.

Carl

Also, “renewed” by Amazon might mean the battery is not new... just a thought.

I’m still using my 1st Gen (Series zero) 7 year old SS AW. I did put a new battery in it this year.

I’m starting to miss the new features like detecting when I start/stop exercising as sometimes I forget to tell it I’m going for a walk or that I’ve finished rowing for example.

I’m planning on getting a Series 7 this year to replace it and the main reason is so that I can have the heart-rate detection on constantly and visible whilst I workout as I have to keep my heart-rate within a set range - I assume the new ones can do that? I have been using a heart-rate chest strap on the rowing machine but it stops being useful after about half an hour and is a bit of a faff at the best of times.

I dont fancy using a pink watch for a few days LOL.
I am going to give it back to her and go through the notifications to see what its using. If we turn them all off then it defeats the object of the purpose of the watch really. Brightness was some as mine on 2/3 rds. I did check that.
Going to do more testing before returning. I hope I can find the issue as I feel I got a real bargain for a S4 40mm with 89% battery and litterly mint for £169.

Carl
Haha, fair point. Good luck with it though. For heat it’s worth my S4 has a health of 91% and T the end of the day I normally have around 50%. I normally do a 7-10 mile walk each day, with the outdoor walk exercise app running. I also listen to music from the watch as I dont normally take my phone.
I don’t have many friends so don’t get a lot of notifications though lol.

Also, “renewed” by Amazon might mean the battery is not new... just a thought.

I’m still using my 1st Gen (Series zero) 7 year old SS AW. I did put a new battery in it this year.

I’m starting to miss the new features like detecting when I start/stop exercising as sometimes I forget to tell it I’m going for a walk or that I’ve finished rowing for example.

I’m planning on getting a Series 7 this year to replace it and the main reason is so that I can have the heart-rate detection on constantly and visible whilst I workout as I have to keep my heart-rate within a set range - I assume the new ones can do that? I have been using a heart-rate chest strap on the rowing machine but it stops being useful after about half an hour and is a bit of a faff at the best of times.
It is very possible a replacement battery, but have a feeling its the original based on 4 family members all having around the same battery health, and the fact the watch looks inn immaculate condition after some very detailed inspection by myself with a magnifying glass.

I think the most important thing might be that the battery always last a full day so it can simply be charged each night? Sounds like you got a great deal if that’s the case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom